PDA

View Full Version : How do I prep to Powder Coat my entire engine ?

nwhitehorne
03-03-2013, 11:21 PM
what is the best way to powder coat the entire engine? i want to powder coat it all and i want to know what i should do and how to send it to the powder coater so it all goes smooth?

Lindy
03-04-2013, 6:39 AM
Your taking it apart correct? no way in hell I would try and have an assembled motor powder coated.

If its dissasembled, take it to some one who hase expierience with powder coating engine parts, they will know what to mask off etc...

LinkBelt
03-04-2013, 7:40 AM
what is the best way to powder coat the entire engine? i want to powder coat it all and i want to know what i should do and how to send it to the powder coater so it all goes smooth?

Why?

nwhitehorne
03-04-2013, 7:46 AM
yes Lindy it is totally apart i just didn't know if there was an better way to set it up for the pc guy other than just droping off the parts. i guess i just have to make sure that the powder coater has done motorcycle engines before. thanks

nwhitehorne
03-04-2013, 7:49 AM
hey LinkBelt
i dont like shiny bright engines. there will be copper accents on the engine but no shiny metal.

LinkBelt
03-04-2013, 8:06 AM
hey LinkBelt
i dont like shiny bright engines. there will be copper accents on the engine but no shiny metal.

I guess I'm just chopper traditionalist. Powder coat does have its place though (on the frame). I guess since the EPA and shit PC is a cheaper means to an end. I just dig classic chops. Really not trying to knock your build it's your bike and your build. Keep on choppen. Sorry for the hi Jack. Carry on.

nwhitehorne
03-04-2013, 8:57 AM
no worries LinkBelt, to each their own. we all have differences in what looks good to us and that is a good thing otherwise all our bikes would look the same and there is no fun in that. keep rocking your style.

patrickedge
03-04-2013, 4:09 PM
just read an article, don't remember where...the horse maybe? anyway, they did testing on powder coated motors vs painted motors. i highly suggest you seek out the article. the powder coated version held in the heat and was considerably hotter than the painted & raw versions.

if you want that look, consider high temp paint

Reid
03-04-2013, 4:40 PM
just read an article, don't remember where...the horse maybe? anyway, they did testing on powder coated motors vs painted motors. i highly suggest you seek out the article. the powder coated version held in the heat and was considerably hotter than the painted & raw versions.

if you want that look, consider high temp paint

Brewdude p.40

vnygra
03-04-2013, 4:45 PM
Brewdude p.40

Is brewdude a magazine or what? Google brought up brew bicycles or beer making stuff...

Reid
03-04-2013, 4:56 PM
The current issue of the horse march/april #128

CRFyou
03-04-2013, 5:18 PM
Wrap your engine in a plastic blanket???

No thanks.

flashpoint
03-04-2013, 8:00 PM
It does hold in heat .I am building a motor and painting the parts with PJ1 Satin.sandblast ,clean,heat in oven to 250 degree and paint ,cooks off the oil or anything that the paint wont stick to and last pretty good. Powder is cool but hard to fix and a bitch to clean off when it scratches .I just blasted some powder coat off some parts and it is a pain in the ass.

nwhitehorne
03-05-2013, 8:41 AM
hey guys thanks for all the great info and pleases keep it coming. i'm learning a lot. and am headed to read that article now.

brooklynbomber
03-06-2013, 8:37 AM
It does hold in heat .I am building a motor and painting the parts with PJ1 Satin.sandblast ,clean,heat in oven to 250 degree and paint ,cooks off the oil or anything that the paint wont stick to and last pretty good. Powder is cool but hard to fix and a bitch to clean off when it scratches .I just blasted some powder coat off some parts and it is a pain in the ass.

FYI - Permatex Gasket remover takes of powdercoat pretty well apparently.

DickBones13
03-06-2013, 8:44 AM
I own a powder coat shop and we dont do engines because it holds all the heat in. You will hurt your motor when the heat of summer comes in. I suggest not doing it alot of pc shops will do it because they dont care. We build alot bikes and I would never pc any engine parts except side covers. Powder is cook on at 400 degrees after your first ride alot of it will flake off not made for that kinda heat.

nwhitehorne
03-06-2013, 8:28 PM
so DickBones13 would you say that i should use a good quality paint made for engines instead?

DickBones13
03-07-2013, 11:33 AM
Yes a good high temp paint will make your life alot easier. They make a rustoleum that is for painting barbeque grills that works really nice. they have a high gloss a semi and a flat. If you have anymore ?s feel free to message me

nwhitehorne
03-07-2013, 7:58 PM
i do have a few questions but (this may be stupid) i don't know how to pm on this forum.

gypdawg
03-07-2013, 9:07 PM
Use VHT ENGINE PAINT, found at your local auto parts store,,,a lot better than Rustoleum.