PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any pictures of how the front and rear axles install on a 73 Honda CB750

Sean
02-14-2010, 8:57 PM
I'm in the process of putting a set of Comstar rims from a 84 Honda CB400 on my old CB750 and not only do I have to make a few mods to make the swap work, I can't remember where exactly the spacers go on the axles and I can't find any manuals online that offer much help. This was the best way for me to go since my old wire rims were way beyond repair and I wanted the option to run tubeless tires since a flat could be easily repaired roadside. Thanks for any help.

jpswino
02-14-2010, 9:01 PM
Are the axles the same size? Are the hubs the same width? Comstars have different spacers and set up different than spokers.

Are you using the cb750 axles in the late model comstars? Your trees may not have the correct spread for those wheels. Give me more imfo and I'll help you.

Sean
02-14-2010, 9:10 PM
All the bike shop I got the wheels from said my old axles will work fine. The hubs measured out identical to the old and the rear wheel I'm using I'm keeping the drive gear from the wire wheel so I'm going to have to make a filler and shim set up for the retaining clip to work. On the front I'm going to have to shim the rotor or caliper to make the brake componets line up.

jpswino
02-14-2010, 9:41 PM
I guess I am unsure what you are asking then? On the brake side of the comstar there is a spacer that slides halfway into the hub and sticks out halfway. Then the caliper arm forms a second spacer sliding over the axle as well. On the sprocket side there is a spacer that looks like a spool.

Sean
02-15-2010, 10:12 AM
That's exactly what I was needing to know, thanks man.

HWC
02-15-2010, 10:59 AM
funny how folks are diggin the comstars now...
ive taken a shit load of um to scrap over the years..lol

jpswino
02-15-2010, 8:21 PM
Easy and affordable mags that can be cleaned up and powder coated making for some cool wheels for sure. Since the fat tire phase has settled down we are back to normal widths that ride and turn well.