PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Austin, where to live?

stevebeard
09-23-2013, 12:02 PM
Me and three of my buddies are moving to austin come the first of the year. We all plan on renting a place togeather. We would like to be close to downtown I would say 15min drive max and have a garage. I need room to wrench and space for my lathe and bridgport.

What areas do you guys suggest we look at.

ihateminimumwage
09-23-2013, 7:19 PM
Me and three of my buddies are moving to austin come the first of the year. We all plan on renting a place togeather. We would like to be close to downtown I would say 15min drive max and have a garage. I need room to wrench and space for my lathe and bridgport.

What areas do you guys suggest we look at.

Look just outside of the South Congress area. Downtown can be a real shit show, and there are plenty of bars, good food and good music in the area (although all you really need is The Continental Club, IMHO).

sportyguy
09-24-2013, 1:29 PM
I would say as close to your work as feesable. Traffic can be a bitch!

stevebeard
09-25-2013, 7:58 AM
If it were only that easy. All 4 of us that are moving will be looking for employment when we get there. Im sure its gonna be hard to find a place the close to everybodys job.

Ive also heard to look in Hyde Park, is it worth a look?

Blackhalo
09-25-2013, 4:44 PM
You live where you can afford... if downtown is your thing, then look for places there and work your way outwards until the prices meet your budget.

North is urban sprawl, roads are nicer, but you don't get any of what makes Austin great (indie restaurants, social atmospheres, etc).

East and South are the desirable areas for those of us with typical means, though that's changing quickly... the wealthy tend to live Central, West and somewhat North... you'll figure all this out with a few hours on Trulia, HotPads, etc.

You should know, Austin is a competitive housing market... you need to battle to find a place, it's not easy... you generally take what you can get, and it'll cost more than you wanna pay... if you want a garage, forget about the East side... look South (or North).

Bottom line, skim the entire ATX thread for more info like this...
it's been discussed before:

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22587&page=43

stevebeard
09-26-2013, 8:49 AM
You live where you can afford... if downtown is your thing, then look for places there and work your way outwards until the prices meet your budget.

North is urban sprawl, roads are nicer, but you don't get any of what makes Austin great (indie restaurants, social atmospheres, etc).

East and South are the desirable areas for those of us with typical means, though that's changing quickly... the wealthy tend to live Central, West and somewhat North... you'll figure all this out with a few hours on Trulia, HotPads, etc.

You should know, Austin is a competitive housing market... you need to battle to find a place, it's not easy... you generally take what you can get, and it'll cost more than you wanna pay... if you want a garage, forget about the East side... look South (or North).

Bottom line, skim the entire ATX thread for more info like this...
it's been discussed before:

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22587&page=43

sounds good thanks man