PDA

View Full Version : fake patina on bikes

FlYinGPig666
03-11-2010, 6:27 PM
What do you all think about patina paint jobs? I personally love the style, as long as its not duplicated to try and fool people to think it is old, but more just the look of it I love.

hugodv01
03-11-2010, 6:40 PM
real rust sucks!

aged looking paint jobs are nice. but It takes some talent to make it look right.

I like paint on tanks that looks nice and classy

-my 3cents-

NoeyesDen
03-11-2010, 6:51 PM
I paint from time to time and love a great paint job, to me "patina" or rust to me is the new black. I love big flake done in a stock pattern in colors you know the factory never did.

Punkskalar
03-11-2010, 7:36 PM
FAKE Patina is bullshit.... Always hated it, always will...

I live in the south, where rust is a way of life and a constant fight, and all the "cool kid" west coasters are rusting bikes up on purpose???? Fawk that....

KrOwN
03-11-2010, 7:37 PM
not a fan of fake patina at all, grind that mother fucker and set it outside if your wanting patina

wickedblockhead
03-11-2010, 7:37 PM
up here rust takes on a life off its own. i HATE the shit. FUCK rust, FUCK fake patinas, and FUCK fake shit alltogether!

jason43
03-11-2010, 7:52 PM
FUCK fake shit alltogether!

Thats what I'm saying. My bike rusted because I had it on my porch (no garage) and now I have to strip the whole thing down and paint the fucker... it sucks.

I do love an old bike with age showing though. The pan chop barn find over on the JJ right now is a perfect example...

xllance
03-11-2010, 7:53 PM
I'm a little clumsy with the tools around my bike so I always end up with a little self inflicted patina. That's why I will never invest too much $$ in paint, so my heart wont be broken when I F@#K it up. But I will go on record as not being a fan of fake patina or fake anything for that matter.........cept maybe some boobies. I love lookin at bikes with killer paint THAT GET RIDDEN, I just don't know how they do it.

Zooligan
03-11-2010, 7:54 PM
fake, faux, ersatz, mock, pseudo, fugazzi

How can that be a good thing? Ever? *

(*Except maybe boobs, as mentioned above)

wickedblockhead
03-11-2010, 7:59 PM
ok i second the boob comment, but thats it!!!

jason43
03-11-2010, 8:08 PM
I love lookin at bikes with killer paint THAT GET RIDDEN, I just don't know how they do it.

Take pictures from 10 feet back, lol!

Here is a good example of 'good' patina (http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66208) I would never repaint this bike...

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa280/fountainjl/55panchop.jpg

geekdublD
03-11-2010, 8:16 PM
i hate fake boobies

NoeyesDen
03-11-2010, 8:19 PM
Changing that would be tragic, but its not mine. I would clean it up and get some good shots, I love the history behind bikes like those.

JGH
03-11-2010, 8:19 PM
Piss and pool acid should never be called patina...

xllance
03-11-2010, 8:33 PM
Yeah, real patina is cool. I love a well worn look on just about anything as long as it's natural. And about the boobies, I'm not a big fan of fake boobies, but can't say I hate them. Whew, had to redeem myself after last nights post on another thread.

themaninblack
03-11-2010, 9:22 PM
What do you all think about patina paint jobs? I personally love the style, as long as its not duplicated to try and fool people to think it is old, but more just the look of it I love.

What purpose does it possibly have if not to try to fool people to think its old?

CRFyou
03-11-2010, 9:35 PM
What purpose does it possibly have if not to try to fool people to think its old?

it verifies the owner as a douche.

JohnnyWolf
03-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Fake patina is played out as much as the word "Bobber". Never did like it, and never will either.

My $.02

smokey469
03-11-2010, 10:48 PM
Fake is fake, period. We've got enough of that in the industry already. True patina that comes with a well ridden chop is something that can't and shouldn't be faked.

revmike
03-11-2010, 10:50 PM
Fake patina is like buying beer that is flat and warm when you open it.

fake patina is like buying jeans that already have holes in them. You're trying to create an image that doesn't exist. If you want a bike to look 'aged' and ridden, and you want people to think you're the one that rode the fuck out of it. Get on it and ride the fuck out of it. People these days are all about wanting to 'belong' from the get go.

If you want to paint your bike BROWN, great. If you want it to look cool(?) and rusty, leave it outside and ride it a lot in the rain. Maybe wax it two or three times a day to rub the paint off....

