PDA

View Full Version : Billy Lane

EnglandStGarage
08-14-2009, 11:11 AM
guess he just got 6 years for mowing down a fellow biker while drunk in his pick up. heres the story.

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20090814/BREAKINGNEWS/90813007&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

payupcycles
08-14-2009, 11:26 AM
its a bad thing for both partys involved

boogieman
08-14-2009, 11:47 AM
Yeah, that was a terrible thing for both parties.

Please remember this shit when drinking... don't drive. This one "little" mistake screwed the dead guy, screwed his family, and screwed Lane's life/family and probably screwed Lane's career too.

All of this tragedy for such an easy to make mistake.

BigE
08-14-2009, 11:48 AM
What happened to the dreads? Downright respectable. He loses his licence for LIFE!!!
He's lucky he didn't get charged with murder. That's what DAs are pushing for now. Sucks for all involved.

Spoke
08-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Thats' a drag! I met Billy a couple of time's and he is a nice guy, but that drinking and driving shit just don't cut it.

jfk
08-14-2009, 12:09 PM
"But the judge sided with prosecutor Tom Brown who said a non-prison would have sent the wrong message that fame and money buys freedom. "

It is a very sad situation but didn't a football player just get a month or two for the same thing?

xharleyx
08-14-2009, 12:17 PM
"But the judge sided with prosecutor Tom Brown who said a non-prison would have sent the wrong message that fame and money buys freedom. "

It is a very sad situation but didn't a football player just get a month or two for the same thing?

i believe you are right about that. I knew nothing about this until just now.

BigDawg
08-14-2009, 12:37 PM

Yeah, but Billy wasn't football player rich.

flipper
08-14-2009, 12:44 PM
just found out oneof my favorite builders billy lane got sentenced six years.it sucks for billy ,but when you fuck up like he did there are real world consequences.

americanjunky
08-14-2009, 1:02 PM
You know this is kind of strange, I was/am so not interested in the whole 30K, wide tire, custom scene. That I had no idea this had even happened. Let alone that he was sentenced today.
I am fully aware of who he is etc.
I just had no idea that this even happened. I feel bad for the 56 year old dude's family, damn that's messed up, your out for a little tavern run and a world famous bike builder makes you and your bike, a stain on the concrete.

americanjunky
08-14-2009, 1:08 PM
Yeah, that was a terrible thing for both parties.

Please remember this shit when drinking... don't drive. This one "little" mistake screwed the dead guy, screwed his family, and screwed Lane's life/family and probably screwed Lane's career too.

All of this tragedy for such an easy to make mistake.

I think the most important part is the biker that got mowed down, his poor family has to live with the fact . Granted Lanes' family does also but in 6 years one get's to come home...

WayneBallard
08-14-2009, 1:19 PM
I have no problem with how long he got. He was drunk and killed a dude, 6 years seems kinda weak in my opinion.

NITRO
08-14-2009, 1:39 PM
Its just bad. I mean we all ride, I know I'm very aware of riders on the road when i'm in a car or truck. When a guy who makes his living building bikes mows someone down it just looks bad

BlueCollarMoto
08-14-2009, 1:54 PM
billy lane, billy lane, billy lane, billy lane, billy lane, billy lane, billy lane, billy lane, billy lane,
billy lane, billy lane, billy lane, billy lane, billy lane, billy lane, billy lane, billy lane, billy lane,
billy lane, billy lane, billy lane, billy lane, billy lane, billy lane, billy lane, billy lane, billy lane.

There! I just had to get that out of my system.

jfk
08-14-2009, 2:16 PM
You are not gonna see me wearing a free Biily Lane shirt any time soon. I was just pointing out the double standard in america's judicial system.

BlueCollarMoto
08-14-2009, 3:05 PM
You are not gonna see me wearing a free Biily Lane shirt any time soon. I was just pointing out the double standard in america's judicial system.

Yep they made a "bobber Chopper" out of the word justice.
Or a suicide shifter.

MCKENNA209
08-14-2009, 3:27 PM
Not saying that I have never driven drunk or tipsy, but if I had killed someone while doing it I should have been shot in the head. By the way I did that shit while I was young and stupid. He was not young! Fuck Billy give him the chair.

WayneBallard
08-14-2009, 3:32 PM
It's really odd that it took 3 years just to put him in jail.

MCKENNA209
08-14-2009, 3:41 PM
6 years for somenes life. You call that putting the hammer down. What fuckind planet are you on. Quit feeling sorry for the guy.

bhead1968
08-14-2009, 3:48 PM
Way I look at it, what if it was my Son, Dad, Brother, mom, who was killed... story changes very easy then. He made his choice he is damn lucky he only got 6 years...

RockinRyan
08-14-2009, 5:46 PM
If it had been any one of us, We'd be doing 15 years. Billy got off easy, period.

