PDA

View Full Version : KZ rear wheel swap

corydjarman
03-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Want to swap rear 16in. for 18in. on a 82 KZ 550 ltd. Any ideas? Thought i'd go lazy and just ask if anyones has successfully pulled it off before. Well?...

BillySlicks
03-09-2010, 12:34 PM
I ran a 16X3 harley rear on a kz440 Bobber than I ran last season. It was a hard tail so I could fit a 16X5 Avon SMS.

It was expensive and a bitch to do. As far as I know, or as far as I could research Kawasaki didn't run 16" rears that were compatible with the KZ's.
I ened up buying a kz400 spoke wheel of egay for the hub. Went to the local spot for part picked up the harley rim and shipped the the rim and hub to Buchanens and had them custom make spokes for the whole deal.

It was like $300 for the spokes and truing. Then 240 for the Avon. Add the price of the rim, and the hub and you get an idea of the cost of the whole thing.

My advice to you is dig around and find a CB 16" chopper wheel. They come up on ebay alot and I see them on forum alot too...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_rxAlTUpEHU0/SmYgB5gfhKI/AAAAAAAAAnE/pVDjix1xfuw/s400/IMG_2376.JPG

BillySlicks
03-09-2010, 12:42 PM
Or better yet abandon the whole idea run the 18"
Find yourself a mid 70's cr125 21" 36 spoke wheel and you can run that on your front with no hassles. The axle and spacing is the same sizing.
You even get a fancy brake drum for stopping.
Less work same result.
Just run a Firestone deluxe on the rear the 4x18 or the 4.5X18 and it will more or less look the same as running a wide 16.

nerdsports
03-09-2010, 1:09 PM
i think you guys are mistaken. the 82 kz550 ltd runs a 16" rear. he wants to know the possibility of finding a compatible 18" rear wheel.

while i understand your inquiry, i dont have an answer for you. good luck!

corydjarman
03-09-2010, 1:09 PM
not sure if i follow the logic on this one. Run 21" front and a taller tire on a 16" rear? Not doubting the info just the presentation. Im looking for a taller, less squatty rear wheel for the project. Not going to hardtail, just taller springs and what not. Still new to the processes and details of conversions, if yall feel me.

corydjarman
03-09-2010, 1:11 PM
i think you guys are mistaken. the 82 kz550 ltd runs a 16" rear. he wants to know the possibility of finding a compatible 18" rear wheel.

while i understand your inquiry, i dont have an answer for you. good luck!

Nerdsports is right.

BillySlicks
03-09-2010, 2:02 PM
well in that case most Kz rears are 18"

You'll have no problems there. Closest would be 80 KZ440 rear most likely. The came in both spoke and the morris knock off mags

nerdsports
03-09-2010, 2:18 PM
so would all kawasaki rear wheels be compatible with one another?

browse the ebay link for kawasaki models with 18" rear wheels. http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=18+kawasaki+rear&_sacat=See-All-Categories

BillySlicks
03-09-2010, 2:43 PM
the only huge difference is between disc and drum.

The 750 twins ran a rear disc, where as most Kz's run a rear drum with the exception of a few distinct models.
Meaning the suffixed letter at the end of the model designation would be the key in letting you know if it was drum or disc.
Off the top off my head I can't remember but for example in Canada, most KZ models are the D model.
Although both A and B models were available through dealer import we were seeing Ds.
Most of the time the designation was just for cosmetics, but every now and then it was for other options as well.

Do your research, call your dealer.

Just don't listen to them when they tell you other models/years won't fit your bike.

Also become a member of KZ400.com and the other KZ forum as well. Good info, and its broken down per model so it makes searching for tech tips easier

BillySlicks
03-09-2010, 2:47 PM
so would all kawasaki rear wheels be compatible with one another?

browse the ebay link for kawasaki models with 18" rear wheels. http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=18+kawasaki+rear&_sacat=See-All-Categories

This I can't tell you for certain.

I'd stay away from trying to marry up a modern dirt bike wheel with a KZ.
I know most, not all KZ model wheels are interchangeable with a little or no work.