Patina on a '53 wearing through its original paint is way cool. Patina, painted on a 2007 with, what was that? Pool water and piss, that is weak.

Don't try to rush time, it goes by way too fast as it is....

~Rev Mike

steffan
03-12-2010, 12:57 AM
I don't like fake boobs but they are still an improvment if a chick has no tits to begin with. I love real patina! I don't mind it when bare metal gets rust. but to add it intentionaly is fucking gay!

Boston
03-12-2010, 1:09 AM
Funny how "Fake" gets the bad rap UNTIL......you guys start talking TITS!!!! Too funny..........

Look, what a man does with his own motorcycle is totally his business. Who cares? Have you priced a paint job lately? As far as I'm concerned, it's more of a "style' then a deceptive effort.

Then again, I guess you "connoisseurs" of acceptable motorcycle etiquette don't mind having your motorcycle closely critiqued by the rest of the world! Thought so! ;)

The squares do enough talking about us, must we join their ranks? Go ahead....FIRE AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boston

revmike
03-12-2010, 1:37 AM
Funny how "Fake" gets the bad rap UNTIL......you guys start talking TITS!!!! Too funny..........

Look, what a man does with his own motorcycle is totally his business. Who cares? Have you priced a paint job lately? As far as I'm concerned, it's more of a "style' then a deceptive effort.

Then again, I guess you "connoisseurs" of acceptable motorcycle etiquette don't mind having your motorcycle closely critiqued by the rest of the world! Thought so! ;)

The squares do enough talking about us, must we join their ranks? Go ahead....FIRE AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boston
I don't like green either, but for entirely other reasons.

The question was what people thought, and the answers were in response to the question. Fake rust doesn't makes you a bad person (or an artiste). I'd still buy you a beer. I'm sure there are a lot of reasons. I don't like it, but I wouldn't stop someone from doing it, I think that is two different things. Am I wrong, Dude? Am I WRONG?? lol

I'm sure the squares would think fade rust is Syck.....

JMHFO

I'm sure people critique my bikes, they've done it to my face and behind my back. I don't lose sleep over it.

Oh and my Honda is green... but I'm going to paint it... or possibly rust it up a little bit....

~rev Mike

nick5
03-12-2010, 5:12 AM
Im workin on my wife real hard to go get fake tits, I think it might work.......I wonder if the dr. could add some of those old school sand dollar sized nipples??

ridemore16
03-12-2010, 6:32 AM
Im workin on my wife real hard to go get fake tits, I think it might work.......I wonder if the dr. could add some of those old school sand dollar sized nipples??

I just had milk come out of my nose....good stuff!!!

KawiDave
03-12-2010, 8:23 AM
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q436/biker811/Mobile%20Uploads/0_1.jpg

If you want patina just burn your bike. I did, twice. No really it caught on fire so many times I've decided it doesn't like paint.

Coco
03-12-2010, 8:47 AM
Fake patina is like buying a pair of pre-faded and ripped jeans. Maybe I'm not hardcore enough but when I build a bike, I want it all shiny and pretty. I'll let time and riding take it's toll to achieve a patina, then I'll tear it down and repaint and replosh everything so it's all new and shiny again.

It comes down to whatever floats your boat. If you like patina and a worn look then go for that look. As long as the bike fits the look of patina it should be cool. A twin cam made to look like it has been in a barn for 30 years looks kind of silly. An old shovel or iron head from the 70's or an old BSA ect would look appropriate with a faux patina.

TemeculaTerry
03-12-2010, 9:19 AM
I dont like fake ass shit, not even tits - well, maybe Im getting a little carried away, oops
ANYHOW
Fake rust is really fucking STUPID in my opinion, why the hell would you want fake rust - lol
I have probably bought 80% - 90% of you a beer within the last two years and Ill tell you what, I want payback on all the beer you drank in the past if you show up on a fake rust bucket...PAYBACK - understand!

mikeyfrombc
03-12-2010, 9:25 AM
who cares truthfully as long as the bike gets ridden and used paint what ever you want

born2boogie
03-12-2010, 9:26 AM
Just paint it three different metalflake colors with a cool scale pattern!! If you're not doing that, you're not cool right now.

revmike
03-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Just paint it three different metalflake colors with a cool scale pattern!! If you're not doing that, you're not cool right now.
Don't forget the lace. Although I'm not really doggin, because I've always dug lace and scallops.... and metal flake... But I liked it the first go round too...

