PDA

View Full Version : XS400 Kickstart Problem

Homebrew
02-25-2010, 5:48 PM
I have a '81 XS400 with a kickstart problem. I have had the bike about 4 years, and it's set up kick only. The end of last year it started catching every third or fourth time now it won't turn the engine over at all. I have both sides off the engine, the kicker gearing looks good, when you kick it it turns the center of the clutch basket only. The outer part that is geared to turn the engine doesn't move. I have taken the clutch plates and basket out and they seem to have plenty of meat on them. I do need a new clutch cable and have one on order but right now it's not even hooked up so it's not the problem. It does go into neutral and shifts thru the gears and yes I am trying to kick it in neutral. So my question is why do you think it's not engaging the mainshaft and turning the motor over? Any ideas would be great as I am about out of my own. Sorry about the long winded description.

eric123
02-27-2010, 6:48 PM
When the kicker is moved down is the kicker gear engaging? Is the spring broken or not on correctly? Do you have any pics or a video? I've posted vids on youtube before for troubleshooting purposes...

Homebrew
02-28-2010, 8:04 AM
As for the kicker, yes it is engaging the gear, the spring is working and it spins the center of the clutch but not the outer parts where the gears are to engage the engine. But anyway I will do a video today so you can see what I am talking about.

Homebrew
02-28-2010, 11:23 AM
Here's the video you asked for, any help is greatly appreciated. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN55_ukzfKo

eric123
02-28-2010, 9:18 PM
Are the pressure plate screws the proper torque(ie tight enough)? Are you missing a clutch plate(steel or friction)? And in the proper order...

eric123
02-28-2010, 9:24 PM
At 35 seconds it is clear that there is alot of slop between the clutch plates...

Homebrew
02-28-2010, 9:58 PM
At 35 seconds it is clear that there is alot of slop between the clutch plates...

I had someone else look at the video too and was told the same thing you are so thanks for the second opinion. But yes the friction and clutch plates are all there and the bolts/springs are down tight. I am going to have to take it apart and see what is keeping it spaced out tomorrow. As I said it's really weird that it came on slowly and now won't catch but there is quite a lot of space between the plates and basket. I will update tomorrow night, and thanks for the help.

eric123
03-03-2010, 3:08 PM
Is the pressure plate on correctly? There are usually marks to line things up....That could cause things to bind if not lined up...