PDA

View Full Version : Sticker B-Gone!

DaddysDevil666
02-16-2010, 6:52 AM
Hey guys…

This may be a really dumb question... but I’m a novice at this and I’ve always been told… it’s better to ask then to screw something up!

I'd like to remove the Honda decals on my tank. I want to keep the color, but I want the decals gone (think they're probably just under one or two coats of clear).

So, what’s the best way to lose the decals? I was thinking of wet sanding with a fine grit sand paper?

ridemore16
02-16-2010, 7:29 AM
I've used a heat gun to heat the clear and the decal lifted. I've done this on bicycle frames as well, both aluminum and steel so I can't imagine it not working on a tank.

wickedblockhead
02-16-2010, 7:51 AM
i have used some shit called goo be gone before with great success

DaddysDevil666
02-16-2010, 8:12 AM
So the decal isn't really under the clear then...? Sure does feel like it.

ridemore16
02-16-2010, 8:16 AM
the heat gun way works if the decal is under clearcoat. it heats up the clear and you can take a razor blade and pry up a corner of the decal.

DaddysDevil666
02-16-2010, 8:17 AM
the heat gun way works if the decal is under clearcoat. it heats up the clear and you can take a razor blade and pry up a corner of the decal.

Thanks ridemore! I appreciate it!

framus
02-16-2010, 8:18 AM
If it's under the clear, it will take mechanical means to remove. I just took a peeling water transfer decal off of a buddy's Triumph only to find a faded water transfer decal under some clearcoat underneith. Brilliant! What's the old saying about pissing into the wind?

EDIT: Hopefully what's under the decal is acceptable.

reverendpk9
02-16-2010, 8:59 AM
Get an astro wheel from snap on ataches to a drill and pulls everything without damaging the paint. I have used them for years to take logos and pins off cars, just have to go slow. They run about 10 bucks.

oldmansporty63
02-16-2010, 9:20 AM

i have used this method before and i know it works. when i bought a new bike, the dealer put on 5 stickers (here in canada we have english and french stickers) i was soooo pissed, but a little patience and a good heat gun and they were gone.

rockaphilly
02-16-2010, 9:23 AM
I haven't done it on a bike, but the heat gone has worked for me on cars.

rustrocket84
02-16-2010, 6:52 PM
I tried the heat with no luck on my harley. Sanded it down until the clear was gone, 600g wet/dry sandpaper and used a spray bottle with water to keep it moist. This was effective but I liked the flat look better so I just sprayed over evrything at the end.

Chris300s
02-16-2010, 7:06 PM
If a heat gun doesn't work try Goo Gone in the spray bottle, I think its the low VOC version. I used it to soak my reflectors and it softened the adhesive and didn't touch the paint.

Chris

DaddysDevil666
02-16-2010, 9:41 PM
Well... it's a 2006 Honda... So I'm assuming they didn't do THAT great of a job putting the shit on... so ultimately... it really shouldn't be that hard getting it off! (ya... that's what he said!) hahahahha

rustrocket84
02-16-2010, 9:55 PM
If you have to take the clear coat off to get to the sticker just sand it with your hand and take it off nice and slow and you shouldn't hurt the paint. But you have to take it off nice and slow like. And make it sexy too