One of my buddies got a DUI about a year or so ago. He got zero sympathy from me. There's no excuse for drinking and driving IMO.

Paul
08-14-2009, 8:20 PM
I have no problem with how long he got. He was drunk and killed a dude, 6 years seems kinda weak in my opinion.

...how much of that 6 do you think he will actually serve?

swellguy
08-14-2009, 10:23 PM
Wasn't the guy he ran into also legally drunk?

Gommorah
08-14-2009, 10:33 PM
fuckers lucky the judge didn't make him stand in front of a speeding semi whle the dead dude's family cheered the trucker on. drunk dumb asses deserve everything they get..............

imtheslime
08-14-2009, 10:50 PM
It is a shitty situation for every one, especially the family. He's got to feel like a real piece of shit, if I made those decisions and caused a family that kind of loss I would. May not make it six years before he strings himself up...

Luke
08-14-2009, 11:01 PM
I wonder if Lane will continue building bikes after prison seeing his license is gone for life. He will probably do half that time with good behavior.

jason43
08-14-2009, 11:17 PM
Sucks all around.

In 2002-3ish, I had to write a report for english in college about what my dream career would be, and I picked own a bike shop. I went around to the local guys and interviewed/talked to them and I figured fuck it, I'll write the guys that are on biker build-off. Out of all the emails I wrote, Billy Lane is the only one who actually took the time to write me back, and he answered all my questions and seemed like a cool guy. I have always respected him for that, because it was at the peak of the biker "reality" TV show popularity and he took time out to write some dumb kid who dreamed of building bikes but didn't even own one at the time.

I hope that both sides, guy who got killeds family and Billy, can get through this the best that they can. It sucks to go to jail for years over something so stupid, and it sucks more to die over it. Drunk driving is retarded...

WayneBallard
08-14-2009, 11:21 PM

I'm not sure because he has 6 years in the pen then 3 years on supervised probation. But the note I just noticed is that Billy looses his license for LIFE.

nickle
08-15-2009, 12:00 AM
Mistakes are made. Drunk driving in my opinion is of course dangerous, but what he got is what he got. I hope him well and a sound incarseration.

mad750
08-15-2009, 12:10 AM
<object classid='clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000' codebase='http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0' width='320' height='305' id='embeddedplayer'><param name='movie' value='http://gannett.a.mms.mavenapps.net/mms/rt/1/site/gannett-brevard-028-pub01-live/current/articleplayer/singleclip/client/embedded/embedded.swf'/><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true'/><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always'/><param name='scale' value='noscale'/><param name='salign' value='LT'/><param name='bgcolor' value='#000000'/><param name='wmode' value='window'/><param name='FlashVars' value='playerId=articleplayer&referralObject=1215195520&adServerBasePath=http://gannett.gcion.com/adrawdata/.0/5111.1/473357/0/0/header=yes;cc=2;cookie=info;alias=&adPositionId=Video_prestream&adSiteId=fl-brevard.flatoday.com/&SSTSCode=news/breakingnews/article.htm&gpaperCode=gpaper114,gntbcstglobal&marketName=Brevard:floridatoday&division=newspaper&pageContentCategory=BREAKINGNEWS&pageContentSubcategory=BREAKINGNEWS'/><embed type='application/x-shockwave-flash' src='http://gannett.a.mms.mavenapps.net/mms/rt/1/site/gannett-brevard-028-pub01-live/current/articleplayer/singleclip/client/embedded/embedded.swf' id='embeddedplayer' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer' menu='false' quality='high' play='false' name='articleplayer' height='305' width='320' allowFullScreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always' scale='noscale' salign='LT' bgcolor='#000000' wmode='window' flashvars='playerId=articleplayer&referralObject=1215195520&adServerBasePath=http://gannett.gcion.com/adrawdata/.0/5111.1/473357/0/0/header=yes;cc=2;cookie=info;alias=&adPositionId=Video_prestream&adSiteId=fl-brevard.flatoday.com/&SSTSCode=news/breakingnews/article.htm&gpaperCode=gpaper114,gntbcstglobal&marketName=Brevard:floridatoday&division=newspaper&pageContentCategory=BREAKINGNEWS&pageContentSubcategory=BREAKINGNEWS'/></object>

clay
08-15-2009, 8:54 AM

federal prison you do 5 for 6. i wanna say that state is 90% but i'm probably wrong about that

Boylecomm
08-15-2009, 9:12 AM
Junk Pile.

AustinPaul
08-16-2009, 12:15 AM
junk post...Let it go.

