PDA

View Full Version : Restoring old faded plastic switch housings - Any tips?

BigAssSack
09-16-2013, 7:48 AM
I just picked up a '75 Honda ST90 I'm looking at restoring. Its pretty rough, and I don't want to replace anything, trying to keep it as original as possible. Anyone know any tricks for bringing back faded black plastic switch housings and faded red switches?

Jetblack
09-16-2013, 3:11 PM
I made a product that does this, I haven't marketed it yet... it comes out looking like new and won't re-oxidize, it's great for vinyl and rubber too. But I'm not parting with my recipe... :p If you PM me your address, I'll gladly send you some for free; if you post an honest review of it.

Kozak1
09-16-2013, 3:54 PM
I've had luck using a heat gun on the parts and come out looking brand new.

Keltikrewser
09-16-2013, 6:09 PM
This stuff works great.

Wizards Black Renew (http://cycleplicity.com/products/105660-wizards_66309_black_renew_exterior_treatment_8_oz_ _bottle.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=105660NOFITMENT&utm_campaign=GSNOFITMENT&adtype=pla&kw=&utm_term=&adpos=1o2&network=g&gclid=CICdoJ-R0bkCFYtDMgodi2AANw)

I get it locally, but you can get it all over the web.

junkman
09-16-2013, 10:05 PM
Forever Black, Its actually a dye. And it lasts. Have used it on switches, speedo rings, anything plastic or rubber.

mountainryder
09-17-2013, 6:32 PM
I used less than a bottle of "Wipe New" to restor the plastic body panels of my Honda Element (I know, its a cage), the stuff works. I dont have much plastic on my bike, so cant say how it would clean old switches. It costs about $25 for a small bottle, which did a whole Element ( a SUV, 50% of it covered in plastic)