PDA

View Full Version : Swingarm tweaked

scout41
03-01-2013, 9:19 AM
Not sure wtf the PO did in regards to alignment but something is off....I burn through belts very quickly.
There doesn't seem to be play in the bearings, the frame is straight, and my pulley tooth count/belt count checks out ok. The swing arm doesn't seem to have any play in the bushings, and when the belt is on the bike, you can tell it tracks just slightly to one side.

BTW the PO had deck screws shoved in the axle adjusters, and he put two washers to space the rear pulley off the wheel. I dunno wtf was up with that (cocaine's a hell of a drug). The axle is straight, and doesn't play in the adjusters.

When I level out the bike, I'm wondering if this tweak is acceptable?

Level
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/scottkohs/image-2.jpeg

Here's the swingarm, it's hard to see (and it might look level but it's a shitty pic), but the bubble sits just slightly to the right (on the right outer limit line)

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/scottkohs/image-1.jpeg

IDK, should I pull the swingarm and check for damage, or is this just a harley thing that I should'nt worry about? I'm trying to avoid chain conversion too, don't have the cash to burn right now. I think I'm going to pull the swingarm and check that next, but was looking for input just in case I'm missing something. When I do reassemble, I'm getting stock spacers, new wheel bearings, and I've picked up a stock belt. I'll align the pulleys horizontally and check them vertically when I reassemble. I'm sure I'm just thinking too hard and should just convert to chain, but I've got time to think.

http://blog.thinketg.com/wp-content/uploads/futurama-fry-not-sure-if-programmer-or-cat-pawed-keyboard-552x198.png

Brendden
03-01-2013, 10:01 AM
Make absolutely sure your stand is level, before you do anything, double tirple check, because if it is, that frame is junk.

scout41
03-01-2013, 10:22 AM
:rolleyes:

gypdawg
03-02-2013, 10:25 PM
Iv'e never taken my swingarm off but I'm pretty dam sure that yours is fucked up. If your frame is level and the swingarm is reading about a 1/4' out of level,that aint good. And "deck screws" ?? wtf? Take it off,Lay it on flat surface,not the floor,and it rocks back and forth you need a new swingarm. Check ebay,(pinwall cycles),you can find them for $40. +/-

Flippy02
03-02-2013, 10:28 PM
i've had issues with swingarms before, and looking aorund i've been able to pick them up for 50 bucks or so

Allen
03-03-2013, 11:41 AM
Take it off,Lay it on flat surface,not the floor,and it rocks back and forth you need a new swingarm.

This.

Spartan1
03-03-2013, 6:28 PM
The top of the swingarm doesnt mean anything. Put the axle in and check level at the axle.

70schop
03-03-2013, 8:51 PM
The top of the swingarm doesnt mean anything. Put the axle in and check level at the axle.

This^^ If all checks out on your axle, check out your output shaft bearing. I have seen threads on other sites with tracking issues and it turned out to be worn output shaft bearings. When they come apart its not pretty!

scout41
03-04-2013, 7:33 AM
Thank you guys, thought this wasn't going anywhere. So if it checks out on the axle, is this the output shaft bearing? Can I get to it w/o going the trap door route? BTW 70schop I like what you're doing on that longbike build.
http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx11/vincentbignuts/How-To/SAM_1421.jpg

Spartan1
03-04-2013, 4:53 PM
Your jumping to far ahead. Remove the shocks and see if the swingarm bearings are ok. Move the swingarm up and down and see if its got any wiggle to it. I smoked a rear brake rotor so bad one time it was bowled. Turns out The swingarm bearings were fucked up. They get trashed easily if you run struts in place of the shocks. Then check your preload on your neck bearings by checking your fall away at the front rim. If the neck bearings aint loaded right itvwill wiggle all over the place. A telltale is letting go of the bars at 50 mph. If it starts shaking the bearings are fucked.

ibuiltmine
03-04-2013, 5:55 PM
are you sure your reference point is level? modern stock frames don't have any 'beauty' in them. the engineers dont care if they are crooked inbetween the head stock and the swing arm pivot. as long as those two are lined up its good.

If your sure your frame has a good even spot that is SUPPOSED to be level with your swing arm, then Id say it was more like a bushing or bearing in your swing arm that was messed up.

scout41
03-05-2013, 9:16 AM
Your jumping to far ahead. Remove the shocks and see if the swingarm bearings are ok. Move the swingarm up and down and see if its got any wiggle to it. I smoked a rear brake rotor so bad one time it was bowled. Turns out The swingarm bearings were fucked up. They get trashed easily if you run struts in place of the shocks. Then check your preload on your neck bearings by checking your fall away at the front rim. If the neck bearings aint loaded right itvwill wiggle all over the place. A telltale is letting go of the bars at 50 mph. If it starts shaking the bearings are fucked.

