PDA

View Full Version : Almost got taken out today by a cage...

Luke
08-13-2009, 11:42 PM
I apoligize in advance for the long rant.

So I just got my chopper painted along with a new rear fender and freshened up brakes. I was on my way to a buddys house going down a normally busy 2 lane street. Im in the left lane and not too far ahead there is a minivan ahead of me but in the right lane with no ther cars in sight... then in the blink of an eye the van with no warning, no signal, and no braking whips a crazy illegal u turn right in my lane directly in front of me. I panic and lock both brakes up as Im now up on my tank getting ready for the impact and both wheels are locked and sliding I miss the van by inches and barley ride it out. The guy in the van full of people (another older guy a woman and 2 kids) doesnt even stop to see if Im alright or apoligize proceeds to not even stop floors it through a red light. Before I can even think about it my heart is pounding and I get on the throttle and run the red light on his ass following him. I catch up to him as we pass a busy (Ted Drewes) ice cream shop with about 50 people outside. And yell something like "fuck you motherfucker learn how to drive FU F this F that" as I flip him off. Then in front of all the people he swerves his van at me I had to swerve so he didnt take me out. That REALLY pissed me off. So I follow his as yelling for him to pull over and of course he wont. I was trying to get his plate number but was too flustered and that probably wouldnt have done any good anyways. The van then hits a red light behind other cars and I pull up next to him and stop. He rolls his window down and says "keep on going son" I say something like "pull over now Im going to fuck you up old man" and every other curse I could think of. The guy was probably 40 but the "old man" was a nice touch.

The light turns green and the van takes off then I turned off in the other direction. I bet my life had I hit the van he would have fled.

It all happened so fast I didnt even know how to react. It was all instinct.

An image of his face is burned in my brain. That guy better hope he never sees me again.

What would you have done in that situation? Did I over-react? Should I have followed him home and pulled an Anderson Silva on his ass? Should I have not done anything and chaulk it up to being a retarded driver?

Nick
08-13-2009, 11:54 PM
you definatley didn't over react....its your life he was messin w/ I probly would done the same

WayneBallard
08-14-2009, 12:15 AM
I don't see anything wrong with your reaction...You didn't take it too far, as in "bustin' a cap" in the dude.

Life is full of stupid people and you need to tell them whats up.

crass
08-14-2009, 12:15 AM
You over reacted just a little.

Why?
If the incident played out as you said it did.. then you almost got seriously fucked up. By reacting they way you did..you weren't able to get a license plate number (maybe wouldn't have helped) or think to follow the person to their stop and then have words with them.

Fuck it really though.. Everyone is gonna react how they have to react. I think it's that random

xharleyx
08-14-2009, 1:42 AM
I probably would have been ok til he said "keep on going son" , then I would have drug him out of the van and did a burnout on his face

redlined24
08-14-2009, 2:24 AM
well you deff. did not overreact. fuck him and his minivan.

within the first week i had this xs chop done a guy driving a mac tools truck pulled right in front of me as he was switching into the slow lane on a road in town. i had to swerve off into little shops parking lot and over a curb to get back on the road....(jumping a curb on a hardtail with a springer will piss you off)

so i opend it up and got next to him and started flipping out....FUCK YOU, FUCK THIS , FUCK THAT, YOU JUST FUCKING CUT ME OFF blah blah blah and he didnt respond.........

then we got to a red light and i realized the reason he didnt respond is because he couldnt hear me...because he was listing to a FUCKING I POD!

well he saw me saying something to him at the light and took his precious little i pod headphones out as i fucking flipped out even more and turned my bike off and put it on the kickstand at the stop light but by the time i got off my bike the light turned green and he said "well i dont know what you want me to do now, its your fault" as he drove off............fuck these people man, they dont care about people on bikes... were all fucking trash to them and they want to take us out.

LUCIFER
08-14-2009, 2:42 AM
Your final touch SHOULD have been a back handed slap to his mouth as he finished saying the son on "keep on going son" Not even a punch, a back hand. Fuck it, you didn't get hurt, or arrested for beating his ass. So it turned out alright. You WILL get more of these idiots, shine them off or fuck um up. Up to you.

ChoppyGee
08-14-2009, 2:56 AM
naw, no over reaction. you want to hear over reaction go over to a Harley forum these land pirates on baggers talk about pulling 44. mags out of their saddle bags and waving them around at crotch rockets that split their lane on the commute home from the office...that to me is a bit much. Lane splitters piss me off too but seriously.

I think i'm gonna mount a scabbard on my scoot and pick up a nice Louisville Slugger.

earz
08-14-2009, 2:58 AM
drivers in the midwest suck donkey balls. I deal with these idiots on a daily basis. I don't think you overreacted a bit.

