PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendations on a new throttle sleeve

dreboogie
03-13-2010, 2:00 PM
I am wanting to replace all the crap on my handlebars. I need some recommendations on a good quality throttle sleeve to replace my OEM (2005 sportster 883) stuff on 1" bars. I need a 2 wire with "snap-back" (I don't know if that term is correct, when I let go of throttle I want the grip to go back all the way). I have seen a few out there on Licks and other sites,just don't know if they are good or not. Want something good, but budget.

Also looking for some cheap white grips.

kwiksilver
03-13-2010, 2:25 PM
Lowbrow has a nice one. I bought one. All aluminum and miltifit. SnapBack is the return spring on the carb

svwannabe
03-13-2010, 3:39 PM
There are a lot of nice throttle setups out there, just remember though that your front brake switch is built into that factory throttle setup so you will have to get something to take care of that. For what its worth im running a cheapy $10 plastic setup off ebay and it works just fine.

greenlight23
03-13-2010, 7:34 PM
I run a cheapo too comes with grips too 20 bucks

dreboogie
03-13-2010, 8:51 PM
I'm retarded, I need the throttle clamp as well. I found some cheap one $10, I'll just pick up some cheap grips as well. Thanks guys

REV
03-13-2010, 8:54 PM
ive been asking the same thing, so thanks for this thread!

is the one on lowbrow the not biltwell biltwell throttle?

and does anyone know of someone that can make some brass/stainless/metal spacers in the shape of the switch housing of the stock bars? was thinking about keeping the harley throttle and perches, but making something to fill that gap that looked like it was supposed to be there

Brandon
03-14-2010, 11:03 AM

and does anyone know of someone that can make some brass/stainless/metal spacers in the shape of the switch housing of the stock bars? was thinking about keeping the harley throttle and perches, but making something to fill that gap that looked like it was supposed to be there

If your getting rid of your switch housing you will have to get a throttle assembly. Your throttle sleeve works thru the housing. I know there are some aftermarket pieces that mount next to your throttle and clutch perch but im sure theyre not cheap. Depending on your skills while you have them apart take a dremel and shape the clutch perch and brake lever down the way you want them to look. Its fairly simple. Hope this helps

REV
03-14-2010, 4:43 PM
something like this is what you mentioned?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120483454436&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

im really hoping to have something to fill the gap between throttle (maybe what is in the link) and the perches, but i just dont know what will work

TheDemon
03-15-2010, 5:02 PM

The stock throttle is mated to the switch housing as your throttle and grip are built into one another. The Lowbrow throttle is the one biltwell made, but there were not satisifed with the gap between the housing clamps. I bought one because its all aluminium and only $50. The gap is not noticable at all, maybe 1 or 2mm of space. It's been on my '06 sporty for about 6 months with no complaints.

An after market throttle sleeve is the way to go if you want to move your electrics off the bars for a cleaner look. I rerouted mine to the left side cover with just a kill switch, start button and head light switch. It cost me like $15 and I bought all my stuff from radio shack. The switches have been going strong for over a year with rain/snow/sand/mud and no problems. Make sure you actually solder and shrink wrap everything as butt connectors really arent going to cut it in the long run.

svwannabe
03-15-2010, 8:29 PM
Deadman, that throttle will work fine. As far as the space between grips and the clutch perch and master cyclinder its really not that bad. If you really wanted to you could probably pick up a pretty basic clutch perch then do a gsxr master cylinder to really get a clean look to it. Heres a shitty cell phone pick of my bars for a reference.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m291/svwannabe/bars.jpg

SMChewy
03-15-2010, 8:37 PM
Lowbrow has a nice one. I bought one. All aluminum and miltifit. SnapBack is the return spring on the carb

Consider yourself lucky. Those were a limited run through Biltwell, and they aren't making em anymore currently. No clue if it will be re-released. Tried to get one bout a month ago when Kyle broke my heart. Now I won't even wear their shirt anymore, and pulled all their stickers off my tool box. I'm kinda bein a baby about it.....

In case you couldn't figure it out the last bit was total sarcasm, but I was rather upset when they ran out, they were probably one of the nicest throttles I've seen.