PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help with XS

inxs
03-07-2010, 4:28 PM
Hey folks,
I need little advice. My bike an XS 650 1984. Was running O.K. last night. I had just cleaned the carbs and like I said it was running fine. Then today I went to start it up and after the third kick I figured I would give it a little choke. Bam!!! It started but back fired a little and then once I pushed the choke in the motor started to rev up like crazy. I mean it sounded like a ghost was opening my throttle wide open. I tried to rev it up a bit thinking it would go down and it did not go down. I shut it off and was getting white smoke out of my left exhaust pipe. I tried it again and got the same results! Any body know what the F%#$ is going on with this thing or have any advice for me! was hoping to ride today, first day since winter and am itching to get on the road .

Thanks for any tips or suggestions ion advance.

malloy
03-07-2010, 4:33 PM
ok, so you just cleaned the carbs.. did you remove the carbs??? checked and be sure the throttle cable is working properly and not holding them open.. how far did you disassmled them??? did you put everything correctly. don't look over the obivious and keep it simple. re-trace your steps and you'll probably find your error

inxs
03-07-2010, 4:55 PM
Took them off, opened them up, Cleaned out every nook and cranny. It's not the first time I have cleaned these things and I did remove them to check again. I also checked the throttle cable and it is not holding them open. That was my first thought as well. When open the crabs seem fine meaning all parts back to where they belong. I will check them again though.

HWC
03-07-2010, 5:16 PM
stock carbs??
chek the diaphrams in the top of the carbs an your intake boots for leaks..
if all is good with your cable an linkages

inxs
03-07-2010, 8:48 PM
Alright, I took everything apart again. Then I took out my spark plugs and the left one was soaked in oil. Checked the Manual and said oil is passing my Pistons ? Aside form superficial stuff my knowledge goes about this far.

Frankenfab
03-08-2010, 3:11 AM
Sounds like a super nasty intake leak to me.
Maybe check the rubber intake boots to see if they are cracked within.... like removed them completely and inspect them.

inxs
03-08-2010, 5:17 PM
Could this be a bottom end problem. Oil..White smoke, Popping exhaust, Oily plugs, and high reving motor? Maybe a blown piston or something?

Frankenfab
03-08-2010, 5:25 PM
I suppose but your recently having cleaned the carbs sends off alarms. Problems like what you're talking about above would prolly have began manifesting themselves slowly. This sounds sudden.
If you are really worried that is what it is... do a compression test. If that comes out well and you're still worried, do a leak down test.

inxs
03-08-2010, 6:18 PM
Doing the Test tomorrow! The Cleaning the Carbs bit was just Winter clean up. I have been through so much shit with this bike that my resources are running low. It makes it hard to admit defeat but i think after tomorrow if this turns out to be a bust i am moving on! This Bike and me have been through a a lot. But Like any bad relationship...dump them!

Sasquatch
03-08-2010, 9:34 PM
sounds like rings. A compression test will tell you for sure.