~Rev Mike

seventhirteen
03-12-2010, 10:40 AM

you will find that just about all women will cheat or leave their husbands after getting bolt ons....

Sasquatch
03-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Why would you force something you work so hard on to rust?

wickedblockhead
03-12-2010, 12:09 PM
i like this guy!

KrOwN
03-12-2010, 12:25 PM

cause no matter how hard and long you work on it, its still a peice of shit!!! well for me anyways

justinspace
03-12-2010, 12:27 PM
if you like fake patina's then do it. its your bike. all the attitude over a patina is lame...i see it no different froma guy on a bagger scoffing at my lil xs...screw that guy and screw the guy that doesnt like my paint. my paint is lace. im, sure lots of people will have somthing to say about it this summer but i dont give a rats ass...people make fun of my white grips too but guess what, ill be making a white seat to match it soon.
bottom line, do whatcha like. and fuck the naysayers

hugodv01
03-12-2010, 3:18 PM
you will find that just about all women will cheat or leave their husbands after getting bolt ons....

Seen it happen 2x's already.

nick5
03-12-2010, 3:46 PM
Y'all are killin my buzz...

born2boogie
03-12-2010, 10:46 PM
Do what you want. Fuck the haters.

Life keeps rollin either way.

eliwolf6
03-13-2010, 2:08 AM
if you like fake patina's then do it. its your bike. all the attitude over a patina is lame...i see it no different froma guy on a bagger scoffing at my lil xs...screw that guy and screw the guy that doesnt like my paint. my paint is lace. im, sure lots of people will have somthing to say about it this summer but i dont give a rats ass...people make fun of my white grips too but guess what, ill be making a white seat to match it soon.
bottom line, do whatcha like. and fuck the naysayers

exactly

TemeculaTerry
03-13-2010, 9:04 AM
No Haters., thats a stupid ass comment! A question was asked that included peoples opinions and people are taking the time giving their opinions, thats it!
Its called dialog...

seventhirteen
03-13-2010, 9:16 AM
but if i hate it doesn't that make me a hater? it's ok to hate, embrace your hate is my motto

my opinion would be why i hate it or why i am a hater, i hate it because i believe you should fix things up not down. i am a turd polisher, i start with a broken pile of trash and attempt to assemble it into something better, not something worse.

i hate alot of things, surely a list too long to even try and list, that said i can also appreciate the time other people put into the things they like, course that doesn't mean i don't still hate it though....

choppercharlie
03-13-2010, 10:34 AM
for a bunch of dudes who hate being judged, you guys are being awfully judgmental. And to all the fuckers riding there metal flake bikes thinking there cooler then the guy with a homemade patina.... you think metal flake is a new thing? After all, what style hasn't come and gone a million times? As long as your riding the hell out of your bike who cares what it looks like!

damaged
03-13-2010, 10:51 AM
it dont matter what it looks like just ride ,id rather ride than spend time polishing up my turd.
Bailing wire duckkk tape and zip ties. ride ride Los ratos Basterdo's 4/life

born2boogie
03-13-2010, 11:11 AM
No Haters., thats a stupid ass comment! A question was asked that included peoples opinions and people are taking the time giving their opinions, thats it!
Its called dialog...

Wasn't calling the people here haters. Just the people in life that try n put down everything in life. Its her bike n she can do what she wants. That's all.

No need to yell at me over the internet, tough guy.

wickedblockhead
03-13-2010, 12:35 PM
i love that when someone gets pissed they have to be an internet tough guy.

revmike
03-13-2010, 12:42 PM
Junk

http://www.chopcult.com/uploads_user/2000/1940/13498.jpg

Pile

TemeculaTerry
03-13-2010, 1:22 PM
How did he know
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/LieFeng/aInternetToughGuy.jpg

Just stating a fact, dont ask for opinion if you cant handle it.

born2boogie
03-13-2010, 1:34 PM
I don't remember asking for your opinion....

We are through here.

revmike
03-13-2010, 1:54 PM
Hey Terry, that's just not true, I NEVER smoked filter tips....

~Rev Mike

TemeculaTerry
03-13-2010, 1:55 PM
I don't remember asking for your opinion....

We are through here.
Hahahaha - dude, read the first, yes the very first post..... tough guy!

born2boogie
03-13-2010, 2:47 PM
I didn't ask for any opinion at all. Just stop posting and we will go our seperate ways.

