PDA

View Full Version : Early XS650 front fork question - Drum Brake only

philbey
02-16-2010, 7:27 AM
Guys,

I went and looked at an XS650 for sale the other day, it was a 447 so fairly late model, but it had a complete XS650 front drum brake setup on it. As far as I can tell, it was definitely XS brake/wheek/trees but the actual fork bottoms looked odd.

Basically, they weren't cast aluminium like later model disc ones, these were fabricated units, steel tube with a welded ends, welded brake tabs etc and chrome plated. I've never seen one before, but can anyone confirm if that sounds right?

Cheers.

viz
02-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Is it a xs400 front end maybe? Maybe you can look up some pics of xs400 's and see if its that?

jamesgs4
02-16-2010, 2:46 PM
Guys,

I went and looked at an XS650 for sale the other day, it was a 447 so fairly late model, but it had a complete XS650 front drum brake setup on it. As far as I can tell, it was definitely XS brake/wheek/trees but the actual fork bottoms looked odd.

Basically, they weren't cast aluminium like later model disc ones, these were fabricated units, steel tube with a welded ends, welded brake tabs etc and chrome plated. I've never seen one before, but can anyone confirm if that sounds right?

Cheers.

Yes the early drum forks are steel, not aluminum.

philbey
02-16-2010, 5:39 PM
XS400, perhaps. Sounds like they're legit XS650 though.

Cheers guys.