PDA

View Full Version : The Alaska Dream

eliwolf6
02-14-2010, 4:21 PM
so, i was born and raised in alaska before i migrated down to the wonderful san diego area, just wondering if anybody else is from there or has been there...

me and a couple guys are planning a future ride from san diego, ca to nikiski, ak and making a documentary about it, all on rigid homebuilts..

if your interested in this little 3,389 mi cruise, hit me up,, it's probably a year or two out, but it would be awesome.

we need to find some likeminded individuals to camp out with, crash on floors, drink pbr with etc..
so if your along the route and want company for a night,, also....hit me up

Revelator
02-14-2010, 5:41 PM
I'd be down for that in 2011. I have been thinking of a trip up there myself.
this year I'm riding to the east coast & back,
I want to sample some of that killer ass fishin up there,

Boston
02-14-2010, 5:57 PM
I'm living in Seattle at the moment. My wife is from Juneau, Alaska by way of her tiny village of Kake, Ak. where she was born & raised. She's finishing up her PhD here in Seattle and our anticipated return to Juneau is the Spring of 2011. ...BUT...even IF that doesn't happen exactly in the Spring of 2011 but perhaps a bit later that same year...

I'M GOING WITH YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I'm still in Seattle, you guys can throw a bed roll out on my living room floor and eat some damn fine Tlingit Indian food to get you in the mood of Alaska...yup, RIGHT HERE! My wife cooks her Native food like nobody I ever met!

I'm riding a '58 custom but am building 2 more rigids, ONE is surely going to be on the road by summer 2011. I've got a '50sumpin' FL rigid and putting togethet a '36/40 bastard Knuck in a '54 straightleg.

I've driven North to Prince Rupert once, it's about 1100 miles North of Seattle. But you can obviously drive completely north to Alaska arriving in Skagway. From Skagway, you can drive North ...I think it takes you to Tok, from there...Anchorage OR FAirbanks. Or you can take a short ferry from Skagway to Haines and drive to Tok (Better roads and better scenery!)..and then onto Anchorage or Fairbanks.

Anyway you slice it or dice it...I'M FUCKING GOING ON THIS TRIP!!!!!!

Keep me in the loop...I'm Jim Franco outta' Seattle at the moment and you can always contact me at: jfranco@ureach.com.

Holy shit...my dream ride!!!!!

"Boston"

volksjunky
02-14-2010, 6:04 PM
Im already here! I always wanted to get some guys and do this ride in reverse and hit up some cool shows etc. than come back up . If you need help coordinating anything from this end let me know. You cant beat the summer rides up here with 20 plus hours of daylight....

Boston
02-14-2010, 6:12 PM
Gotta' warn you all...you CANNOT pack a pistol in Canada...don't EVEN TRY! Those canucks will take your gun and throw your ass in jail. Just some words to the wise.....;) A rifle, however, strapped to the front forks, is a horse of a different color!

eliwolf6
02-14-2010, 6:22 PM
good to know about that pistol thing,, just kinda thought i'd pack one along, might have to incorporate a rifle into a sissy bar.. haha

Boston
02-14-2010, 6:27 PM
That will work...OR...look into one of those WLA Army 45 fork mounted rifle racks.

My nightmare is to round a corner up North, hit an F'ing Brown bear or Moose, scramble to collect my bearings as I get off the ground and have to shoot that man-killer...a rifle would would come in real handy right about that time!

Hunted up there during my years...neither one of them is friendly when encountered...that's no shit!

Revelator
02-14-2010, 10:47 PM
or you could be politically correct & strap on fucking bear spray on your sissy bar, fuck that
I like the rifle on the forks idea. my harmon front end would make a nice mount too. something like a
ruger .375 Alaskan would be nice.
does canadian law require the ammo to be locked up in a box in the saddlebag?
If I meet up with any Grizz, I damn sure want to be ready, no what I mean.

