PDA

View Full Version : harley ,do they give a shit?

flipper
08-13-2009, 7:08 PM
i live in york ,pa home harley davidson vehicle operations.not sure if most of you folks are aware of the problems we are having out east here or you may not care.any how york is a small citie and harley is a big employment opportunity in our area.many good people may loose their jobs because of the direction harley has taken over the past few years.i think the direction they have been going really sucks.what happen to the good old days of a.m.f. when you couldn't give a harley away.and in saying that the same people who stuck with harley thru all that (the blue collar man).they are the same people that live and die harley and those are the people that will probably lose out.they will lose out to the new harley ,to the stock holders .those are the people harley cares about the big dollar guys.not hard working people with families who have made harley what it is today.thanx for your time .

BlueCollarMoto
08-13-2009, 7:35 PM
I think the problem began when they started changing this
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh64/BLUECOLLARMOTO/old20harley20shop2b380.jpg
Into this.
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh64/BLUECOLLARMOTO/Dealership20web.jpg
I don't see how the big dealerships will make it. Back in the AMF days the small stores were able to do it because of the small inventory and a knowledgeable staff. Now when it goes out of fashion (yuppie fashion statement) everyone who put all there eggs in the HD basket are going to get fucked.

ChoppyGee
08-13-2009, 7:56 PM
I think its safe to say the new attitude may ruin them.

I just bought a new '09 Iron 883 in May and all of the large dealerships wanted nothing to do with selling a bike to a 19 year old kid ( I didn't tell any of them I had the cash) but I found a smaller dealership that treated me well.

I avoid stealerships as much as I can..it really has become some sort of yuppy status thing.

kickcurserepeat
08-13-2009, 8:08 PM
Responding to the thread title . .

About the pure biker culture they helped to establish? Nope.

About making some greenbacks off little plastic cards with magnetic strips? Yep.

kickcurserepeat
08-13-2009, 8:09 PM
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh64/BLUECOLLARMOTO/old20harley20shop2b380.jpg
Into this.
I don't see how the big dealerships will make it. Back in the AMF days the small stores were able to do it because of the small inventory and a knowledgeable staff. Now when it goes out of fashion (yuppie fashion statement) everyone who put all there eggs in the HD basket are going to get fucked.

+ 1 . . . pictures say the proverbial thousand words

crass
08-13-2009, 8:14 PM
you think Johnny Schlimiss wants to go to that shithole HD dealer where you can smell the guys beard from the door? Fuck no.. he wants to fuck his shitty wife ignore his fuck up kids and pay somebody to polish his $25,000 shitwad.

And they say that's PROGRESS.

Jimbo
08-13-2009, 8:21 PM
My thoughts too Love the old "Mom an Pop" shops spent many a day in one, No such thing as the HoG club Just a buch of people who loved harleys, an were made to feel at home when they stopped by Besides I am banned from the local dealer here so no big deal,,

CaptainBob
08-13-2009, 8:25 PM
i live in york ,pa home harley davidson vehicle operations.not sure if most of you folks are aware of the problems we are having out east here or you may not care.any how york is a small citie and harley is a big employment opportunity in our area.many good people may loose their jobs because of the direction harley has taken over the past few years.i think the direction they have been going really sucks.what happen to the good old days of a.m.f. when you couldn't give a harley away.and in saying that the same people who stuck with harley thru all that (the blue collar man).they are the same people that live and die harley and those are the people that will probably lose out.they will lose out to the new harley ,to the stock holders .those are the people harley cares about the big dollar guys.not hard working people with families who have made harley what it is today.thanx for your time .

HD should be employing the people of York and what, giving motorcycles away to the locals? The economy sucks for everyone; its not HD's fault.

ChoppyGee
08-13-2009, 8:31 PM
you think Johnny Schlimiss wants to go to that shithole HD dealer where you can smell the guys beard from the door? Fuck no.. he wants to fuck his shitty wife ignore his fuck up kids and pay somebody to polish his $25,000 shitwad.