I'm not jumping all over on this issue, I think of it as my "worst case scenario"---but I guess asking about that bearing is dicking everyone around; I'm not at that point yet. I was just dreading pulling the trans. So you're saying just move the swingarm up and down, watch for play on a straight edge? That sounds like a better check than jiggling it side to side to me. I still have to remove it and check it on a flat surface, I've been working on my tank and this is just a back burner issue. This thing does track straight though, no pull. The bearings all check out ok, but I haven't pulled the swingarm. I'm sure it's just bent.

are you sure your reference point is level? modern stock frames don't have any 'beauty' in them. the engineers dont care if they are crooked inbetween the head stock and the swing arm pivot. as long as those two are lined up its good.

If your sure your frame has a good even spot that is SUPPOSED to be level with your swing arm, then Id say it was more like a bushing or bearing in your swing arm that was messed up.

That's what I was wondering, is the swingarm SUPPOSED to be level with the frame? I'd say fuck yeah. if engineering were that sloppy, it would leave the moco looking like a cobbled together crooked piece of shit. Maybe they leave room for defects like this? whatever, either way it'll get fixed. BTW it tracks level from the seat back to the fender struts, I feel like it's a good reference. the jack the bike is sitting on warps your perception and I shouldn't have put it in the picture.

ibuiltmine
03-05-2013, 10:54 AM
I'm not jumping all over on this issue, I think of it as my "worst case scenario"---but I guess asking about that bearing is dicking everyone around; I'm not at that point yet. I was just dreading pulling the trans. So you're saying just move the swingarm up and down, watch for play on a straight edge? That sounds like a better check than jiggling it side to side to me. I still have to remove it and check it on a flat surface, I've been working on my tank and this is just a back burner issue. This thing does track straight though, no pull. The bearings all check out ok, but I haven't pulled the swingarm. I'm sure it's just bent.

That's what I was wondering, is the swingarm SUPPOSED to be level with the frame? I'd say fuck yeah. if engineering were that sloppy, it would leave the moco looking like a cobbled together crooked piece of shit. Maybe they leave room for defects like this? whatever, either way it'll get fixed. BTW it tracks level from the seat back to the fender struts, I feel like it's a good reference. the jack the bike is sitting on warps your perception and I shouldn't have put it in the picture.

Well, as I would see it the moco is a veryy image driven company. if something doesnt look right, like a frame line kinda clashes with a set of bags or soemthng, you know they would move the frame line. frame geometry is simple. on a swingarm bike, as long as the neck, swingarm pivot and axles are lined up, you can connect those points literally any way you like! Look at a ron finch bike. He is a builder that embraces this fact. I wount be surprised at all if they had to like...drop or raise one side of a swingarm to get a clearance for a couple smaller tooth sprocket, ot a wider tire, or an epa added catalatic converter or something, while trying to keep the overall 'look' of the bike very classic and tru to its roots. Harley is VERY good at that. but as soon as you start measuring frame rails and stuff, expecting everything to be plumb level and square beyond that 'look' they you might be disapointed.

scout41
03-05-2013, 1:17 PM
Yeah You're right, that's why I'd want to check axle level instead of top of swingarm. no guarantee it's gonna be right ont.

ibuiltmine
03-05-2013, 1:37 PM
Yeah You're right, that's why I'd want to check axle level instead of top of swingarm. no guarantee it's gonna be right ont.

I put new tires on my father in laws brand new Raider, my Friends 08 Stratoliner and my Dad's 06 Stratoliner in the last month or so. They have a cast aluminum swing arm kind of like a sport bike does. All three are exactly the same. The belt alignment is critical on these big belt driven bikes, but at Yamaha they cast in alignment lines. on my dads bike I marked the lines with sharpie, and put it all back together the way it was, then checked alignment from the axle to swingarm bolt and it was dead on. Same exact process on the other strat....

Well with the in laws raider, he had some mud and dirt on the swingarm that I didnt feel like cleaning off, so when I put the belt back on I used a belt tension gauge and a good ol FatMax tape measure to get it straight. When he came to get it he said oh yeah, he forgot that the lines are all wrong on his swing arm! So I cleaned it off and looked, and sure as shit the lines were off by a good 1/4 inch!! He said the dealership bought him a belt at less then 100 miles because of it, and then at his last service they had to buy him another belt because they aligned it to the marks again.

moral of the story is check your plumb level and square at the points that ARE plumb level and square, and on a bike that someone that is not you built....those points are the axles, swingarm pivot and neck.

scout41
03-06-2013, 2:55 PM
Yeah man, Let me know if I'm going crazy here but I'm going to get a reference by hanging the level from the rafters, balancing it in the air to level it, then drop it down onto the seat tubes to check.
I checked the axle level, it's off, and when I move the swingarm it changes. Does that mean my bearings are bad, or is it the swingarm? I couldn't remove the swing because I didn't have the right allen size. I've bought at least 3 sets over the past year too, you'd think I'd have it.

ibuiltmine
03-06-2013, 5:48 PM
Yeah man, Let me know if I'm going crazy here but I'm going to get a reference by hanging the level from the rafters, balancing it in the air to level it, then drop it down onto the seat tubes to check.
I checked the axle level, it's off, and when I move the swingarm it changes. Does that mean my bearings are bad, or is it the swingarm? I couldn't remove the swing because I didn't have the right allen size. I've bought at least 3 sets over the past year too, you'd think I'd have it.

yeah, somethings eccentric there!