PDA

View Full Version : cb750 brake question

Brandon
02-18-2010, 3:41 PM
Alright cb guys...damn this jap crap. How do you ger the front brake caliper apart. I see the cotter pins on the one side, but im trying to get the caliper apart to clean it. Help

02-18-2010, 4:59 PM
There should be 2 bolts that go through the caliper, and thread into the non piston side, the cotter pin on the non piston side just holds the pad in that side.

Brandon
02-18-2010, 5:26 PM
There should be 2 bolts that go through the caliper, and thread into the non piston side, the cotter pin on the non piston side just holds the pad in that side.

Yep its the piston side thats kicking me in the marbles

02-18-2010, 7:56 PM
Are ya tryin to get the piston out? you should leave the brake line hooked up and pump the brakes, that'll push the piston out, there should be a plastic retainer ring in there, between the piston and the pad.

newoldskool89
02-18-2010, 8:58 PM
When I used to work on cbs I would tap the calipers with a plastic hammer sometimes they get frozen from sitting so long and just lock up. i don't know if that helps.

nico
02-18-2010, 9:12 PM
just blow compressed air in the brakeline hole
watch yer fingers

Brandon
02-18-2010, 9:33 PM
just blow compressed air in the brakeline hole
watch yer fingers

Yea i tried that with no luck. I sprayed it down good with p b blaster and will put the air to it again. I read on HC to pump grease from a gun into till it comes out. Guess that will be next if the air doesnt work

soca750
02-19-2010, 3:10 AM
502 has the right idea. thats how i do it.

swiffer
02-19-2010, 9:12 PM
I have also been through getting the piston out.Let it soak in the pk over night and then use your air compressor to blow it out but now here is the kicker.CAUTION point the piston into a plastic bucket because when it shoots out it will scare the hell out of you and also you don't want it to hit a concrete floor and dent the piston.Really it is like a cannon going off.80psi should do the trick but a little more if you need to.Good luck and dont give up it will come out.Let us know how it goes.

swiffer
02-19-2010, 9:17 PM
Also after it is out you will see a O ring in the cylinder that you should take out and clean and the groove it is in.It takes some doing to get it back in again but like the piston it will. It is remarkable how tough it is just to clean a brake cylinder if you are not used to it but well worth it .

MIKE47
02-20-2010, 10:37 AM
Brandon, as a last resort you can heat the piston up with a torch a bit to melt the old seal. I've had to do this a few times with old Jap calipers. Once it's hot you can grab it with channel locks or vise grips. I would suggest a new piston no matter what if it is that stuck. Chances are it is corroded where the seal sat for years and will not work properly anyway.

Brandon
02-20-2010, 12:04 PM
Brandon, as a last resort you can heat the piston up with a torch a bit to melt the old seal. I've had to do this a few times with old Jap calipers. Once it's hot you can grab it with channel locks or vise grips. I would suggest a new piston no matter what if it is that stuck. Chances are it is corroded where the seal sat for years and will not work properly anyway.

Yea the plan is a complete rebuild anyway. Regardless of what the cool guys think, i personally enjoy brakes that work.....Are you gona be in DC during Rollin thunder again this year? If so let me know i owe you a beer for the stickers...