PDA

View Full Version : 82 GS 750 electrical prob

Earthbender
03-24-2010, 11:01 AM
So this is gonna be my first attempt at resurrecting a bike that has been sitting for a year. My knowledge is limited so bare with me on the stupid questions which I promise will be frequent.

I got this bike for zippo so I figure I'm way ahead already. The guy said when he parked it, all it needed was a new starter. So not believing him , I charged up the old battery, which was weak, turned the key and blew the main fuse.Hmm? Maybe the fuse was already blown. I ran some wire off the battery from my triumph and blew the main fuse again. My idea for the bike is obviously, get it running and then go from there. But Im stumped already. Any ideas as to what could be blowing the fuse?

viz
03-24-2010, 3:13 PM
Check your battery cables and make sure they are tight and in good shape. Also, You could have a chafed power wire grounding out somewhere maybe? Hard to say. Just going to have to go thru the wiring and make sure everythings hooked up correctly no spliced or chafed wires and connections are all tight.

Earthbender
03-24-2010, 3:30 PM
I started tracing the wiring and this thing has definatley been wired and rewired. splicing and quick connects everywhere. I think my best bet is to go thru everything and get rid of what I know I'm not gonnause, blinkers. high beams, etc. and start from there. He actually used tape on the blinkers.

viz
03-24-2010, 3:39 PM
If it has been messed with badly you are def. better off going thru and cutting it down to the bare essentials.

WOMPY
03-24-2010, 4:25 PM
I would start with a diagram in one hand and a clean sheet of paper in the other hand. Before any cutting is done, make sure all the wires that should be there are there (don't worry about lights or accesories yet. Look at the connections from the reg to the stator, starter to relay and ignition, ignition start to coils. The wires that ussually confuse alot of people are the neutral switch or clutch switch wired into the start button, the color of grounds, not always the same color throughout the bike, and starter relay connections when tampered with.
If you can get a diagram online it would be best that way you can enlarge the pic in the area you're focusing on making it less of a tangled mess.
GOOD LUCK.