Konaboy1972
08-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Dude, the fucking bottom line here is if you are going to party, have a good time, and consume alcohol you need to be man enough to take care of your self. That may mean not riding your bike, or car, or truck, or hotrod all loaded and maybe hitch a ride or take a fucking taxi. It sucks that Billy Lane had to go to prison for having a good time but he crossed a line. We all know the difference from right and wrong right? The really sad thing for him is, besides the fact he killed some dude, he has lost his license for the rest of his life. when he does get out of prison he can't even get on a bike and go for a ride. At least he maned up for his actions and did not try to use some of his money to weasel out of it. OK, I am rambling....Ya'll get the point. Have fun brothers but remember to be safe!

honkey84
08-16-2009, 2:39 PM
He cut the dreads to "look" more respectable in the court room. He was advised by his lawyer to do that. In some of the other articles that I have read they said the other guy that was killed was over the legal limit. Not sure if its true or not...

suprbikr99
08-16-2009, 11:17 PM
Good to see he took responsibility for his actions and faced the consequences. It doesn't make up for the bad choice he made and the life he took in the accident, but at least he did the right thing in the end I suppose. It sucks that he hit another biker, which is unfortunately ironic. Hopefully the family of the victim are staying strong and dealing with their loss.

seventhirteen
08-18-2009, 3:32 PM
drunk driver hits and kills a drunk driver, ironic, price you pay, 6 years is harsh in comparison to the typical 1 year most of the drunk killers I seen pass thru the system. believe it's the maximum sentence for vehicular manslaughter even.

not sure about that state but here in california you'll do about 60% of your time, typically

shiftace
08-20-2009, 9:08 AM
if he's a good boy he'll do 3 max. have some serious restitution and probably have a hefty civil suit to settle to the family. Hopefully those trucker girl taillights and bagger floorboards are hot sellers...he'll need some $$$.

spike
08-20-2009, 1:57 PM
Billy was always cool in the "biker build-off" series. But it always showed him at shows with a bottle in his paws. Wish he never did that. He still is a good guy and one awesome guy to talk to. Jeeeeeeez,who's next? Indian larry,billy lane etc.

SpeedJunkies
08-22-2009, 12:39 AM
hey Maybe they will have a reality show while he is in Prison... build a bike with other inmates...

dalebfast
08-31-2009, 4:10 AM
Jeez, I never even knew. Of course, I don't watch much TV. Except SOA, because that's so real... Anyway, drinkiing is not mixed with vehicles and firearms, and guitars, because then you play sloppy. When will we ever learn???

JKJ
09-02-2009, 4:18 PM
It is a pretty shitty situation all around, I believe the guy he hit was also drunk (not an excuse at all) and from what I understand the guy he hit's family asked for the lowest sentence but as someone mentioned in a previous post the judge wanted to send a message (a good message to send). I work in LE (dont hate me) and have seen a number of people get alot less time for the same type of offense. He'll do around 80% of his sentence and the post release supervision is like probation. He'll get his license back after he gets out because his lawyer will argue that because he is a bike builder being able to ride his bikes to events etc. is part of his job and he will win as the courts generally allow people to drive to work, he'll get some type of conditional license after all the hype goes away. As far as his time goes he'll probably be working as a teacher in one of the prison system's many metal shops and will more than likely have a pretty easy run as I'm sure the correctional staff that ride bikes will be having Mr. Lane build them parts/make repairs on their bikes, I mean after all if you had a builder of his caliber available to you free of charge you'd probably take advantage of his skills. I just hope he learned his lesson, I met him a couple times over the years and he was always pretty cool, his shop sent me and my platoon a bunch of shit while we deployed to iraq.... Pretty shitty all around!!

KawiDave
09-09-2009, 4:20 PM
Somebody said a few posts back that he cut his dreds for the judge, maybe true I don't know. I did see him in fayetteville arkansas last year and he didn't have em. As far as the time he's going to be serving, that sucks. I just like most of you( don't fuckin deny it you know you do) go barhoppin all the time, and I sure hope I never have to deal with something like this. I do kinda feel bad for the guy, but at the same time he's an avid builder and rider. He should always be lookin for bikes, ALWAYS!

Rico05R
09-09-2009, 9:10 PM
He'll probably do 20 months and be out. And does anyone really think he won't be riding again whether he has a license or not? Fuck Billy Lane.

bhead1968
01-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Well-known Fla. biker fixes state vehicles behind bars

VIERA - A motorcycle shop owner who appeared on the Discovery Channel's Biker Build-Off is fixing Florida Department of Corrections vehicles while he's serving a prison sentence.

A state prison spokeswoman said Billy Lane was assigned to the corrections motor pool four months ago.

Lane is serving a six-year sentence, followed by three years of probation, for the traffic death of a biker. A judge also ordered his driver's license suspended for life, along with random drug and alcohol testing after his release from prison.

Police said Lane's blood-alcohol level was more than twice the legal limit when he crossed a double-yellow line to speed past three cars on a road south of Melbourne Beach in 2006. He crashed his pickup head-on into a motorcycle driven by Jerry Morelock.