Danisdead
02-15-2010, 12:29 AM
Good Stuff,

I did the trip from Juneau to Chicago and back on a 1979 CX 500. Best trip of my life.
keep me informed for sure. Over 11,000 miles.

rustrocket84
02-15-2010, 12:43 AM
Holy shit this sounds great. I do an annual long trip to see my parents in Minnesota from SoCal. I missed a couple years with my first kid, and probably will miss this year since my next one is coming in april. But going to Alaska is a once in a lifetime motorcycle trip. I'm in. All I'll need is dates by Halloween or so the year before.

sledmotorsrule
02-15-2010, 1:59 PM
i should be on the left coast by the time you guys set sail. why not step it up just a smidge and go from TJ? 3 countries on one trip.

dwightlightnin
08-26-2010, 10:56 AM
i LIVE HERE in wankorage so get a m essage before you head out.And if your a felon dont even bother going to the canada border and if your a misdeamener you will have to pay for a 3 day pass an there gunna want to count your cash to make sure you have enough to get through there country and credit cards arent good enough.

samwe
08-26-2010, 2:37 PM
I am in Eagle River and ride a rigid shovel.
But I just ride to work and home, sometimes to Dwight's house to drink his beer.
So let us know if you come up.

EnglandStGarage
08-26-2010, 4:39 PM
went to alaska when i was a kid. awesome place. i wanna go!

BeerWolf
08-27-2010, 9:33 PM
I used to live three blocks from the Mile 0 of the Alaska highway in Dawson Creek BC, now I live about an hour away but still on the Alaska highway if I am not mistaken, I have heard it's an awesome trip, but I mostly see the BMW tour guys. A lot of American dudes ride through all summer.

carl609
08-28-2010, 2:31 AM
I'm living in Seattle at the moment.
"Boston"

I am just a few miles north of Seattle in Mountlake Terrace. Where are you at?

My place is open as a stopover if Boston isnt still living here. Would love to go, but I am not allowed in Canada.

respek
08-28-2010, 5:01 AM
Id love to do this run. I however have been told that DUI's will keep your ass out of Canada as well.

BullDog
08-28-2010, 7:54 AM
Good grief, if you really want to get bored to death check out this link about bringing firearms into good ol' Canada.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/visit-visite-eng.htm

Boston
08-28-2010, 8:37 AM
I am just a few miles north of Seattle in Mountlake Terrace. Where are you at?

My place is open as a stopover if Boston isnt still living here. Would love to go, but I am not allowed in Canada.

I'm in Sammamish. You riding? I'll be doing the Cascade Loop next weekend...

Jim "Boston"

pineapplepower
08-28-2010, 9:26 AM
Keep the info coming on this ride, my ears perked up on the thought of riding through to alaska.

carl609
08-28-2010, 10:54 AM
I'm in Sammamish. You riding? I'll be doing the Cascade Loop next weekend...

Jim "Boston"

Not riding at the moment, crashed the bike and broke my hand. When I get back on the road we should go for a ride for sure, and hook up with pinneapplepower, he is in south seattle I think. Have fun

Boston
08-28-2010, 12:06 PM
Not riding at the moment, crashed the bike and broke my hand. When I get back on the road we should go for a ride for sure, and hook up with pinneapplepower, he is in south seattle I think. Have fun

Just got a message from pineapplepower...hopefully he might that trip with me!

Jim "Boston"

Boston
08-28-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm moving back to Alaska next May at the LATEST! Been here in Seattle while the little lady finishes her PhD...man am I goin' to be kissin' ass on that sweetheart! She's about to become my newest Social Security benefits!!!

Anyway, bought land in Juneau this past winter, been going up and clearing that land since...hoping to build starting next June. SO.....ANYBODY heading up will be welcome to crash on my "resort"!

Boston

MatthewOlsen
08-28-2010, 12:28 PM
my daddy and I plus some of our friends are going next year from south dakota. All of the bikes except one are knuckleheads. The other bike is an IND**N, which is really lame, but the guy that owns it is super cool. We will ride up there, and probably take the ferry home, then ride back to the 605 from washington. Good luck on your trip and let me know how it goes.

eliwolf6
08-28-2010, 12:35 PM
ha, thanks for the interest fellas.. I want to do this ride so bad i can taste it. Flew up there last month and rode around on my dads scoot for a couple days, it was amazing.. still trying to figure out the where and whens of this whole deal, but hopefully it happens sooner than later..
here's a couple pics from that trip last monthhttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/_FrK8pOoehIA/TFcnGqkAT0I/AAAAAAAAArY/7-wjMvkBgaI/s640/100_1518.JPG
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_FrK8pOoehIA/TFcmy1NnawI/AAAAAAAAAqQ/yfHGgTNaeRQ/s320/100_1396.JPG
more over at Cheapskate cycles (http://www.cheapskatecycles.blogspot.com)

Boston
08-28-2010, 12:39 PM
my daddy and I plus some of our friends are going next year from south dakota. All of the bikes except one are knuckleheads. The other bike is an IND**N, which is really lame, but the guy that owns it is super cool. We will ride up there, and probably take the ferry home, then ride back to the 605 from washington. Good luck on your trip and let me know how it goes.

