PDA

View Full Version : Magna build, need advice

marcuswing
03-18-2010, 8:45 PM
I am building my first bike its a 1986 vf700 magna. Ill be honest some of these questions may be stupid but i need some opinions and advice.

Whats the best way to lower the rear end?

Whats the best way to raise the tank?

Anyone have a picture of a done up magna?

Let me know if there is any suggestions of other things i can do. Also where is the best place to find a front brake master cylinder for it? Feedback please

Creedmore
03-18-2010, 9:28 PM
What is your reason for raising the gas tank?

nerdsports
03-19-2010, 7:18 AM
You can get a shorter rear shock to lower the rear. Another option is to make a solid strut shorter than the stock shock.

To raise the tank simply find where it bolts to and make an adapter or plate to raise the mounting location.

Search Google Images for modded Magnas. "magna bobber" "magna chopper" etc.

It sounds like you haven't done much research if you're asking these pretty basic questions. I don't mean to put you down whatsoever but these are things you run across just browsing this forum or others like it. I've never touched a motorcycle in my life and I have a pretty good idea on how to do several things by just reading other peoples build threads. Research goes a long way. Good luck w/ your project.

caudills2
03-19-2010, 8:31 PM
ji just posted a topic on my Magna build!

turtle
04-04-2010, 7:41 PM
you can also put more air in the front tubes and raise the front up. I used 750 lowering blocks on mine. the angle of the shocks takes away any shock value so you could just strut it. the 700 is a bullet proof engine. your gonna love it.

BasterdChad
04-18-2010, 9:35 AM
I too have an 86 700 magna I'm currently chopping. Right now I'm running short shocks at cycle recycle (do a google search). If you want to go lower you can get some struts made. I had a pair for a while I got on ebay for $35.

marcuswing
04-18-2010, 11:52 AM
You got any pictures of yours?

BasterdChad
04-19-2010, 4:14 PM
I just loaded a couple on my profile. I don't have any good pics right now. I've got the damn thing tore apart for a new head gasket. I'll get a couple pics after I get it back together. I've put low shocks on it, t-bars on risers, small l.e.d. turn signals, round headlight from a cb550f, cut a bunch off the back end of the frame, forward controls from tc bros choppers, bar end mirrors, almost completely blacked the bike out, and a trailer tail light on a side mount license plate bracket. I'm getting ready to work on a custom seat, rear fender, and exhaust.

BasterdChad
04-19-2010, 4:48 PM
I really need to clean the front end up on mine, what kind of speedo are you running?

marcuswing
04-20-2010, 2:14 PM
Its the stock speedo but with a new housing. Not sure where it came from I bought it with the bike

marcuswing
04-20-2010, 2:26 PM
Here is a few pictures of mine. I had Andy at pangea speed make struts for the back and he fitted the sportster tank. It has the biltwell seat and a few other things.

BasterdChad
04-20-2010, 3:02 PM
Looks good, I really like the sportster tank on it.