PDA

View Full Version : at what point do you...

sickboi55
08-13-2009, 6:29 PM
just accept some shit. like an ugly weld or a bracket that isnt perfect. i mounted my oil tank today. i dont think it could have been mounted better as far as function, but some of my welds are not sexy. and my top brakcet is not pefectly straight. you cant notice it with the seat on unless you look down and under, and probably less with the whole thing painted. but i know it's there and im sad

imtheslime
08-13-2009, 6:34 PM
when it doesn't fall off and end up in the road.

BigE
08-13-2009, 6:49 PM
Redo it 'til it's right or you'll always be thinking about it.

Spoke
08-13-2009, 6:54 PM
When you look at it and know that you did it yourself instead of paying someone else to do it for you. Also when you know it is safe.

MrCrown
08-13-2009, 6:55 PM
tough call...

depends on the time frame. If its a matter of getting running and rolling, then leave it the fuck alone and hope shit don't fall off.

but, if you're planning on powdercoating or painting the frame soon, cut it and re-do it like Big E said...practice makes perfect...

speaking of which...time for practice.

how about some pics of said work???

Revelator
08-13-2009, 7:08 PM
Just redo it you'll be a better man, & you will sleep better.
If you end up screwing it up again the 2nd time, Then just run it & be done with it.

nico
08-13-2009, 7:36 PM
i'm a big fan of permanent emergency solutions, it adds unintended character

kickcurserepeat
08-13-2009, 7:59 PM
If the weld looks like a chimpanzee did it - keep it, it adds character. If it looks like a retarded chimpanzee did it, grind and repeat.

redlined24
08-13-2009, 8:03 PM
if its not just ugly as fuck i would accept it,

the way i see it is anyone can buy "custom" parts and bolt them on, and anyone can spend some money and have something welded on that looks perfect.

but what makes bikes cool to me is when someone does the best they can and builds it themselves. im not the best welder but ill weld on my bikes and half the time they look like shit, but guess what, i did it so i dont give a fuck if someone else could have done it better, my shits custom haha

H34TH3N
08-13-2009, 8:29 PM
If the weld looks like a chimpanzee did it - keep it, it adds character. If it looks like a retarded chimpanzee did it, grind and repeat.

How did you get ahold of my garage service manual?

sickboi55
08-13-2009, 9:22 PM
i dont think i can cut it off. last time i did that i ended up needing a new hardtail from blowing through it, ill get some pics up though. i really do not think it will fall off. BUT when i look at i am wicked proud. it's my first bike that ive built and put so much into. im 25, been welding less than a year, and cant wait to see what ill be able to build when im 50.

cHiCoD
08-13-2009, 10:56 PM
i'll try to get up there this weekend....and help you fuck it up more.
:)

love,
Chico

TSF
08-13-2009, 11:06 PM
had to redo my oil tank braket twice....noticed my chain was hitting pretty bad...redo it...it'll make you feel much better about your bike

jason43
08-14-2009, 7:04 AM
There are some things on my bike that drive me nuts, they are minor, but I know they're there... I'm waiting for winter to take it back down and fix them. I wouldn't say I accept them, but they are there...

sickboi55
08-14-2009, 12:47 PM
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/sickboi55/5453001.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/sickboi55/5453002.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/sickboi55/5453003.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/sickboi55/5453004.jpg

NITRO
08-14-2009, 3:15 PM
I had a couple things like that on my bike I said scew it, painted it, and 2 months later it still bugged me enough i striped the paint and redid the items to my satisfaction. If I had just redone it from the beginning wouldve saved myself alot of work. That being said, what kind of personality do you have? Do your eyes always go right to flaws? If so do it, if not don't sweat it. Most people will never notice they tend to take in the overall way before the minute dtails and individual welds.

boogieman
08-14-2009, 5:17 PM
BUT when i look at i am wicked proud. it's my first bike that ive built and put so much into. im 25, been welding less than a year, and cant wait to see what ill be able to build when im 50.

If you're proud of it and it's safe to ride that's all that matters. If it's gonna be a show bike on the show circuits then I would re-weld it.

gigastatt
08-15-2009, 10:25 AM
I am not a welder by any stretch of the word. But from what I can see in the photos the welds should work for the intended function and not break. I build things from steel for a living. So, I am speaking from experience.
You will have many other projects to work on, learn from what you did and how you did it and move on. If the project gets stalled in the minute details you will never finish the bike. You will lose interest and half ass start something else that is perfect in your mind. I bet you did not start this project thinking a weld will look like blobs or a bracket is not straight. For 25 you are doing very well! Move on and get the project finished and on the road.

Tim

Revelator
08-15-2009, 12:17 PM
that weld on the verticle frame tube looks more like a tack weld with not much penetration,
I would definitely re do that weld,
Tank looks straight to Me, It's just that the top bracket &/or bungs are cadywampus.
If You ever sale the bike someday, That bracket may be heckling
material, so may want to redo it now before paint.
think of it as practice.

smokey469
08-15-2009, 10:27 PM
I pretty much see it like this, if it's safe and you did it yourself then that's all that matters. I've got shit like that on my bike too, yeah it may not be the greatest but I did it myself and it works so screw it. I worked on my bike all winter and still didnt get everything done that I wanted to do, but once it got warm I just wanted to ride! I say if redoing it is gonna hold up from riding for now, then just forget about and get back to it whenever you feel like it.

workingclass
08-16-2009, 12:30 AM
Redo it 'til it's right or you'll always be thinking about it.

+1 on that, take the time, do it right.