PDA

View Full Version : 3D Paint

PeanutHead
01-31-2013, 9:09 AM
So my buddy has the idea to try and pull off doing a 3D paint job just for shits and giggles. Now it sounds cool as shit but to me it seems like way too much paint. He's talking about laying down a base coat or two, masking off a section, then spraying more (dunno how many more coats) of the same color, clearing over the whole thing, then sanding the whole thing smooth. Does this sound like a long ass process to anyone else? Without even trying it on a piece of scrap, I think it'll take 10+ coats of paint to pull this off.

junkyardxl
01-31-2013, 9:23 AM
We use to skim coat dolphin glaze our bondo and shape it. Don't know if that's what you meant, i could have read it wrong

vnygra
01-31-2013, 9:26 AM
The title is misleading. You should paint it like a 3d picture that you need glasses to see. With the blue and red blurry shit.

Jetblack
01-31-2013, 9:32 AM
Well, I think the hard part would be stop the already painted from being affected by the new paint, so finding some that is not reactionary on itself after dry would be a good idea. You are talking about 3D as in texture not optical illusion I take it. It would probably be easier to build up using some sort of paper or something easy to bend and cut to shape and stick with an adhesive for the effect then painting, instead of building up paint.

If you ever get a chance to see a Van Gogh stand to the side and look at it; the paint is built up so thick it actually is 3D like what I think you are talking about.

PeanutHead
01-31-2013, 10:19 AM
Jet- Yes and no. my buddy had said that the paint itself would be textured but once the clear coats go on, its smooth to the touch.

FlameThrowerCustoms
01-31-2013, 10:38 AM
In my humble opinion, you would need to spary the base, spray final catalyzed clearcoat over it, allow it to cure a bit, wet-sand the clearcoat, mask off the areas you dod not want "raised", spray those areas with a shit-ton of coats of paint (I believe that 20 coats woyld be needed to even removetely notice the height delta), then lay down several sets of 3/4/5 coats of clearcoat over everything with some cure time and wet-sanding between sets of clearcoat.... assuming the end goal is to bury it in clear.

And at the end of the day, I don't think you will get much of a 3D effect because the paint build-up will be REALLY modest... like mayb e a couple hundredths of an inch is all.

Sounds fascinating yet time-consuming, labor-intensive and gonna eat a shit-ton of materials....

www.flamethrowercustoms.blogspot.com
www.flamethrowercustoms.com

junkyardxl
01-31-2013, 10:49 AM
Gospel according to flamethrower

PeanutHead
01-31-2013, 10:49 AM
I had a feeling that it might end up turning out like that. I'm still gonna try it on a piece of scrap to see how bad it turns out. I may end up laying down some bondo and carving into that.

vnygra
01-31-2013, 12:21 PM
do something like this and ride around wearing the blue/ red 3d glasses
http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad250/vnygra/3dkitty.jpg

FlameThrowerCustoms
01-31-2013, 2:22 PM
do something like this and ride around wearing the blue/ red 3d glasses
http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad250/vnygra/3dkitty.jpg

Now THAT made me freakin' laugh!

www.flamethrowercustoms.blogspot.com
www.flamethrowercustoms.com

Bandersnatch
01-31-2013, 4:03 PM
I had a bunch of designs and stuff taped out on a tank.......and when I finally pulled all the tape off there was a definite difference in texture.......3d for sure.

But it looked like what it was.....paint built up in some spots and not as much in others.

But if you were talking like
A blue square overlapping a red square......and like both of them being raised up off the tank.........
That'd be very do-able.

Just mud up some body filler and sand/carve out the shapes.
Then paint each square whatever it ought be.

That what yer talkin bout?

some1else
01-31-2013, 5:34 PM
look up trompe-loleil not 3-D but it's as close as you are likely come to the depth or 3rd dimensional look you are trying to achieve

Jackster
01-31-2013, 6:49 PM
Paint some holographic shit!

CaviMike
01-31-2013, 7:22 PM
It's gonna look like shit. Ever see a window-sill in a really old house that's been painted 10 times? That's what the car will look like.