PDA

View Full Version : GMA "Low Life/Lo-Down" Digger Frames

atomicage
03-22-2010, 11:23 AM
Looking for any additional info about the GMA frames made by Bill Gardner in the late 70's. I picked one up recently and intend on building it up. Mine has the bolt in plates for KZ900/1000, but I know a Honda version was also available.

Does anyone know if the Honda 750 version is the same frame with different bolt in mounting plates? If the only difference is the mounting plates, has anyone ever made one for Honda 750 or have a template?

What years were these made from?

How many were made? I have only seen three so far, the original "Low Life", the one I have, and a Honda 750 in an old magazine. Who else has one floating around?

Anybody else have one of these built up or still together? It would be great to see some others.

-Mike

JohnnyCoonass
04-03-2010, 5:35 AM
Check this out, I own that bike LOL

ARBY
04-03-2010, 6:19 AM
Geez. I have fond memories of those days.

AnthemMetal
04-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Check this out, I own that bike LOL

Oh Damn thats cool!

You got some history on it?

JohnnyCoonass
04-03-2010, 7:19 PM
Sept 1978 street chopper cover bike built by Bill Gardner to showcase this frame from his new company, Gardner M/C Accesories. Paint by Sunshine Custom Paint, Striped by Dave Bell, he did the Jock E. Shift cartoons for street chopper and now does the Henry HiRise for street rodder. Great bike, I almost sold it recently but the deal fell through, Kinda glad!!!

Joey
04-04-2010, 9:11 AM
I worked for the now-defunct GMA for awhile. Nice parts, good quality.
Wouldn't care to see Bill or his shop manager again if you paid me, and I left on my terms. Just not nice people.

That being said he has/had some really cool stuff.

JohnnyCoonass
04-04-2010, 3:20 PM
Anyway I can contact him?

Joey
04-04-2010, 5:18 PM

Good luck
I'll do some sniffin around and see if he is still in town.
You might start by calling BDL just to see if they have contact info? Your bike may be of interest to him.
BDL # 714-685-3331

I'll see what I can find out around here this week

atomicage
04-04-2010, 6:26 PM

I tried to get a contact for Bill Gardner through the BDL/GMA channel, but had no luck.

What's really funny is that I saw that the "Low Life" was up for sale recently so it was fresh in my head. When I went to look at a roller for sale locally, I recognized it immediately because of yours.
Weird how stuff like that happens.

These are a good quality frames with nice lines. Mine has the same rear fender as yours, but a Ness Rocket tank.

At least there are two left.

JohnnyCoonass
04-04-2010, 9:34 PM
any pics?

JohnnyCoonass
04-08-2010, 4:58 AM
Any word on contact info for Bill Gardner?

atomicage
04-08-2010, 8:59 PM
any pics?

Here are a few poorly lit cell phone pictures.

The invaders did not come with it, but I layed them out tho show the direction I'm going in. I'm planning on losing the front end and replacing it with a Fred's springer. I'm so cheap into this project that I can afford to blow a little on a good front end (I have a freds springer on a different bike and it's great). I'm about $580 into that pile as it sits, including the invaders and a decent CB750 donor bike.

I still can't tell if this was ever a finished bike, or just a project that never got completed. Other than surface rust, it is in good shape. Nice mild molding and remnants of hidden wires through the frame. I stripped off a little paint to see if there was any color underneath. Nope always black.

I won't get into this project till next year. I have a lot going on with other projects. Plus I'm the type of guy who likes to wait until all the pieces are in place before I start. I keep collecting parts and planning until I'm ready.

Any others out there? Any others still together?

-Mike

Joey
04-08-2010, 9:15 PM
Any word on contact info for Bill Gardner?

I'm coming up empty all over. Seems he fell off the map. I hear he is still in town yet no one knows where. Omaha ain't that big.

JohnnyCoonass
04-09-2010, 5:03 AM
Frame looks to be in good shape. Thanks anyway Joey, if you happen to hear of anything let me know.