PDA

View Full Version : help removing a dent from a thunderheader

marvintheminnow
02-17-2013, 7:17 PM
I have a quarter to half dollar size dent in my thunderheader id like to remove. I will be modifying it and having it re-chromed so Im not too concerned with the finish, other than it needs to end up in a condition that the chrome guy can make it look pretty.

The dent is about 4 inches back from where the 2 pipes intersect into one (shovelhead style)

I have read the water and freeze method but it looks like most of the guys doing that are motocross guys with smaller header sections. I do live in MN and I could fill it with water and leave it outside on my deck.

Im not very confident of this method working on a longer pipe like this.

What other methods will work to remove this dent?

purerockfury
02-17-2013, 8:38 PM
I have a quarter to half dollar size dent in my thunderheader id like to remove. I will be modifying it and having it re-chromed so Im not too concerned with the finish, other than it needs to end up in a condition that the chrome guy can make it look pretty.

The dent is about 4 inches back from where the 2 pipes intersect into one (shovelhead style)

I have read the water and freeze method but it looks like most of the guys doing that are motocross guys with smaller header sections. I do live in MN and I could fill it with water and leave it outside on my deck.

Im not very confident of this method working on a longer pipe like this.

What other methods will work to remove this dent?

give it a shot..

or cut it out and replace the dented section, grind smooth..

Bandersnatch
02-17-2013, 9:13 PM
Take a can of compressed air....hold it upside down and spray the dent.

Then take a heat gun to it.........if the dent isn't too bad it'll pop out pretty well.

Heads up......"duster" is behind the counter in the electronics aisle in walmart. You have to ask for it.

Heat gun is ten bucks at Harbor Freight......but you could try using a blow dryer.

GB
02-17-2013, 9:46 PM
Your chromer does used exhaust...?

I suspect you'll be powder coating after pulling out and welding up the dent.

2stroketim
02-18-2013, 12:13 PM
I've done the water/freezer method with 2 stroke pipes and it worked...

marvintheminnow
02-18-2013, 1:43 PM
Your chromer does used exhaust...?

I suspect you'll be powder coating after pulling out and welding up the dent.

it will be chrome

lowpunk
02-18-2013, 1:44 PM
I've never tried the freezing methods but you could always drill a hole 180deg from the dent and hammer it back out with punches and just weld the small access hole up when you're done. Or you can just cut out the dent like previously mention and welding a newer undented section.

marvintheminnow
02-18-2013, 1:45 PM
Take a can of compressed air....hold it upside down and spray the dent.

Then take a heat gun to it.........if the dent isn't too bad it'll pop out pretty well.

Heads up......"duster" is behind the counter in the electronics aisle in walmart. You have to ask for it.

Heat gun is ten bucks at Harbor Freight......but you could try using a blow dryer.

what do you mean "hold upside down"? hold the can upside down?

2stroketim
02-18-2013, 1:48 PM
Yep - the can, hold it up side down and spray

hogwild96
02-18-2013, 1:55 PM
Another method, drill a 1/4" hole on the opposite side of the dent and insert a wooden dowel through the hole and tap the dent out. Then weld up the hole.

Personally, I would try the water and freeze method first as I have seen it work before as well.

And if those pipes have a bunch of carbon in them, you will have to clean it out before chroming. Most chrome shops won't do pipes if they're used. I have heard of shops doing them but usually they won't.

Edit: Heck, just noticed lowpunk suggested the same thing a few posts earlier. Sorry bout that guys.

marvintheminnow
02-18-2013, 2:15 PM
how about a stud welder?