PDA

View Full Version : Potential job near Bakersfield, CA

ironheadslim5
02-03-2013, 9:02 PM
So I might have an opportunity to move to Bakersfield from Chicago. I was wondering if anyone who either lives there or has spent some time there and around there could tell me how it is. I've heard a few different things. Was wondering about cost of living stuff, and proximity to the ocean, LA, other big cities, snowboarding mountains, just general info about it. I dont wanna move there and find out theres a high radiation level and its always raining or some weird shit like that. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Flippy02
02-03-2013, 9:06 PM
Um, Bkersfield is in the Central Valley, which sometimes get dust storms from the dry top soil, it's kinda white trashy if i had to call it something, lots of Oil jobs, seems to me like a small population up there, its abotu 2.5 hours from LA, and maybe about the same from the ocean. its not real exciting up there, but not terribly expensive to live

Jackfrost
02-03-2013, 10:29 PM
Bakersfield area is booming with oil jobs right now. It's kinda hot and dry. Lots of meth and trailer parks. Basically the opposite of Chicago in that you can ride 350+ days per year.

jeffo
02-03-2013, 10:55 PM
"you can ride 350+ days per year".

and that pretty much sums that up.

jorgun
02-03-2013, 11:01 PM
USed to be alot of lot lizards at the truck stops there!! Back in the 80's Don't know about now.

Jackfrost
02-03-2013, 11:11 PM
USed to be alot of lot lizards at the truck stops there!! Back in the 80's Don't know about now.

:clap for you: which is fine but you gotta make sure they aren't "tucking":eek:

jorgun
02-03-2013, 11:19 PM
:clap for you: which is fine but you gotta make sure they aren't "tucking":eek:

You got that right!!!

JMFNC
02-03-2013, 11:45 PM
Hardly rains, la, beaches, snow 2 or less hours away, Disneyland 2 1/2 hours away. Cost of living is rising. Housing is more than it should be. 700-850 for most 2 bedroom apartments, I don't know what 1 bedroom/studios go for. If you can pass a hair follicle test, you can probably get into the oilfields.

Here's who I rent through http://www.realtymanagement.com/

Born free is within easy riding distance. There's Shirley meadows about 45 minutes away that allows snowboarding. Mammoth is close enough to drive to.

Hope this helps, I can try to answer any other question.

Hardly rains but summer is hot as fuck and winters can get a blanket of thick tule fog that can be hazardous. Air quality sucks too. You can be in some mountain riding in 30 min

JMFNC
02-04-2013, 1:21 AM
Um, Bkersfield is in the Central Valley, which sometimes get dust storms from the dry top soil, it's kinda white trashy if i had to call it something, lots of Oil jobs, seems to me like a small population up there, its abotu 2.5 hours from LA, and maybe about the same from the ocean. its not real exciting up there, but not terribly expensive to live

If 350-400,000 is a small population. People have a tendency to imagine us as Taft or Coalinga but we're about 60 years past that