PDA

View Full Version : 1200 build questions?

bloodyclutch
10-20-2013, 10:08 PM
I am in the process of building a 1200 an I am going to put some better cams in it but am not really looking to do any head work. So my question is what is the best upgraded cam can I use with only getting adjustable push rods ?

BrokenSprocketGarage
10-21-2013, 5:18 AM
You want what is referred to as a "bolt in" cam. This means it will work with sock valve train components.
Assuming you are doing a 883 to 1200 conversion? Here is what I recommend. Wiseco reverse dome pistons 9.5:1. Bore your stock cylinders. Andrews N4 cams. Use the stock pushrods(lighter than adjustables), Single fire Ignition by Daytona Twin Tec. Carb kit with adjustable slide needle. Or a Mikuni flat slide carb. Larger rear pulley or sprocket makes it more fun (more torque) also.
Zippers and Red shift also have some hot bolt in cams.

junkyardxl
10-21-2013, 8:35 AM
What year? 03 down can hold up to 500 lift while the newer heads can hold up to 550

bloodyclutch
10-22-2013, 9:52 PM
No its just a 1200 I bought in pieces an would like to do a little work to it while its apart. An it is a 1998 motor. These cams that have the 500 lift who makes them an are they bolt in or do I need more work done ?

junkyardxl
10-22-2013, 11:05 PM
No its just a 1200 I bought in pieces an would like to do a little work to it while its apart. An it is a 1998 motor. These cams that have the 500 lift who makes them an are they bolt in or do I need more work done ?

Screaming eagle .497 s or Andrews N4s

Jakemon
10-25-2013, 8:44 PM
I currently run N4 cams in my bike and they work just fine. I have also run N2 and I am not sure what good they were.

Do some research on spring specs on HD heads. I know that the 883 and 1200 heads were different in the valve sizes but not sure on the springs. Over cam the springs is no beuno and fuck shit up.

Once you are sure you know the specs on your heads you can simply go to Andrews cams and look at their tech specs for sporty cams. They have made a shit ton of cams for different applications. Each set has a max lift for the valve spring. Do not exceed.

My N4's still have very reasonable street manors and that makes a difference to me as I am in the city. Asking questions is good but doing your own research is always best.

Good luck,

Jakemon

bloodyclutch
10-25-2013, 10:41 PM
K thank you for the help.