I've owned and worked on way too many KZs so you start to find things out.
The only thing I can tell you is the H1 and H2 wheels do not work very well on a KZ, and the 900 and 1000 model KZs are fairly interchangeable with each other to a point (wheels, bars, some electrics, etc...) but not very well with anything with lower cc's if that makes sense

corydjarman
03-09-2010, 3:31 PM
Thanks guys. Will keep my peepers peeled.

BillySlicks
03-09-2010, 5:22 PM
If you have a disc on the search out a KZ750E rear wheel.
It's an 18" Morris style mag.

KawiDave
03-09-2010, 9:05 PM
I can tell you this. I have both a 440 and 750 twin and the axle size is different. Maybe you could change bearings, I don't know I haven't been down that road. Also I think the 750 hub is wider.

BillySlicks
03-09-2010, 11:29 PM
I can tell you this. I have both a 440 and 750 twin and the axle size is different. Maybe you could change bearings, I don't know I haven't been down that road. Also I think the 750 hub is wider.

I'd give my left nut for another 750 twin. Finding one here is next to impossible.

The best way to look at KZ's is like this...

200-350: interchangeable

400-550: interchangeable

650:750: interchangeable although the twin model is a bastard when it comes to this the coils and starter clutch are all different.

900-1000: interchangeable

I was fortunate enough to be able to manipulate both swing arms and hard tails so i was able to put different wheels on different models....But if you want easy go with the above advice...

VJ
03-10-2010, 1:08 AM
I'd give my left nut for another 750 twin. Finding one here is next to impossible.

The best way to look at KZ's is like this...

200-350: interchangeable

400-550: interchangeable

650:750: interchangeable although the twin model is a bastard when it comes to this the coils and starter clutch are all different.

900-1000: interchangeable

I was fortunate enough to be able to manipulate both swing arms and hard tails so i was able to put different wheels on different models....But if you want easy go with the above advice...

just a minor correction- the 650-750 twin and four all share the same starter clutch if memory serves it's only a question of location within the motors.

BillySlicks
03-10-2010, 11:17 AM
As far as I know there is no 650 twin.
And the failing of the starter clutch is a common problem for the 750 twin. And using a starter clutch from a 650four will not work. I tried.
I did read some where that some people have had success with it, but some wizrardry was involved and I couldn't get it to work myself.

justin666
03-10-2010, 7:19 PM
my girl has a non titled kz440 sitting in my garage, im not sure what she wants to do with it, but ill check the rear wheel size. PM me if you might be interested in it.... ill try and talk her into letting it go. hahaha

bigdaddy
03-11-2010, 10:03 PM
i picked up an 18 inch for my kz 750 twin for 10 bucks on ebay with a tire, rotor, and caliper. i did some research on switching bearings in the front wheel, and it was a bitch. i'm not sure about the rear wheel. maybe it would be a lot of work, but i bet you could find a rear swing arm/wheel combo from another kz and swap out yours. that way you wouldn't have to deal with axle or bearing sizes. i'm not sure how wide your swing arm is up front, but i'd be willing to measure the one i have to see if it would fit your frame. the 750 4 cylinder would probably be too wide, but the 750 twin swing arm might fit?? you could swap the whole thing out in less than an hour.

corydjarman
03-16-2010, 12:11 PM
i picked up an 18 inch for my kz 750 twin for 10 bucks on ebay with a tire, rotor, and caliper. i did some research on switching bearings in the front wheel, and it was a bitch. i'm not sure about the rear wheel. maybe it would be a lot of work, but i bet you could find a rear swing arm/wheel combo from another kz and swap out yours. that way you wouldn't have to deal with axle or bearing sizes. i'm not sure how wide your swing arm is up front, but i'd be willing to measure the one i have to see if it would fit your frame. the 750 4 cylinder would probably be too wide, but the 750 twin swing arm might fit?? you could swap the whole thing out in less than an hour.

Yep im thinking thats the way to go. its my daily rider (only rider) other than my pedal bike so i may have to wait til summer to swap. Ill keep details coming and also a full thread on the swap when it happens, maybe someone can find it useful later.