Matt, I know you don't remember we talked about that, I also had a few words with your Dad about it. I'll be there in June of 2011...you all will be more than welcome to park on my piece of heaven in Juneau. I can also give you all some hints on where to go, how to get there and most importantly...WHERE TO EAT while you guys are there. Keep in touch. It's NEVER a bad thing to have somebody's help when you doing trips like this. You are going to have a great time!

Jim "Boston"

dwightlightnin
09-06-2010, 10:46 AM
Juneau's great i got off the ferry there when the people on the ferry told me they wouldnt let me through into candas borders!Stayed in juneau for 3 weeks and had a job and a place to live by the next morning after getting there the night before.The women are easy there too!

Boston
09-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Juneau's great i got off the ferry there when the people on the ferry told me they wouldnt let me through into candas borders!Stayed in juneau for 3 weeks and had a job and a place to live by the next morning after getting there the night before.The women are easy there too!

Met mine in Boston while she was in college...that very fact shocked the shit outta' me! It was so good I married her and let me take home!

Boston

stevanjohnson
09-06-2010, 1:04 PM
eli, im in. the rest of the werewolves rollin?! hopefully ill have a rigid sporty built by then, so i can fit in. haha peter's old cb750 has been treating me right too though.

elTee
09-06-2010, 3:43 PM
Spent 6 weeks up there last summer for work in Anchorage...Incredible place, the land, the people, totally blew my mind. Amazed at the amount of bikes I saw considering the short riding season. I could live there but being from So Cal, I dont think im man enough to handle the winters!!!

dwightlightnin
09-07-2010, 9:49 PM
Spent 6 weeks up there last summer for work in Anchorage...Incredible place, the land, the people, totally blew my mind. Amazed at the amount of bikes I saw considering the short riding season. I could live there but being from So Cal, I dont think im man enough to handle the winters!!!

Im from san jose and moved here in 2000 from santa cruz and the winters arent bad at all,nice and dry and my knees dont ache anymore.If i go down to see my family down there i cant wait to get back cause of the moisture in the air there.

eliwolf6
09-07-2010, 10:20 PM
eli, im in. the rest of the werewolves rollin?! hopefully ill have a rigid sporty built by then, so i can fit in. haha peter's old cb750 has been treating me right too though.

im sure a couple of the ww will roll, and that cb is sweet, stoked that somebody from around picked it up.

i hopefully will have a new toy in the works soon, gotta sell the Couch (http://cheapskatecycles.blogspot.com/2010/08/couch-is-for-sale.html) first though.

choppercharlie
09-08-2010, 5:17 PM
Dude, I would be down for this ride next summer, going to Alaska is on the top of my dream ride list, I will keep my eyes on this thread to see how it comes together.

jamesgs4
09-08-2010, 7:18 PM
Id love to do this run. I however have been told that DUI's will keep your ass out of Canada as well.

You can apply for a pardon from canada to get in. just takes some $$ and time i heard.

Sick1200
09-16-2010, 3:21 PM
I'd like to go......as long as you guys don't make fun of me for having suspension. We all know how hardcore the rigid crew is haha.

Boston
09-16-2010, 10:30 PM
I'd like to go......as long as you guys don't make fun of me for having suspension. We all know how hardcore the rigid crew is haha.

I'm not riding rigid now! Sold all my rigid shit over the past couple weeks!

I'm on my old '58 drop seat swingarm'd, springer Panhead...but then again I'm old...what's YOUR excuse ;)

Boston

samwe
09-18-2010, 7:36 PM

We all ride rigid here. Breakup to freeze up.
I do at least...

Sawbones
09-18-2010, 7:43 PM
I just vacationed in Alaska for 10 days. I met a bunch of cool bikers up there. They were few but proud. It is a dream of mine to live up there as well.