Arguing for the sake of arguing now. Just stupid.

xllance
03-13-2010, 10:44 PM

All my wife did was get a padded bra and she was out the door and down the street.

FlYinGPig666
03-14-2010, 10:53 AM
well i suppose that was going good for a while. then it was fake tits and haters. thanks for everyone that gave a true opinion. i will do what i do as so will you, fawking ride hard and keep loving the fact we have choices that we can decide on to do whatever the hell we want with our bikes.

justinspace
03-14-2010, 3:05 PM
woo hoo!
yep...

trnrover
03-14-2010, 3:23 PM
All my wife did was get a padded bra and she was out the door and down the street.

Yeah no shit i don't care if they are a's or b's.

oldmansporty63
03-14-2010, 3:49 PM
up here rust takes on a life off its own. i HATE the shit. FUCK rust, FUCK fake patinas, and FUCK fake shit alltogether!

what he said.

cheapchop
03-14-2010, 5:39 PM
OOOOOOOOOOHHHHH Boyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Downhill in a hurry.

Just for laughs, I say if you can make your paint the way you want, and someone calls it fake patina, then you can argue over weather or not it is cool.

One more thing...... If YOU are building YOUR bike for YOURSELF, does it really mean a rat's ass if someone else likes it? I for one am building my bike for me, and I thank those who like it and ignore those who don't. I do not hold a grudge for the ones who don't, because I probably don't care for what they are doing.

Why is it we are always trying to justify ourselves?????? Or better yet why are we always trying to make the other person feel like shit?????

ridemore16
03-14-2010, 5:53 PM
Why is it we are always trying to justify ourselves?????? Or better yet why are we always trying to make the other person feel like shit?????

Can I get an AMEN!!!! The "chopper" world can seem a lot like High School in so many ways. This post is spot on!!!

TemeculaTerry
03-14-2010, 6:11 PM
Why does a person who doesnt give a shit and all they want to do is ride ask for an opinion anyhow?

Easy - Dont ask for an opinion if you dont want an answer that you may not like. Not being a hater just being honest with MY own perspective on the subject...

-or-

Maybe we should call this place the Chop Decorum Cult - that would be swell.
Heres the new logo - Bill take note...

Patches should be ready in a week - lol

cheapchop
03-14-2010, 7:39 PM
Why does a person who doesnt give a shit and all they want to do is ride ask for an opinion anyhow?

Easy - Dont ask for an opinion if you dont want an answer that you may not like. Not being a hater just being honest with MY own perspective on the subject...

-or-

Maybe we should call this place the Chop Decorum Cult - that would be swell.
Heres the new logo - Bill take note...

Patches should be ready in a week - lol

I see your point and I guess I missed mine ( I am not touchy feely). If you like it great, but don't look for someone else to make you feel good about it. If you don't feel good about it on your own you probably should rethink it.

xllance
03-14-2010, 7:44 PM
I wonder if anyone can tell the difference between real give-a-shit and fake give-a-shit?

killtheking
03-15-2010, 11:05 AM
heres how i view it; i see the craftsmenship or design in something and appresiate it for that. i.e. bmw bikes, i would never own one, BUT they are very finely tuned performance bikes. a friend of mine has one. i rod it once for about 10 min when he first got it. it was the hands down smoothest ride i have ever been on. handle like a dream, speed out the ass, blah blah blah.
now that being said, i would never own one. its not my style. i think its an ugly bike, he thinks its the hottest shit ever. we are still really good friends.
fake patina....its a fuking color! if you dont like it dont put it on your bike. just like the dudes that build crazy show bikes. i highly admire the skill, but the bikes as a whole dont do it for me. just take the good leave the bad.
didnt mean for this to be so long:)

FlYinGPig666
03-15-2010, 6:19 PM
I'm doing patina cuz I like it, and because I think it's artistic and it will be fun to do on a bike..i ilke all kinds of paint jobs, thanks for everyone who stated their opinion, whether we agree or not I still appreciated the thoughts.

xllance
03-15-2010, 7:11 PM
Glad you decided to do what you wanted to in the first place.

justin666
03-15-2010, 7:22 PM
claire, you suck and i hate you :)

killjoy408
03-15-2010, 8:11 PM
FAKE Patina is bullshit.... Always hated it, always will...

I live in the south, where rust is a way of life and a constant fight, and all the "cool kid" west coasters are rusting bikes up on purpose???? Fawk that....

