PDA

View Full Version : I want a mild rake.

VJ
03-06-2010, 5:45 PM
I did a search here for rake projects. No joy. I have an 81 KZ650csr that I want to add maybe 5-10 more degrees rake. Is there a brace I can fab to assure alignment? Any tips / tricks to use or avoid.

Punkskalar
03-07-2010, 2:14 PM
Find someone with a GOOD frame jig.... Pay them.... Done.... Or build a JIG yourself, but if you will only use it once, then its not worth the time and effort really...

WOMPY
03-07-2010, 3:57 PM
I invited VJ here to chopcult so he can get some help with his frame. Anyone here form Ohio with a frame jig that can help a brother out?

HWC
03-07-2010, 6:51 PM
im in Virginia,,,hav jig,,reasonable prices..
if u cant find any one in oHIo

philbey
03-08-2010, 6:08 PM
Dunno if you're keen to tackle this yourself but the chopper builders handbook has a good basic jig that will let you rake your own frame.

http://www.chopperhandbook.com/neatstuff/welding-jigs-1.htm

I reckon I'll build one like this some day.

VJ
03-09-2010, 9:33 AM
I was hoping to do this without a teardown since riding season is almost upon us. The more I learn the more I realize how unprepared I am to tackle this. I'll see if I can find another frame already stripped and maybe HWC can help me out. Anyone got a cheap KZ650/750 frame laying around?

slimvulcanrider
03-09-2010, 6:19 PM
Hey VJ, thanks for the invite... looks like another good playground for us... Like you and I talked, I don't think a complete teear down is in order, but you do need to make a front end jig.... get the VN 700 running then consentrate on making this wicked raked out KZ...

KawiDave
03-09-2010, 9:11 PM
it is possible to do without a jig. My entire frame was built without and also raked, but only a few degrees (34). Just be very careful and take your time welding. Measure..measure...then measure twice!

junkyardjon
03-10-2010, 5:49 PM
do you have the front end/forks your gonna run or use the same one? measure trail when done.
you don't need a jig, just cut it and keep it straight, wedge it and weld it. that's all thats to it. i've done a few that way and all are straight and ride perfect. i'm in michigan

slimvulcanrider
03-10-2010, 6:35 PM
I am sure VJ will pop back up on here later tonight, but I kinda know whats going on... He is using the old forks, but he is changing the Neck out.. After he puts it all together, how does he get his trail back to an acceptable limit...(if its out of tollerances)?

junkyardjon
03-10-2010, 7:50 PM
raked trees and longer tubes LOL. tell him not to forget about ground clearance

slimvulcanrider
03-10-2010, 7:53 PM
No need to remind him... he has been telling me that all along with my Vn750 Bobber Bagger Build.

VJ
03-10-2010, 11:36 PM
I intend to use the stock forks raised in the trees for clipons on top. The rear is already a few inches lower with shorter shocks and relocated mounts. The goal is to maintain near stock handling with a lower stance and maqintain ground clearance for pipes and pegs.

turtle
04-04-2010, 7:52 PM
Buy you a set of raked trees that's the easiest and you can change it back if you don't like it,

slimvulcanrider
04-05-2010, 12:36 AM
he has to cut off the neck regaurdless.

Blackjack
04-06-2010, 6:41 AM
he has to cut off the neck regaurdless.

Replacing the neck, ain't the same thing as raking the frame.

If you drop the forks to run clip ons on top of the trees AND rake it AND have rear shocks, the frames going to ground out while you're riding it.

Plus, why do you HAVE to change the headstock?

slimvulcanrider
04-06-2010, 1:29 PM
he is changing head units because the vin on his current frame is no good, he has a titled neck that he is wanting to weld up instead... but we have it figured out. I found him a Frame Jig to help him get the right angle, and weld it all up streight.

WOMPY
04-06-2010, 2:39 PM
Post pics, photos, and snapshots!!!