PDA

View Full Version : automotive starter-ignition-switch wiring on a Sporty ?

Coxbow
08-24-2013, 8:26 AM
hi folks,

I've got a 2002 1200 Sporty and would like to remove all the switches from my bars, I therefore got myself an automotive starter-ignition-switch, to key turn and start the bike (like a car) do you know what wire color need to go where and where those wires a laying on a still OEM electrical circuit ?

thanks ;)

shed71
08-24-2013, 10:06 AM
mine is a three position switch,

Off, On, start(when released returns to on position)

Wiring is easy,

Run a wire straight from your positive (+) on your battery to switch , my terminal was marked "bat",

Run wire from second terminal to power your ignition lights etc,Terminal was marked "Ign"

Basiclly the first two terminals are a break in a positive (live wire)

The third pole was marked "sol" run the green wire from the starter motor to this terminal,

My sportster loom had one thick red wire that all the other red (live) wires branched from, this is the one you need to run in and out of your ignition switch to power it all up.

You will be amazed at how much excess wire there is stuck to a sportster, as long as you can reach your key there is no point in bothering with cut out swtiches,

Coxbow
08-24-2013, 12:11 PM
Thanks Shed71 !

So the 2nd wire goes from the "ign" terminal to were exactly ? (sorry great info but I'm a big zero in that area !)

BrokenSprocketGarage
08-24-2013, 7:56 PM
from the IGN terminal of the switch to power up all your circuit breakers or fuses which in turn take power to your coil, lights, acc.. etc,

shed71
08-25-2013, 9:41 AM
from the IGN terminal of the switch to power up all your circuit breakers or fuses which in turn take power to your coil, lights, acc.. etc,

As the man says, I have my switch on the coil bracket mounted between the cylinder heads, does away with all the wires running up to the handle bars, even mounted the horn and light switches on the bracing by the headstock (microswitches from maplins) so i have no wires at all running to the bars.all my indicators and backlight are LED so the wiring is really thin(easier to hide).

Coxbow
08-25-2013, 2:45 PM
thanks for the info guys !
Nice site that Maplin ! when you see the prices they dare to ask in motorcycle related shops !!!

hellamopeds
08-25-2013, 5:25 PM
Anyone have a good Off-On-Momentary switch?
Cant seem to find one. Always On-Off-Momentary.

BrokenSprocketGarage
08-25-2013, 7:55 PM
Anyone have a good Off-On-Momentary switch?
Cant seem to find one. Always On-Off-Momentary.

HUNDREDS of options in the lawn and garden/outdoor power equipment world.
Also some listed in the Drag Specialties fatbook under ignition switches, but pricier then lawn and garden.

SOK
05-05-2014, 7:35 PM
Hey guys I'm just looking for some clarification on the subject. I am going from the stock set up on a 2007 Nightster to a custom setup using this momentary ignition:
http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/weatherproof-ignition-switch-with-momentary-start.html

The back of the ignition is the same as the lowbrow customs ignition here:
http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/p2732/buy/m-c-parts/electrical-amp-wiring/universal/lowbrow-customs-weatherpoof-starter-ignition-switch/

From the stock ignition there are 3 wires 1 going to the Maxifuse, 1 to the start button, and 1 to the instruments and indicator lights. So which Letter would those wires plug into and which other wires do I need to connect? Does the wire that is currently attached to the start button reattached to this ignition?
Also, the TC bros website says the ignition has a push-to-choke feature that can be setup to use as a horn. What letter would my horn be hooked up to?

Many mucho thanks

BrokenSprocketGarage
05-06-2014, 5:47 AM
You could read the directions that came with the switch?
Wire that goes to maxi fuse goes to "batt" post on switch.
Start button wire goes to "S" terminal on switch.
Instrument/indicator lighting wire goes to "A" terminal.
The push to choke feature is a momentary switch that can be used for horn (or hi beam if you use a latching relay). Horn wire would go to "C" terminal.
The Lowbrow link has a diagram showing all of this.

SOK
05-06-2014, 4:46 PM
Awesome! Thanks daroberts3 for the clarity. I got confused with the "S" and the "C".

SOK
05-08-2014, 8:09 PM

So here is where I'm at with the new ignition and because I'm such a noob I'm confused again. The picture shows the three big wires that were connected to the stock ignition Red, Red/black, and Red/Grey. As for the smaller wires the Yellow/Black is to the horn, Black/Red is the live wire from the start button, and White/Black is the ground wire from the start button.

Now from my understanding:
C = Yellow/Black - Horn
S = Black/Red Start - Button Live Wire
A = Big Red/Grey - Accessories maybe?
B = Big Solid Red - Battery
But now I am left with the Big Red/Black wire that was hooked into the stock ignition. Where does that go?
And do I need to hook that ground wire in somewhere? If not how do the horn and start button ground?

Any help would be awesome!