And they say that's PROGRESS.
hahahaha! There you have it.
I can't wait to finish my Ironhead so i can go to the stealers on a saturday after noon for a new chain and park that ratty bastard between a couple 40 thousand dollar CVO couches and hope it spits oil all over those things I don't even consider a bike. (if it has climate control and an ass warmer its not a bike)

I took my '09 in for its 1000 mile service, (if you don't let them do the first one it voids the warranty.. bullshit) any ways i sat there for two and half hours (shouldn't take that long) and listened to these two middle aged guys who were clearly suit and tie professionals talk for most of the time I was there about what Chaps to wear for what days. Not for functionality either, for pure looks. Do what you want I don't want to stop you but its pretty fucking lame its turned into nothing more than a bunch of god damn land pirates in a giant rolling fashion show. Its a good thing the Girl at my dealership is cute and pretty cool or I might just go postal on the place.

ChoppyGee
08-13-2009, 8:33 PM
My thoughts too Love the old "Mom an Pop" shops spent many a day in one, No such thing as the HoG club Just a buch of people who loved harleys, an were made to feel at home when they stopped by Besides I am banned from the local dealer here so no big deal,,
Thats a story worth hearing!

RockinRyan
08-13-2009, 8:34 PM
Into this.

What really sucks is that the dealers are the ones getting the short end of the stick. Most Harley shops back in the 90s were told by HD to "Either convert to a giant, cookie cutter, Highway location, or loose your license to sell out products."

Alot of guys blame the dealerships, but it's Harley that's forced most of them to become what they are today. And now that the "trend" is over, all the dealers who went along with the factory are being left out to dry.

CabritoLoco
08-13-2009, 9:58 PM
What really sucks is that the dealers are the ones getting the short end of the stick. Most Harley shops back in the 90s were told by HD to "Either convert to a giant, cookie cutter, Highway location, or loose your license to sell out products."

Alot of guys blame the dealerships, but it's Harley that's forced most of them to become what they are today. And now that the "trend" is over, all the dealers who went along with the factory are being left out to dry.

we have the same thing happening where i live. the HD shop is a good one, an old school dealership not a stealership. hell they still carry ironhead service manuals on the shelf and parts stashed in the back. one of the oldest in this part of texas, their building is an old bank, complete with the old school big ass plate glass window in front of the vault so the po-po could drive by and look at it (pretty common in the 50's i'm told). the "Corporation" threw down on them last summer, told them build it bigger, build it newer, build it our way or your done with HD. last i heard the old lady that owns the place plans to stand her ground.
i think HD is the classic example of the bubble economy, they rode the bubble to profits, but sooner or later that baby is gonna bust and when it does the whole company is gonna go to hell (more than it already has). just my .02.

BolliverShagnasty
08-14-2009, 9:37 AM
we have the same thing happening where i live. the HD shop is a good one, an old school dealership not a stealership. hell they still carry ironhead service manuals on the shelf and parts stashed in the back. one of the oldest in this part of texas, their building is an old bank, complete with the old school big ass plate glass window in front of the vault so the po-po could drive by and look at it (pretty common in the 50's i'm told). the "Corporation" threw down on them last summer, told them build it bigger, build it newer, build it our way or your done with HD. last i heard the old lady that owns the place plans to stand her ground.
i think HD is the classic example of the bubble economy, they rode the bubble to profits, but sooner or later that baby is gonna bust and when it does the whole company is gonna go to hell (more than it already has). just my .02.

I agree. Victoria, TX H-D is the only dealership that has ever treated me with the respect that any business should give to its customers. They are always willing to help and they aren't just there to "sell" you. I live in Austin now and the dealerships here want your dollars and that's it. Makes me think that I was born about 25 years too late.

logi
08-14-2009, 9:44 AM
Lost of layoffs at the plant here in KC as well. The hugely bloated company that is Harley Davidson is just a product of all the bullshit that's been going on in the US for the last decade. Everything's gotta get bigger, shinier, newer ... and more expensive. Everything is bought on credit. They're the same as any other giant US company with execs looking at numbers above anything else ... hiring very expensive ad companies to sell their brand to the next vulnerable target.