A couple years ago I had a woman pull out in front of me and slow down. I started honking at her and flipping the bird. A few miles down the road, she gets into the turn lane to turn left (signal and all). I start to go around her and she suddenly decides she wants to turn right instead. She whipped over right in front of me. I locked up both brakes enough to where my bars went to the stops. The front tire started hopping sideways. I let off the brakes just to straighten up again and about hit the bitch again. How I did not eat asphalt that day, I'll never know. I was wearing shorts and t-shirt too. If I hadn't been about the soil my pants, I would have chased her down and beat the fuck out of her car with my helmet - just as a reminder to watch out for motorcycles.

earz
08-14-2009, 3:02 AM
I think i'm gonna mount a scabbard on my scoot and pick up a nice Louisville Slugger.

Just find the biggest bolt on your bike and get a wrench to fit it. Carry that wrench with you. LEOs cant harras you for carrying a much needed tool - even if you don't use it for its intended purpose.

I've got like a 2" wrench, or some shit, at the shop, but it's way too fucking big to be carrying on a bike. 1" or 1 1/4" would work nicely though.

Paul
08-14-2009, 5:13 AM
I don't generally advocate vigilantism or violence against others (unless of course it's called for)...

If people realized pulling that shit to bikers could cost them a roadside asswhipping, perhaps it wouldn't happen so much.

Scraper
08-14-2009, 6:26 AM
its gonna keep happening forever dudes. more & more. its totally fucked but anyone on a cycle has to just come to terms with the fact that they are invisible & everyone is out to kill them 24-7. riding in jersey my whole life has made me expect nearly every drivers idiot move.

not making excuses for drivers being ignorant assholes with no regard for anyone else but have you noticed how harsh the blind spots are in any newer car? my 65 chrysler has almost no blind spots whatsoever & i can see every corner of the car, and the fucker is 18 feet long! my wifes 08 rabbit has blind spots large enough for probably 10 motorcycles to hide in. in cars with A, B & C pillar airbags, they are so fat, they block a ton of the view of the road. so combine the lack of vision with about 100 distractions - cell phones, GPS units, i pods, etc., then add in the fact that there are more people on the road now then ever. shit, im surprised MORE drivers dont pull dumb shit on me like what that asshole in the van did to you.

the only thing we have going for us on a bike is that we are lighter, faster, smaller & more nimble than any car. i find myself blasting through gaps when getting squeezed out, always looking for escape routes, leaving a lot of room to decide what to do when shit goes wrong.

a couple weeks ago at a light, an old lady kept creeping up on me on my bike to the point where her bumper was about 2 inches from my rear tire. i had enough room in front of me to split up to the front & when the light changed i just got the fuck outta there. always stay as far as possible from anyone in any car, they are all out to kill you. expect it & youll rarely be surprised & you'll find yourself not being so pissed when they try.

imtheslime
08-14-2009, 7:40 AM
Over reacted, hell no! I'm pissed for you just reading this shit. I have followed motherfuckers countless miles out of my way in very similar situations, parked my bike at lights, slapped mirrors, beat the fuck out of windows, stuck my head in windows. I'd say he got off pretty easy. Seams like every couple of weeks another rider is killed here in vegas, though not always innocent, most of them are.

Revelator
08-14-2009, 11:30 AM
When the Asshole throttled away from the scene, There is only one thing to do,
Pursue His dumbass!

After that You need 3 things......
1. A Gloved Hand
2. small can of Pepper Spray
3. A pair of Balls

Next time Asshole makes a fucked up U turn, Maybe He will look a little harder.

CabritoLoco
08-14-2009, 1:56 PM
i knew a crusty ol dude once that carried a handful of stainless steel ball bearings in his vest pocket. he always said it was just the thing to make a tailgating soccer mom back the hell off. he said if you let 'em go just right, they bounced pretty nice off of asphalt at 80.

be careful out there.

BigDawg
08-14-2009, 2:30 PM
Being careful is only half of it. Defensive riding is key. I was just riding home up 85 when a dude on a bagger pulls up in the lane next to me. He shot me a wave, moved up a little further in the lane and then had to swerve towards my lane because a dumb bitch in an Eclipse just started to scoot over on top of him. She saw him, he flicked her off, she had the look of "How is that my fault?" on her face. I shot her a bird too just to reiterate what needed to said without words.

After I laid a bike down the first time (old guy in a Grand Marquis pulled out in front of me a few years back), I decided from that point that every driver was out to kill me.

Motorradfahrer
08-14-2009, 3:52 PM
I decided from that point that every driver was out to kill me.

That's the truth.

have you noticed how harsh the blind spots are in any newer car?

Yes, new cars have horrible blind spots. My gf has a Matrix; the blind spots are ridiculous.

zach
08-14-2009, 4:03 PM
i knew a crusty ol dude once that carried a handful of stainless steel ball bearings in his vest pocket. he always said it was just the thing to make a tailgating soccer mom back the hell off. he said if you let 'em go just right, they bounced pretty nice off of asphalt at 80.

be careful out there.

ha! i know that same 'dude'. he had spikes hot glued to the front of his black leather boots also. nice guy though...

boogieman
08-14-2009, 5:03 PM
When the Asshole throttled away from the scene, There is only one thing to do,
Pursue His dumbass!