Copyright 2010, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

TatdGasser
01-04-2010, 11:53 AM
I had a friend who was drunk driving and killed an old man. He couldn't take the guilt so he killed himself, I don't know if I can blame him. That's gotta be one of the worst things to live for, knowing how badly you screwed up.

beanhead78
01-05-2010, 4:44 PM
my little cousin just got out two mos ago after spending ten years for involuntary manslaughter. about eleven yrs ago on new years day he nailed a family killing the wife in the passenger seat. fucked the husband up pretty bad but he and his kids lived. the only reason my cousin got 10 is because he had warrants for other alchohol and drug related offenses. i love the kid but ten yrs are you fucking kidding me? we were pretty close before he went in but i think he should have rotted in prison. if i did that to somebodys family i think i would do the same as tatdgassers buddy. oh and just to let you know my dad had to kick my cousin out of his house about two weeks ago for coming in every night shitfaced drunk. im no angel myself but i know my limits. fuck billy lane he deservs to get shot in the face by one of that guys family members.

tnichoson
01-15-2010, 2:37 PM
[ fuck billy lane he deservs to get shot in the face by one of that guys family members.[/QUOTE]

well said

NeoDutch
01-16-2010, 12:04 AM
When he gets out all you haters will be back to buying him beer and nuzzling his ball sack.

jonnyrtn
01-17-2010, 10:49 PM
^^^^^^ and sticking hood ornaments on your fuel tanks....

revmike
01-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Billy Lane lost me with the hubless wheel. granted it was interesting, but just because you can, doesnt mean you should. that was the point choppers left the main service road as far as i was concerned...

~Rev Mike

Jashole
01-20-2010, 1:32 PM
wow. im late. but holy shit bill lane!!

turtle
01-21-2010, 9:12 PM
yea a shame

beanhead78
01-22-2010, 9:48 PM
When he gets out all you haters will be back to buying him beer and nuzzling his ball sack.

nah, pinstriped lugz , dreads, and hubless bikes. i think hes always been a butt douche.

ARBY
03-13-2010, 3:17 PM
Wasn't the guy he ran into also legally drunk?

What's your point?

albertahawk
05-11-2010, 2:31 PM
it was a shitty situation for both yes but you have to hand it to the family about what they said that there father wouldnt have wanted this and that type of punishment they were obviously upset but could see from the other side which usually never happens.its easy for us all the judge the situation because it wasnt our family that it happened to i agree that if you cant drive sober and you get caught more then once regardless if you killed someone or not you shouldnt have a liscence anymore

upsidedownbob
05-11-2010, 3:11 PM
I know that not everyone will agree, but being a recovering acoholic that has been sober for the past 4 years I have been in positions where the right choice wasn't made. Luckily for me i didn't kill anyone or hurt them. What happened was terrible and it should be a lesson to us all. I hope he learns from it and some positive things can come from it. He is still a human and humans make judgement calls and not all of them are correct. That being said the guy made some cool shit and some orver the top bling shit that wasn't for me. i look forward to seeing what will happen with him in 6 yrs.

Frankenfab
05-11-2010, 10:18 PM
Yup. When I was still drinking I could have easily done far far worse and not even remembered it. Definitely. That doesn't make it ok, it's just the reality of hard drinking becoming a daily deal etc shit getting out of hand.
Totally understand what you are saying though. I would wager to say that MOST people have been just as fucking wasted and behind the wheel at some point. Most just get lucky enough to not hurt someone other than themselves in the process of hitting bottom.

Aetsh
05-12-2010, 9:39 PM
What a shame

xllance
05-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Got wasted behind the wheel one too many times (27 years old) and hit an elderly couple as they were sitting in a turning lane waiting for traffic. Nobody hurt, and to make me feel worse they were really concerned about ME! That and spending the night in jail plus having a tore up pickup set me straight. Never do it again. I can't understand repeat offenders, granted I knew the danger but it really sank in as I sat in jail for a measly 6 hours thinking about that old man and his wife. I can only imagine spending years in there.

antisocialcreep
05-29-2010, 3:51 AM
guy he ran over wasnt a biker...he was a drunk on a lil' scooter like billy jeans. simple fact is that if it had been someone without fame or ,more import money, that person woulda more than likely got more than 6 years. billy should count his blessings do his time and go back to who he was before discovery found him. fuck , 15 years ago he was one of the only guys around who built long bikes and he was more than willing to share his time with a jerk like me just out of love for chops.....

Boston
06-11-2010, 12:38 PM
....agreeing with you -creep...we are hard on people without counting our blessings it could have been anyone of us sitting in jail for a variety of reasons. Man, in this country, when you're up...your up...but when you're down eveybody's right there to pile it on!

Breaking my own rule here when I should be minding my business on these things....but thinking, "By the grace of God, go I" ......

Boston