PDA

View Full Version : xs650 advice please!

sirwigston
03-22-2010, 6:19 AM
hey guys.. i bought this half done project, am hoping to get some good advice on what can happen next... id like to chop out all the original bits between the back wheel and the backbone to clean it up a whole lot, but don't want to compromise strength.. thoughts? any input much appreciated! cheers

lang
03-22-2010, 9:17 AM
Honestly, I'd cut off everything south of the backbone and have it re-hardtailed. I don't think the re-used axle plates look strong enough, the bent top rails look wonky and half-assed, and I don't like the way the re-used mid-control mounts look. I know the fong bros use those mid-mounts a lot, but I think it's too much crap in there just to hang some pegs on.

Flip side, I dig the front end.

As is, you can definitely cut off the passenger peg mounts, and if there is some other cross-member and you gusset the seat area, you could probably cut out the triangle in the middle where the battery box was.

slimvulcanrider
03-22-2010, 1:22 PM
^^X2^^ the south end needs to go bye bye...

trainwreck13
03-22-2010, 6:45 PM
Yeah that frame is fubar, whack the backend off and start from scratch. On the plus side you've got an xs1 front drum hub and it looks like xs1 forks too. That hub is prolly one of my favorite parts of my bike. Just make sure that you turn your front wheel around cuz its mounted backwards....

Frankenfab
03-22-2010, 6:49 PM
I concur. That shit needs to go. Looks dangerous IMO.

philbey
03-22-2010, 8:29 PM
Gday mate - you bought this sucker off ebay a few weeks back didn't you? In Adelaide?

I had a look at this sucker as well, you got some good bits on there, especially that front end. Looks like you've cleaned it up a fair bit?

Definitely chop the back end properly. Drop Dan a line at slicendice kustoms slicendicekustoms.bo (http://slicendicekustoms.blogspot.com/) he'll be able to sort you out with a hardtail. I used a TC Bros hardtail shipped in from the states, but I'll use one of Dans next time.

Whereabouts in Adelaide/SA are you? I'm down Blackwood way?

philbey
03-22-2010, 8:31 PM
ahh just checked your profile, I see you're in Brissy. That's definitely the bike from Adelaide though isn't it?

sirwigston
03-22-2010, 9:38 PM
g'day mate, yeah its the one from adelaide, noticed another thread where you mentioned something that sounded familiar and thought that was pretty funny.. and apparently it was originally from QLD so im told...

i have cleaned it up a bit, and will be giving old mate at slice n dice a yell soon... didn't really want to have to redo the back end, just tidy it up a whole bunch but after hearing everyones input it might have to go... and i'm bloody stoked on the xs1 front end!

cheers

philbey
03-23-2010, 6:47 PM
Actually, the one I mentioned wasn't this one; there was an actual XS1 that went on ebay in adelaide, finished 2 days after this one you scored. I didn't bid on yours because I was gunning for this other one, the bloke ended up listing it as an SX650 so nobody saw it. I missed out on that as well, got outbid with 3 seconds left, went for 850, an absolute steal!

I actually looked at this one you bought though, before I found the other one. Definitely a good base, personally I'd get in there and cut out all that extra tubing they left from the old swingarm. You could probably use the rear dropouts etc though.

Good to see another aussie doing it. Pity you're not down here though, I'm looking for some local blokes to talk choppers with!

Sasquatch
03-23-2010, 7:17 PM
it will look so much better!