PDA

View Full Version : Honda CB500T

CB500tBOBBER
03-17-2010, 10:39 PM
I've just purchased and begun my new bobber project with a '76 Honda CB500T for $500. This one is definitely on budget, but I want to know if there are other people who are chopping this one up. I want to add a hard tail to it and rake the front out a bit more than stock. Any suggestions or recommended specs are appreciated. P.S. can the motor be converted to a 650? How and at what estimated cost?

HWC
03-18-2010, 12:34 PM
sure,,ive hardtailed several cb twins,,the closer to stock lenght to 2-3" of stretch looks/rides best,,imo

an yes u can bore it out,,bout 80 bucks a hole,, hav custom cam made,, 3-400$,, machine your cases to accept larger pistons,several $$$,, but with what all that would cost,,u could of bought /built/be ridden a cb 750...
do u hav a machine shop at your disposal??

CB500tBOBBER
03-18-2010, 7:56 PM
I'll keep the stretch in mind. As for a machine shop… I actually just got in touch with a frame guy who happens to get boners with these bikes and loves to chop 'em n bob 'em. Thanks for the advice with the motor. I figured it would cost me much less to just get a 750, but the 500 will do for now. Now I need to find custom parts for my bike and so far it seems like a fruitless search.

HWC
03-19-2010, 12:58 PM
cool,,if that doesnt work out for u ,,gimme a yell..

CB500tBOBBER
03-19-2010, 5:01 PM
HWC, would you happen to know what parts are commonly compatible with that frame or at least parts that require less amount of machining to fit my bike?

HtM
03-19-2010, 5:39 PM
Now I need to find custom parts for my bike and so far it seems like a fruitless search.

Get your hands dirty.

CB500tBOBBER
03-19-2010, 7:04 PM
Yeah I've been parts diving for quite some time. I want a springer for the looks and i like the feel of the front end, but for money's sake i might just go with a girder set up. So far though it's all HD parts i don't think i can modify with my limited metal working experience. Gonna try my hand at TiG and MiG soon.

HWC
03-20-2010, 7:14 AM
HWC, would you happen to know what parts are commonly compatible with that frame or at least parts that require less amount of machining to fit my bike?

as far as ?? for instance,,, aftermarket (springer or girders) front ends? all will hav to be modified to fit/work...