I agree with you on so many levels.

the whole rat rod and even that term is a disgrace to the bike and hot rod community.

SMChewy
03-15-2010, 8:26 PM
I agree with you on so many levels.

the whole rat rod and even that term is a disgrace to the bike and hot rod community.

Wooowwww now. Let's not forget where the term Rat Rod came from before you call IT a disgrace. I am not trying to start shit, maybe more so enlighten you. The term comes from someone who every single one of us has had at least some inspiration from. Ed "Big Daddy" Roth. To call anything that man inspired or worked on a disgrace is completely outrageous. He is one of the godfathers of customization. Now what some may call "Rat Rods" now days may be disgraceful to the Rat Rod name. I agree, sometimes you gotta call a turd a turd. But there are good examples of clean rat rods and rat bikes. It is a shame that some people think a falling apart piece of junk rattle canned flat black, makes a rat. But there are some clean well done, good performing examples on this site alone. The shame is what the name is coming to now, and how many have destroyed it, not the term to begin with. Again, if you ride a piece of shit that's falling apart, and you have it held together with bailing wire and duct tape and think it's cool, it is not a rat. IT IS STILL A PIECE OF SHIT HELD TOGETHER WITH WIRE AND TAPE! I will cut it loose there, I have said what needed to be said.

RIP Big Daddy-o

seventhirteen
03-15-2010, 8:52 PM
actually rat rod is not from ed roth at all, the shifters coined the term in the mid 90's, some will say gray baskerville but it was just a quote from a shifters article they ran, the term rat bike actually pre-dates rat rods course thats another story all together

people hate the term now because it's so popular and alot of people thought just because a rat rod looked rough it was a piece of shit, same as bikes, folks started using stupider and stupider projects to build thrown together pieces of shit

rat rods have been around since the 40's really but were just called hot rods or jalopies, course cars were called ratty, but noone was calling them "rat rods"

that's my car trivia for the day, feel free to call me a liar

revmike
03-15-2010, 9:12 PM
Actually, totally coincidentally, I read an article today about Cor-Ten, a 'weathering' steel designed by US Steel. The idea is that it would create a protective coat of rust and would require no other finish. There are some drawbacks, but it is used in a lot of art you see that is intended to 'patina' or be left raw as well as some building materials. I think it might also be available in sheet.

The standard for the metal is defined in ASTM A242 grade A 606 for thin sheet.

Here is a wiki link to Cor-Ten (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weathering_steel)

Hope someone finds that useful

~Rev Mike

SMChewy
03-15-2010, 9:16 PM
I have heard that before. But I have also heard they coined the phrase, because of Rat Fink (inspiration for the name "Rat Rod", not created by Ed, but out of respect for kinda thing), which was the creation of Ed Roth. I am not a pro, but I do degress that what used to be a Rat, which was acceptable in the custom world, no longer means the same. I could be talking outta my ass and mis-quoting someone else who had their head up their ass. Wouldn't be the first time. But I am just a dumb young punk, what do I know other than what I associate with the word. I consider things like this...

http://www.chopcult.com/uploads_user/1000/609/9410.jpg
A rat. But look how clean it is. Not falling apart, not half assed, maybe not finished, but clean. I'm done. I'll shut up now before I make myself look dumber than I already have. Thanks for the lesson though.

P.S. Thanks Daddy's Devil for the pic of your pop's rod.

xllance
03-15-2010, 9:36 PM
Actually, totally coincidentally, I read an article today about Cor-Ten, a 'weathering' steel designed by US Steel. The idea is that it would create a protective coat of rust and would require no other finish. There are some drawbacks, but it is used in a lot of art you see that is intended to 'patina' or be left raw as well as some building materials. I think it might also be available in sheet.

The standard for the metal is defined in ASTM A242 grade A 606 for thin sheet.

Here is a wiki link to Cor-Ten (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weathering_steel)

Hope someone finds that useful

~Rev Mike

Cool, so I could build myself a "rat garage" out of this stuff!

revmike
03-15-2010, 9:59 PM
Cool, so I could build myself a "rat garage" out of this stuff!
Actually, I have a neighbor who had done quite a job trimming his house in weathered steel, to include his entire carport with sheets of steel on the side and roof, steel posts and chain fencing his yard and steel trim on his house. It is all properly weathered and rusted.

