PDA

View Full Version : hardtail or airbags??

killtheking
03-17-2010, 9:57 AM
i have an '80 suzuki gs850g. for those that don't know the "g" means shaftdrive. that's right SHAFTDRIVE!!! before i start all the shit for it, the bike was givin to me. free is good!!
here's my problem i love the look of these hard tailed. that also seems to be the general conscience here. at the same time i would like to do something different to stand out.
these bikes came with shrader(sp) vavles built into the front forks for on the fly dampening adjustment. some the front is there. i'm thinkin of extending the back about three inches and doing a hidden bag system to get it to lay frame.(yeah im into draggen trucks too)
hardtail = less money and time, cool look
bagged = more money and time, cool look
any oppinions

this is a pic of one hardtailed.

mad750
03-17-2010, 10:48 AM
Either way, you'll be different. You just don't see many shaft driven hardtails... period.

I say go for whatever makes you happy and whatever the outcome is it'll be different.

Sawzall anybody?!?!

Psychophilly666
03-17-2010, 11:06 AM
I say keep the hardtail on this one, get another one for cheap and run a bag with that one.

SMChewy
03-17-2010, 2:29 PM
Bike was free. BAG THAT SHIT!!! Cut the hell out of it, and experiment! (I am a old minitrucker though so I am biased as well).

Brandon
03-17-2010, 3:08 PM
My stinky .02 The hardtail you posted looks good. If you bag it are you gona have enuff play in your shaft to let it drop the 6+ inches to the ground? You have the perfect starting point with a free bike so either way you go is cool. Ill look tonight there is a bitchin gold and black monoshock cb on the web that looks rite on. You could even go that route

killtheking
03-17-2010, 6:09 PM
thanx for all the input.
im gonna bag it. decided it is a free bike and you only live once. the pic is not of mine, if it was i would just keep it that way. i do like the look Brandon is talkin bout with the monoshock that shit looks cool. bbbbuuuuttt it has been done before. even if it was only once. i would like to do somethin that has never been seen.
not worried about the geometry in the swing arm/shaft. baged plenty of trucks and a few cars so with that knowledge, andthe fact that im extending the swing/shaft to get the travel. i will start a build thread soon. my 7 year old is supper stoked. he cant wait to help me tear it down.
thanx again

revmike
03-17-2010, 6:32 PM
I stared at my Guzzi for a while last summer thinking about a hard tail. Just remember to make sure the shaft travel is correct in all possible travel. And as Brandon said, make sure the shaft length works. I would buy a couple spare shafts and joints on EGay if I were you have something to play with, without losing your only real shaft. You might also want to see what other shaft model dimensions are in case you need to find a longer shaft, so you don't have to make one with duct tape and a toilet paper roll...

~Rev Mike

Brandon
03-17-2010, 7:05 PM
thanx for all the input.
im gonna bag it. decided it is a free bike and you only live once. the pic is not of mine, if it was i would just keep it that way. i do like the look Brandon is talkin bout with the monoshock that shit looks cool. bbbbuuuuttt it has been done before. even if it was only once. i would like to do somethin that has never been seen.
not worried about the geometry in the swing arm/shaft. baged plenty of trucks and a few cars so with that knowledge, andthe fact that im extending the swing/shaft to get the travel. i will start a build thread soon. my 7 year old is supper stoked. he cant wait to help me tear it down.
thanx again

Not to be a dick but layin frame isnt new. Matt Hotch did a v-rod choppers years ago that sat on air bags. There a guy on here that did a xs650 that sat to the frame on bags. With that being said im ready to see what ever you do

Brandon
03-17-2010, 9:02 PM
Here they are

junkyardjon
03-17-2010, 9:09 PM
to solve the shaft travel problem, use a splined shaft

revmike
03-17-2010, 9:55 PM
To paraphrase Vernon Pinkley (AKA Donald Southerland) in the Dirty Dozen:

Very pretty, boys, very pretty, but can you RIDE them???

killtheking
03-18-2010, 8:43 AM
I stared at my Guzzi for a while last summer thinking about a hard tail. Just remember to make sure the shaft travel is correct in all possible travel. And as Brandon said, make sure the shaft length works. I would buy a couple spare shafts and joints on EGay if I were you have something to play with, without losing your only real shaft. You might also want to see what other shaft model dimensions are in case you need to find a longer shaft, so you don't have to make one with duct tape and a toilet paper roll...

~Rev Mike

there is a bike salvage yard close to me and know they have several shafted bikes. im def gonna have a ton of mock up before i start cuttin my bike.

killtheking
03-18-2010, 8:49 AM
Not to be a dick but layin frame isnt new. Matt Hotch did a v-rod choppers years ago that sat on air bags. There a guy on here that did a xs650 that sat to the frame on bags. With that being said im ready to see what ever you do

those bikes are sick!!! i know there have been many a bagged bike out there, i just have never seen one with a shaftdrive. there's probably a reason for that.lol but hey, i got an itch and i gotta scratch it.lol

killtheking
03-18-2010, 8:55 AM
to solve the shaft travel problem, use a splined shaft

i believe(i'll double check) that it is splined at the at the end by the wheel. thats the only way this will work. if not......a hardtail it is.

killtheking
03-18-2010, 8:58 AM
we shall see, revmike. this could end up being a complete waist of time but theres only one was to find out.

killtheking
03-19-2010, 6:45 AM
started a build thread if anyone wants to follow this trainwreck. http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?p=48093#post48093

turtle
04-04-2010, 7:48 PM
I have a 2001 v star 1100. I hard tailed it and it has a drive shaft all I can say is I have ridden it 26000 miles and had 0 trouble. It has a wide glide 6 degree raked trees with 4 over tubes. lowered 4 inches. 21 inch apes and I have yet to have anyone give me any shit over it....of course I won't take any eather. I have a 86 blockhead harley hardtail,a goldwing,a shadow ace and a vt 600 hardtail...and the best of them all is the star. drive shaft is the bomb, puts all the power at the back wheel ....BAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROCK ON BRO!

LawnDart
04-04-2010, 9:50 PM
I think it will look sick with what ever you choose. Can't wait to see up dates.

1fughit
01-15-2011, 8:21 PM
Hey Turtle, got any pics of that v star hardtail?