PDA

View Full Version : Made My own oil tank, now I have a question

lowlife32
02-03-2013, 2:22 PM
So being the tight ass I am, I fabbed my own oil tank (in hindsight I wouldve been better off just to buy one). I used an 1 1/4" npt coupling and a steel plug for the fill/cap. I just fired the bike up for the first time since teardown, I can hear the cap hissing after I shut the bike off. I didnt teflon the threads or thread in fully like I would If I was actually going to ride it. Should there be another vent or just screw the plug down tight and dont worry?

hellbilly1932
02-03-2013, 2:38 PM
the tank needs to be vented

lowlife32
02-03-2013, 2:41 PM
Where should it be vented? I have a boughten tank on the shelf, I dont see any vents on it? Unless the rubber dipstick lets it suck air around the seal?

tattoo2303
02-03-2013, 2:53 PM
You could always weld in a steel coupler on top and use one of those copper core tank vents

tattoo2303
02-03-2013, 2:59 PM
They're all over eBay
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/04/sa7y4u7u.jpg

hellbilly1932
02-03-2013, 7:04 PM
Most tanks have filler, feed, return, and a vent line.

Jackster
02-03-2013, 7:07 PM
Have any pics of how you built it, so we can see what you did?

xllance
02-04-2013, 5:08 AM
What bike are we talking here ? My Sportster's oil tank is not vented. I mean the tank itself is not vented anyway. There is a vent line from the engine to the tank. The entire system is vented through the engine's crancase vent. Make sure the vent line in the tank is above oil level and you should be ok. If you didn't plumb in a vent line then, well you have a problem !

CTNewman
02-04-2013, 8:11 AM
I have a boughten tank on the shelf

I know this is chopcult, not grammar cult, but I have no idea how anyone can either say, write, or otherwise think that is a real word.

ARBY
02-04-2013, 8:18 AM
I know this is chopcult, not grammar cult, but I have no idea how anyone can either say, write, or otherwise think that is a real word.

Actually it is a word.

bought·en (bôtn) Chiefly Northern U.S.
v.
A past participle of buy.
adj.
1. Commercially made; purchased, as opposed to homemade: boughten bread.
2. Artificial; false. Used of teeth.
Regional Note: American regional dialects allow freer adjectival use of certain past participles of verbs than does Standard English. Time-honored examples are boughten (chiefly Northern U.S.) and bought (chiefly Southern U.S.) to mean "purchased rather than homemade": a boughten dress, bought bread. The Northern form boughten (as in store boughten) features the participial ending -en, added to bought, the participial form, probably by analogy with more common participial adjectives such as frozen. Another development, analogous to homemade, is evident in bought-made, cited in DARE from a Texas informant.

CTNewman
02-04-2013, 8:23 AM
Lol. Right. I bet that dictionary also has ain't and irregardless. Anything that has "dialect" anywhere in the definition usually means that enough people used it incorrectly in one form that it is begrudgingly added to the dictionary.

I guess at least in this case it was used appropriately in-line with it's archaic derivation and not "I shouldn't have boughten that". Really gets my goat.

Anyway. Yes, you need a vent on your oil tank.

Stlmikie
02-04-2013, 8:52 AM
Is the cap hidden? If its hidden take a 1/64th bit and poke a hole through it.

cb550Matt
02-04-2013, 9:21 AM
Lol. Right. I bet that dictionary also has ain't and irregardless. Anything that has "dialect" anywhere in the definition usually means that enough people used it incorrectly in one form that it is begrudgingly added to the dictionary.

I guess at least in this case it was used appropriately in-line with it's archaic derivation and not "I shouldn't have boughten that". Really gets my goat.

Anyway. Yes, you need a vent on your oil tank.

I boughten stuffs all tha times. Lighten up some.

lowlife32
02-04-2013, 4:32 PM
Yeah I have a vent line going to the top of the tank. After lookign at bung kings kits, I think Im good to go. they use a threaded cap with an o ring. I just need to tighten mine down.

As for XnewmanX, what a fuck ass. Im sure that isnt a name in your dictionary. I usualy refrain from online bickering, but this time I couldnt resist.

systems
02-04-2013, 4:47 PM

Well, it looks like we got ourselves a prescriptivist here on the ol' Grammar Cult.

Brendden
02-04-2013, 5:28 PM
I"m gonna buy him a "Grammer Nahtsee" T-shirt.

JMFNC
02-04-2013, 9:09 PM
It's the Internet not a dissertation, people need to step away from the dictionary

bkrtrsh
02-04-2013, 9:31 PM
It's the Internet not a dissertation, people need to step away from the dictionary

Well, supposebly :rolleyes:

Sky
02-04-2013, 9:32 PM
I think if there's a build up of pressure in the tank that's a bad thing.
What bike are we talking about anyway?

cb550Matt
02-05-2013, 8:17 AM
I think sportsters are low pressure high volume oil systems and big twins are low volume and high pressure oiling systems.

I know you need room for the sportster system to froth the oil in the tank but I have no clue about brit tanks. Some of them seem pretty small in comparison to sporty and BT tanks.

my stock lunchbox ironhead tanks do not have a vent tube, nor does my aftermarket one by paugcho from the 70-80's

CTNewman
02-05-2013, 10:34 AM
Some oil tanks have vents built into the cap, or a crankcase breather is doing the job elsewhere in the system.

Well, it looks like we got ourselves a prescriptivist here on the ol' Grammar Cult.

I don't know how I've never heard of a word that so perfectly describes me. I never really understood why people are so unconcerned with speaking correctly. I welcome criticisms and corrections; I'm always looking to improve in anything.