After that You need 3 things......
1. A Gloved Hand
2. small can of Pepper Spray
3. A pair of Balls

Next time Asshole makes a fucked up U turn, Maybe He will look a little harder.

FUCK YA! PEPPER SPRAY? Who'd a thunk it! Best idea ever!

En eye full of pepper spray would make it hard to forget about motorcycles on the road!

EDIT: It's hard to tell if ya overreacted or not, but probably not.

deucepjd
08-16-2009, 12:46 AM
ha! i know that same 'dude'. he had spikes hot glued to the front of his black leather boots also. nice guy though...

One told me that a gas cap makes an interesting improvised projectile

Luke
08-16-2009, 1:17 AM
I probably should have backhanded him when he rolled the window down or at least kicked a dent in his van... but I didn't.... I probably would have went to jail with my luck.

Who are the cops going to believe? The ball-less fuckhead driving and his minivan full of people with kids or some chopper riding young punk covered in tattoos.

BobT
08-16-2009, 8:18 AM
rth

BigDawg
08-16-2009, 6:49 PM
One told me that a gas cap makes an interesting improvised projectile

Yeah, but then you're sloshing gas all over the tank afterwards.

KT
08-16-2009, 8:27 PM
Join the 1/2 nuts club!!!

Carry a few 1/2" hex nuts and get infront and drop em they bounce real nice and do a hella job on windshields at 60mph also if they call the cops you can say hell that fell of my bike he shouldnt have been so close....I know my windshield in my work truck has been cracked twice by little rocks fallin off dump trucks and they are not responsible for the damage ...So how could you be held accountable if it fell off your bike ?

It's dangerous to crack someones windshield at speed but it is also dangerous when they try to run us over .....

Scraper
08-18-2009, 6:31 AM
this thread is the same as the one from the JJ a while back but ill say the same thing here as i did over there. for the people talking about throwing shit on the highway or pepper spraying. what about all the other people around that didnt have anything to do with cutting you off or squeezing you out of your lane? if some asshole threw some nuts on the highway & it took out the windshield on my wifes car, or maybe the guy you pepper spray swerves & crashes into my wife & kills her - youd bet your fucking ass id find out what went down & id be sure to put whoever was responsible through the same amount of suffering i would be going through. accidents are one thing - but deliberates are a whole other animal...

dont take asshole drivers personally unless they are persistantly trying to fuck with you. u turns, quick right handers from the left lane, people who pull out of driveways & side streets right in front of you - this is all shit we should be prepared for as riders. most drivers are fucking terrible at driving. i know this, you know this - dont be surprised.

ride in rush hour traiffic in philly or NYC everyday, or jersey shore traffic. you will most likely be prepared for the worst of the worst.

NHMike
08-18-2009, 7:58 AM
I keep a pocket full of decent sized rocks (big enough to break a windshield) for this type of situation. Get in front of them and throw a couple up. One is bound to make an impact.

KT
08-18-2009, 8:48 AM
this thread is the same as the one from the JJ a while back but ill say the same thing here as i did over there. for the people talking about throwing shit on the highway or pepper spraying. what about all the other people around that didnt have anything to do with cutting you off or squeezing you out of your lane? if some asshole threw some nuts on the highway & it took out the windshield on my wifes car, or maybe the guy you pepper spray swerves & crashes into my wife & kills her - youd bet your fucking ass id find out what went down & id be sure to put whoever was responsible through the same amount of suffering i would be going through. accidents are one thing - but deliberates are a whole other animal...

dont take asshole drivers personally unless they are persistantly trying to fuck with you. u turns, quick right handers from the left lane, people who pull out of driveways & side streets right in front of you - this is all shit we should be prepared for as riders. most drivers are fucking terrible at driving. i know this, you know this - dont be surprised.

ride in rush hour traiffic in philly or NYC everyday, or jersey shore traffic. you will most likely be prepared for the worst of the worst.

I agree you have to think before you react and it isnt cool to be careless and hurt unintended people ..I have a wife and 2 kids so I hear what your saying.. But I would ask are our families not as important? a Accident is one thing but being careless is another ...

I say this after the experiance of being run over by a car and the driver was a preachers son who lied lied and lied some more when asked about running me over ...... You should'nt have to let morons like this walk away and not face the music either.....

Scraper
08-18-2009, 9:07 AM
i agree - careless morons should be notified of thier stupidity asap. believe me, ive kicked a couple turn signal lenses out & punched a few mirrors off cars riding to & from work when i worked in philly to keep from being squished against another car or a wall. but im not for throwing shit or macing people while theyre driving. that has too much a risk to involve other innocent people.

spike
08-19-2009, 3:29 PM
Luke,put a clamp next to your leg and put an 8 ounce or 12 ounce ball-peen hammer in it. It does wonders on the glass and tin work on a 4 wheeler. You did the right thing but the bum still needed a beat down!