PDA

View Full Version : 81 ironhead, school me please!

SangreDeDios
09-27-2013, 9:10 AM
just picked up an 81 ironhead. I come from the xs650 world, traded one of my xs bobbers for this contraption. Been messing with bikes for years mainly jap stuff so this is a new territory for me.
I just have some basic questions about it, maybe someone can help a light skin fellow out.
its an 81, looks to have a bolt on hardtail that someone tigged on. According to the PO it has a 1200 kit, Y cams (someone enlighten me), New clutch, some sort of aftermarket ignition (not points according to the guy but he bought it that way of course lol), I haven't been able to verify that yet, the screw holding the points cover is stripped, gotta get it out. but I did notice it has a brand new coil. Also noticed that it has what looks to be brand new cycle electrix generator and regulator.
let's see, what else. The forwards I don't like at all, switching to mids asap, it runs but not very well but I was able to take it around the block a couple of times. The PO cut the pipes short, it backfires alit and the idle isn't great.
trying to figure out what carb it has, I'm thinking stock, Harley Davidson stamp is on it, these came with Keihin carb right? anyone know what specific one and could point me to a tuning guide maybe?
Also noticed some shake in the front end, gonna check the bearings , neck and wheel.
After messing with the carbs and trying to start it for a while the battery went down so I gotta recharge it, seems kinda quick to go down but it's electric start only sui I guess that's normal after hitting the start 20 times?
and lastly not sure if you can see from the pic but is that a stock caliper in the back? it's loose as hell and it seems to only be grabbing a small part of the rotor. that ain't right.

I hate to be "that guy" with all the newby questions but if anyone has any useful info or pointers or answers to my questions feel free.

Now time to get all of the ugly bits stripped off of it.

thanks!

http://www.chopcult.com/uploads_user/3000/2337/85414.jpg (http://www.chopcult.com/uploads_user/3000/2337/85414.jpg)

jasonknezo
09-27-2013, 10:47 AM
More pics would certainly be helpful.

Aftermarket hard tail. Looks to be a 2" stretch, not sure on drop
Cycle electric generator/regulator (this is the best thing on here)
caliper resembles a cut up 79-81 caliper with some sort of custom bracket.

I have a spare 84-85 bracket which works exceptionally well with Mike from 47 Industries mod for hardtail brake.

just picked up an 81 ironhead. Stock would have been a 1000 cc motor

its an 81, looks to have a bolt on hardtail that someone tigged on. According to the PO it has a 1200 kit, No bolt on 1200 kit I am aware of for 1000 cc ironhead motors.

Y cams (someone enlighten me) Andrews products Y cams. Good cams.

New clutch, some sort of aftermarket ignition (not points according to the guy but he bought it that way of course lol),
Also noticed that it has what looks to be brand new cycle electrix generator and regulator. Correct.
let's see, what else. The forwards I don't like at all, switching to mids asap, it runs but not very well but I was able to take it around the block a couple of times. The PO cut the pipes short, it backfires alit and the idle isn't great. Keihin carbs like at least a 20"-22" pipe. That can't be helping[/B

]trying to figure out what carb it has, I'm thinking stock, Harley Davidson stamp is on it, these came with Keihin carb right? anyone know what specific one and could point me to a tuning guide maybe? [B]Post a pic

Also noticed some shake in the front end, gonna check the bearings , neck and wheel.
After messing with the carbs and trying to start it for a while the battery went down so I gotta recharge it, seems kinda quick to go down but it's electric start only sui I guess that's normal after hitting the start 20 times? Battery probably wasnt fully charged. Buy a battery tender and let it sit overnight before messing with it again.

jorgun
09-27-2013, 1:03 PM
Y cams gonna idle rough(lopie) May or may not be enough advance on the timing could be the hard starting issue. A lot of the rest need more pics for.

Just my .02 cents

maxcapacity
09-27-2013, 1:57 PM
If the cams were recently installed they may have gotten the pushrods too tight. Also IH intake seals are prone to leak. You should have the rubber band type on an 81 which are better, but not fool proof. Check for intake leaks and fix those before trying to tune anything else.

Also, that does look like the stock 81 rear brake that's been cobble on. As the other poster said, ditch that. The later style mounts on the axle and can be retrofit easiliy for use on a hardail. The best (IMO) is the 2000-03 evo sportster caliper. It mounts just like a softail caliper and works very well.

muttblbc
09-27-2013, 2:31 PM
make sure you flash the genny everytime you disconnect and then reconnect the battery or generator. to do this on a cycle electric you run a jumper between the post that connects the reg to the battery and the armature post for 2 seconds. I learned the expensive way.