PDA

View Full Version : Magna Bobber Build

caudills2
03-09-2010, 7:07 PM
Well I have been a member for around 3 weeks now and figured i would post pictures of my build from last year! Just recently sold the Magna and picked up a 80 xs650 I am going to make a brat build out of! Enjoy the pictures!

caudills2
03-09-2010, 7:17 PM
Also a picture of the Magna when i first purchased it! Added a few pictures of my vstar 650 build as well. And lastly my brothers CB750F I built for him!

earz
03-09-2010, 7:41 PM
Wow. All of them are great. Especially the magna. What year is it? 750 or 1100?

viz
03-09-2010, 7:44 PM
NICE! I love the magna build. Great stuff

caudills2
03-09-2010, 8:03 PM
The magna was an 84 V30 500cc, vstar was a 650 and the CB is a 750!

corydjarman
03-09-2010, 8:26 PM
shessus... thats a horse of a different color! Looks amazing.

troyt
03-12-2010, 9:44 AM
I saw someone riding that thing at delhi skatepark last week, looked good.

caudills2
03-12-2010, 11:03 PM
Haha rad! Ya a guy by the name of Tony purchased and and now has it! A super cool guy! And that Skatepark is cool man! I ride Florence outdoor alot!

turtle
04-04-2010, 7:50 PM
I dig the pipes

JPWilliams
04-04-2010, 9:10 PM
You're such a tease. I need to see a better front view so I really know the stance and the look.

caudills2
04-05-2010, 5:56 PM
here is a pic from the front, MINUS the square headlight....i put a circle light on it soon after this picture was taken

ditto
09-08-2011, 4:06 PM
hey man - ive got a couple questions on your Magna - did you mod the frame at all? Is that the stock swingarm? thing looks sweet

A buddy of mine has an 82 that IM debating on whether I wanna take it or not - these seem like a hard choice to chop ybut you did a helluva job - any idea how close (or not) an 82 would be to that 84?

thanks

oldHat
09-08-2011, 5:37 PM
An 82 Magna is a little tough. The one that guy did is a chain driven one (a 500 cc one if I remember correctly.)

The 82 v45 Magna is a shafty. So, you're not going to be able to do a lot with the rear end unless you really wanna chop into the drive shaft.

I'm currently working on an 82 myself. I've completely changed the backbone and hard tailed it. If you do decide to get it you'll have one of the quickest chop jobs around, but it'll be tough to get it right.

If you have any more questions i'd be happy to answer any I could.

BOBO
09-08-2011, 9:09 PM
:eek: i love what you did to that magna, awesome job man. love it.

davidabl
09-08-2011, 10:08 PM
Definitey a silk purse from a sow's ear is that Magna.

ditto
09-09-2011, 2:57 PM
An 82 Magna is a little tough. The one that guy did is a chain driven one (a 500 cc one if I remember correctly.)

The 82 v45 Magna is a shafty. So, you're not going to be able to do a lot with the rear end unless you really wanna chop into the drive shaft.

I'm currently working on an 82 myself. I've completely changed the backbone and hard tailed it. If you do decide to get it you'll have one of the quickest chop jobs around, but it'll be tough to get it right.

If you have any more questions i'd be happy to answer any I could.

thanks for the response OldHat - I didnt pick up on the chain drive he has - hmm - I thought all Magnas were shaft drive - but I admittedly dont know shit about em.

I can pick this thing up for $100 bucks and told the only thing wrong is a broken ignition

Have you done a build thread on yours - defintly interested

THanks

oldHat
09-09-2011, 3:55 PM
Yea, the baby magnas (v30s) were chain and I believe the interceptors were also chain.

I started one a while back, but that was mainly just frame mock up. Nothing too fancy. I'll be posting on here with some more pictures when (...if...?) I actually get the old girl running again.

For $100 bucks i'd get it in a heart beat. Even if you didn't decide to chop into it, its still a great little scoot to have around. Nothing against the big HD's, but a v45 can smoke them any day, and for $100 bucks, how could you turn that down?

Ignition wise, it should be an easy fix. Depending on what rout you want to go, you could either get a used ebay one, or find something else and make it work. It's just a 5 wire switch. I'm going to be running a standard 3 wire switch with some toggle switches or something, i'm not too sure yet. (I'm saving electrical for the end)

But yea, if you need anything just holler. I can send you some links for the shop manuals with all the schematics if you want.

ditto
09-09-2011, 4:47 PM
OH appreciate the info greatly and will be taking you up on advice!

Gene
09-09-2011, 4:50 PM
That v4 is such a great motor too. I know this thread was necro'd but how does it run on the straight pipes? I have an '03 in the garage. It's a beast compared to the early 80s ones but.....

ditto
09-12-2011, 1:07 PM
ok, im keepin this dead bitch on the guest bed until I man up and actually get the bike im talking about (to keep the necro theme mentioned above)

anyway - the 82 IM thinking baout is shaft drive - a few comments above say theyre hard to chop but couldnt i do something similar to this? stolen from Boondocker here in the Jap sub:

oldHat
09-12-2011, 2:31 PM
ok, im keepin this dead bitch on the guest bed until I man up and actually get the bike im talking about (to keep the necro theme mentioned above)

anyway - the 82 IM thinking baout is shaft drive - a few comments above say theyre hard to chop but couldnt i do something similar to this? stolen from Boondocker here in the Jap sub:

Thats sorta what i'm doing with mine. If you look closely at the backbone you'll notice that he's changed it from the original hooped design (i believe thats what it was) to a single backbone. The magna for sure has a double hoop backbone. If you're planning on keeping the original tank that's no big deal, but if you want to run a sporty tank you'll have to change it to get the tank to sit right. What I did with mine was to cut out the backbone all together and put in a single one that fits the channel of a sporty tank. From that I just put some bent pipes on the end running down to the mounting points on the rear hub. To mount the hub to the bent pipes I cut up the original shock mounts off and welded them to a half section of pipe larger than the down pipes I had.

I did it this way so I would be able to drop the original swing arm to change the tire. The only thing you'll want to really be sure about is that the pipes you have running from the backbone are strong. Like in the picture there, hes got just the two pipes running down to the hub. He's got a pretty decent gusset there, but thats a lot of pressure and weight to be sitting on just the two pipes there. What I did to compensate for that was to get a thick walled pipe to begin with, but then got one that fit inside of it very tightly. With a little bit of hammer work, i got the smaller one shoved inside the larger and got about half an inch thinness overall. Thats way overkill i'm sure, but i sure don't want it to fold if i hit a bump.

If you do decide to go the single backbone rout, it would be a good time to decide if you're going to rake the front end out at all. I did it to mine and it really made the stance mean looking. I'll have to see if I can post some pics here maybe after this next weekend after I get some more time to work on it.

ditto
09-12-2011, 3:39 PM
thanks again 'hat! yea man, post a pic - would love to see it - Im gonna grab this 82, might be a week or two though