CabritoLoco
08-14-2009, 9:55 AM
Bolliver your in a bad place for a good dealership, all the HD places up there (in my experience) have the chrome HOG come eat a hotdog on Sunday and we'll sell you even more chrome and maybe a cool tan and orange reflective mesh vest mentality.
Although the wife and I were in Gruene a few months back and drove by Gruene HD, there were about a dozen shovel's, ironheads and a couple of pans parked in front. too bad they were just passin' through and making a rest stop. thought maybe the stealership was hosting some old bikes, but nope, they just had a big empty parking lot.

Victoria HD has always been a friendly joint. Unfortunately Big Jim packed it up and moved to Houston to be closer to family, so I don't stop in anymore.

eightthirtysixcc
08-14-2009, 10:44 AM
I think you're all WRONG here. Since when did the bike make the person? No, in fact the person makes the bike.

A douche (pull your bike out once a month and sit at starbucks) will lame up any bike. Don’t blame Harley for making what people wanted, what makes them money. How dare a company be independently successful and not rely on bailouts.

How many times has Harly had their ass saved from near destruction? Clearly the old way wasnt working.

Fredo
08-14-2009, 10:51 AM
I think you're all WRONG here. Since when did the bike make the person? No, in fact the person makes the bike.

A douche (pull your bike out once a month and sit at starbucks) will lame up any bike. Donít blame Harley for making what people wanted, what makes them money. How dare a company be independently successful and not rely on bailouts.

How many times has Harly had their ass saved from near destruction? Clearly the old way wasnt working.

Tossing logic and facts into this topic isnt very helpful.

herecomesmongo
08-14-2009, 1:07 PM
Not trying to pick fly turds out of the pepper shaker here, but Im pretty sure that an '09 sportster isn't considered an 'ironhead'. Just sayin'. I could be wrong, happens all the time.

PS; there is no Harley Davidson anymore, not really. There's just the 'Time Warner-Coca cola-Wall Mart- Harley Davidson motorcycle conglomerate.' It's not just them, it's every consumer product. Expect way more Lameness in the years to come. Anyone ever seen idiocracy?

Edit; Ooops. I just googled it. Apparently, there is a new 'Iron' Model 883 sportster, in the 'dark customs' series. My bad.

BlueCollarMoto
08-14-2009, 1:26 PM

Yep. Thats the truth. When things were real bad here before the trend fad began the local guy even had Honda's and Kawis in the store. They subdivided the small place and made it work. Now its a big ass eye sore to just roll by trinket land going down PCH. I would rather get the personal informed service than be asked if I want to sign up for a HD credit card by some pimple headed kid who rides a ten speed who knows nothing about motorcycles any day. I hear there are exceptions but I have yet to experience this rumor myself. I'm not trying to dog on anyone here. It sucks that all these people are going to be out of a job. I know how it feels. Last time I saw a pay check was January. I didn't even bet my career on a fashion statement. I'm a fucking plumber.

BlueCollarMoto
08-14-2009, 1:29 PM
And by the way. Does anyone here know how much of a deposit HD required these guys to put down to open a dealership during this trend?

$1,000,000.oo......................

kromsucks
08-15-2009, 12:54 PM
i recently needed a clutch pin for my ironhead sporty at the hd dealer it was 27.50 at the local shop it was 2.50 plus the small shop helped out and gave advice were as the hd dealer wont even give me the time of day

currysurr
08-16-2009, 10:08 PM
I called my local dealership and asked about brake pads, they told me $45 per set, and they only have 7 left and expected to sell out soon so I "better get there quick"

Called a small indy shop about 40 minutes away, $15 dollars and said they would hold them for me for a week.

