PDA

View Full Version : Got the yammer out of storage

Creedmore
03-18-2010, 9:05 PM
Well I finally pulled out my 79 XS1100 Yamaha out of storage and started to cut it up......

I thought about hardtailing it but I like the way this has turned out.

earz
03-18-2010, 9:12 PM
Hmm....I never would have thought of using leaves on the rear. Curious to see how it handles/performs. Kudos for thinking outside the box

Creedmore
03-18-2010, 9:21 PM
I'm going to have to put a leaf or two back in the springs. They are a little on the soft side.

BubbaKahuna
03-20-2010, 9:57 PM
I'm curious about the geometry of the springs.

Are the backs mounted on a rocking/rotating section?
If not, don't the springs not only flex but compress as well under load?
That will break them if that's the case. The rear mounts should probably rotate as the springs compress to keep the length of the leafs the same. If they are compressed under load, I wonder how long they'll go before cracking. That would suck.

Looks good though, interesting setup.

Cheers,
- JJ

Creedmore
03-21-2010, 10:50 PM
JJ, the only part that is mounted solid is where the spring mounted to the frame with the 4 bolts. The eye end of the spring is on a shackel that is attached to where the lower shock mounts are. So only one end is solid the other allowes the spring to move back and forth.

philbey
03-22-2010, 8:52 PM
different. Damping these rear springs at all? Because that could get strange, rear end bouncing down the road. Put a springer on the front as well and really see how it handles?