Only problem is if ANY of that ran onto your car or bike, it isn't coming out. It can cause nearby metal to rust more readily... but YEAH, go for it....

~Rev Mike

xllance
03-15-2010, 10:17 PM
See, all you fake patina lovers, you could sorta cheat and "accidently " leave your bike parked under the eave of an old rusty barn during a rain shower and it would get all patinaized .

FlYinGPig666
03-19-2010, 11:48 AM
i heard if u pissed on it and then buried it 3 feet underground u could get sweeet effects ;)

oldmansporty63
03-23-2010, 9:35 AM
fake patina is like a fake orgasm......it looks good once, but after awhile it just doesnt cut it anymore.....or so my ex-old lady found out hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

the bitch. now, back to watching SOA.

number1son
03-24-2010, 7:19 AM
No you got it twisted fake patina is like a block o pussy,if you squint it almost looks the same but its clearly not. I am just waiting for the day when we have to ask if its allright to have shiny paint. If I said that I had never been caught looking at a fake patina bike, I would be lying . Wait a minute FAKE PATINA =FP FAKE PUSSY=FP ERIE ISN'T IT>>>>>

elitekustomz
04-01-2010, 9:52 PM
I am a painter and my thoughts on the whole patina thing is that ia makes no god damn sense. you spend a ton of time to build a bad ass bike fab a bunch of parts and then paint it to look like a raggedy piece of shit !! How can this make any sense at all and what I really don't get is how the hell that crap is getting features in all the rags. I can see if the bike is old as hell ridden to hell and back and never been restored, but a brand new build painted to look like that is ridiculous. And thats my .02

shathead
04-02-2010, 6:56 AM
It's an aesthetic choice for me - no diff than having a bike with super wild candy colors, lace panels or the ever popular flat black. It's about the look of weathered paint, the variations in tones, layers peaking through, you know, visual interest in the paint itself.
Now, painted on rust-look or trying to pass off sanded paint as true vintage blows.
Taste is taste - I don't want a haggerd old ho with canyons of stretch marks nor a virginal pre-teen looking coed, but a delightfully skilled missy with a few age lines, oh yeah.
I don't know, made sense while I was typing it....
http://shathead.com

badmojo
05-24-2010, 2:11 PM
Fake patina is gay!!

Greedyg
06-14-2012, 4:50 PM
I just read thru this entire old ass thread hoping someone was gonna post an example of fake tits, I'm pathetic...:(

Spade115
06-14-2012, 4:52 PM
:cheersmate:

I love it, wronge thread but I love it. lol

sandergecko
06-15-2012, 10:47 AM
Fake patina gone wrong:
http://drfugly.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/rfthegap.jpg

hillakilla
06-15-2012, 2:52 PM
fake patina is like a fake orgasm......
now, back to watching SOA.

haha, my thought too... as in, i don't do it, but i really don't care if you do or not.

poonslammer
06-15-2012, 3:34 PM
i did the whole fake patina shit on my bike, not because i like it but because it will cause me to put a real paint job on it sooner than i would without the patina

tattoo2303
06-15-2012, 3:47 PM
Fake patina is very much like the way hipsters dress, some how the people with fake patina that costs alot, and dirty, worn out clothes that cost alot know and look down on you for the genuine article

poonslammer
06-15-2012, 6:42 PM
Fake patina is very much like the way hipsters dress, some how the people with fake patina that costs alot, and dirty, worn out clothes that cost alot know and look down on you for the genuine article

so everyone with real patina is a hipster?

brach77
06-15-2012, 6:56 PM
so everyone with real patina is a hipster?

If this is the case then I'm going out to paint my bike right now.

davidabl
06-15-2012, 7:02 PM
I do like how the faded, weathered paint on old pickup trucks has more saturated color now than they did when the trucks were shiny & new.
A flat paint job on a bike that had that kind of color would be way cool. "Fake patina" or not.

ThePete
06-15-2012, 7:38 PM
I almost did the fake patina routine, but decided against it, figured it had to be earned. What I did do on the other hand was prime the bike with multiple layers of gray and rust brown primer. After it set I did a light sand and allowed the rust and gray to coexist before hitting it up with a single coat of the green I chose. Eventually with wear and tear that will start to show through. I doubt that I will keep it this way after it starts to wear through because I want to change the tank up down the line. I tend to repaint our bikes during the winter and right now we only have the one bike.

KeyserSoze
06-15-2012, 9:29 PM
Rust.........natures lock-tite.