I've been in the local dealership about 8 times this summer, and all but 2 of those times I was treated like complete shit once they found out my bike was an 81 ironhead. I heard a lot of "we cant get parts for those anymore."

kromsucks
08-17-2009, 1:18 AM
oh yeah as soon as they hear your bike is older than 6 months old they dont want to deal with you

SportsterBob
08-17-2009, 1:36 PM
+ 1 . . . pictures say the proverbial thousand words

More than 1000 words!
thats it!
catching rich customers, like docs ...and save money in the production!

TurboTony
08-17-2009, 8:10 PM
Shitwads will sell you a bike one saturday and then the next weekend forget what you look like and try to sell you another one. Watched it happen to a guy in a VA Harley dealer when I was getting parts two weekends in a row. I think I also saw a money-blender behind their counter. Mmmmm....cash smoothies.

JL
08-19-2009, 6:24 AM
It's funny, here in Europe we've always been told that one of the reasons the US is such a world power is because they celebrate success, they applaud it and welcome it.
Not you fuckers though haha.
The "biker" scene at ground level never did have much to do with the factory or the dealerships, guys used to chop up ex-cop dressers rather than walk into a shop with thousands of dollars. Bikers have been contemptuous of the dealerships with their Motorclothes and Collectibles since at least WW2.
In fact H-D now probably has more empathy with and interest in the real roots of biking than at any other time in it's history.
So, listening to teenagers with '09 model Harleys bitch about the Motor Company's marketing methods is slightly sickening from where I'm standing. Some of you people are very, very priveliged, you are living in a golden age, make the most of it.

dannyb
08-25-2009, 2:53 PM
get a triumph.

Nick
08-26-2009, 8:20 PM
It's funny, here in Europe we've always been told that one of the reasons the US is such a world power is because they celebrate success, they applaud it and welcome it.
Not you fuckers though haha.
The "biker" scene at ground level never did have much to do with the factory or the dealerships, guys used to chop up ex-cop dressers rather than walk into a shop with thousands of dollars. Bikers have been contemptuous of the dealerships with their Motorclothes and Collectibles since at least WW2.
In fact H-D now probably has more empathy with and interest in the real roots of biking than at any other time in it's history.
So, listening to teenagers with '09 model Harleys bitch about the Motor Company's marketing methods is slightly sickening from where I'm standing. Some of you people are very, very priveliged, you are living in a golden age, make the most of it.
this may sound priveleged but....this makes me think of the word, WAS!!! times are changing very qiuckly and theres nothin priveleged about credit debt hustle for life over a trend these fools know nothin about or are passionate about bikes but just want a marketed cool scoot

lowfiron
08-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Ventura and Simi Harley Davidson is owned by the same person. He seems like a nice guy. Ventura HD is in Camarillo! I buy some things from there but most from "My Garage" in Ventura. The old Ventura HD was on Main west of the Avenue many years ago (70s).

Richard
08-31-2009, 7:34 PM
One of the local dealerships here won't even work on anything older than a blockhead. I've learned to stay away from the dealerships & have found parts at a local indy & on line. Face it most guys don't even change their own oil etc. That's the way the market has changed. Now if anyone I know is interested they can stop at my garage, lift their bike on the atv lift I have & do it themselves. Some times we even get others over to help & learn. Makes it social again. Like a biker rebellion.

Easy
09-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Thought id chime in to take the whip to this EXTREMELY dead horse.
If you want to avoid the dealer do it.If you dont,well then dont. If you have a beef with your local dealer...voice it to em'.
As far as "Does HD care"? Yes they care.As much as the next mega bajillion dollar CORP.

Im a DIY kinda guy so when HD nose dives it makes used parts and bikes cheap.

In the end you have to ask yourself, are you willing to respect those who dont respect you?

FTF!

pangeaspeed
09-04-2009, 2:41 AM
i think our country needs to get back to valuing customer service. i am rather young (24) but even in my short life i have seen a really drastic decline in customer service. i am talking real customer service not some dick sucker who wants your cash so bad he would blow you for it, i am talking about some one who cares about your best intrest not your biggest bill. i think one of my biggest frustrations is when i walk in to a dealer and they dont know jack about what they are pedeling. honestly get educated on your stuff, and start treating us like humans, not bank account number transporters.

Kokuma
09-04-2009, 9:27 AM
I'll often go to the HD dealer to buy "small" parts when I'm too lazy that day. I just like the reaction the guy behind the desk gives me. Its the look of disapair and frustration. He KNOWS I'm not there to buy a bike. It really is a precious moment. Makes my whole day worthwhile! I do the same at the local Honda dealer to make the Power Rangers nervous.

DirtyPile
09-04-2009, 9:52 AM
How can anyone complain about free hotdogs?

TheDemon
09-05-2009, 8:52 AM
I go to my local stealership all the time for free keg beer and hotdogs. I may not like the way they do business or their lack of customer service, but free is free : ]

choppadero473
09-05-2009, 9:35 AM
Theres no way round it man, once they get so big, its all how the paper looks at the end of the day, if they're not spendin money on qualified motorcycle enthusiasts as employees, and still sellin these $15,000 bikes to these dip shits, business is good right? I hate to say it but thats becoming the american way, theres no consideration for fellow human beings let alone enthusiasts, no matter what the hobby. Sad thing is, I work for 1 of the big 4 corp. jap companies(won't tell either), and if I absolutely had to buy something new, it would be from them. Why? Cause if I spend the money I want to be able to at least recycle all the bullshit they're putting on bikes nowadays, and theres a lot of money in that aluminum radiator...that and I don't like being lied too. Harley and Polaris both claim to be American machines made in America...next time you buy parts for that american machine, check carefully where they were made, Harley electrical components? mitsubishi, japanese...Suspension? Showa...owned by honda...japanese...what the hell is going on here. I actually had to get a Harley condesor and it says made in Thaiwan!!! If theres no real concern for quality of product, how concerned are they about customer apprecciation?

onigoroshi
09-05-2009, 4:56 PM
Theres no way round it man, once they get so big, its all how the paper looks at the end of the day, if they're not spendin money on qualified motorcycle enthusiasts as employees, and still sellin these $15,000 bikes to these dip shits, business is good right? I hate to say it but thats becoming the american way, theres no consideration for fellow human beings let alone enthusiasts, no matter what the hobby. Sad thing is, I work for 1 of the big 4 corp. jap companies(won't tell either), and if I absolutely had to buy something new, it would be from them. Why? Cause if I spend the money I want to be able to at least recycle all the bullshit they're putting on bikes nowadays, and theres a lot of money in that aluminum radiator...that and I don't like being lied too. Harley and Polaris both claim to be American machines made in America...next time you buy parts for that american machine, check carefully where they were made, Harley electrical components? mitsubishi, japanese...Suspension? Showa...owned by honda...japanese...what the hell is going on here. I actually had to get a Harley condesor and it says made in Thaiwan!!! If theres no real concern for quality of product, how concerned are they about customer apprecciation?

you can't blame harley for that one, blame 'globalization' that came out of washington and put american manufacturing out of business. japanese protect their industries, that's why they still have them, that's why there's still small parts makers all over the place here. if the US does it everyone complains about protectionism. the only way to fix it is to bring back high tariffs on foreign goods.

FlyingEyeBall
09-06-2009, 10:37 PM
In the end you have to ask yourself, are you willing to respect those who dont respect you?

FTF!

+1

Support your local independent shops.

ironpusher
09-08-2009, 7:24 PM

A douche (pull your bike out once a month and sit at starbucks) will lame up any bike. Donít blame Harley for making what people wanted, what makes them money. How dare a company be independently successful and not rely on bailouts.

+1