PDA

View Full Version : a HORTON?

dazegoneby
01-16-2013, 7:58 AM
seen this bike ,thought all you race types would dig it,fine blend of brit and yankee,yeah old iron

bbillington
01-16-2013, 8:13 AM
two front heads or is it two front cylinders? I can't tell from the little pics. Pretty damn slick bike! I bet it's a blast.

alkay191
01-16-2013, 9:32 AM
I appreciate the craftsmanship, but Ironhead is hardly a performance improvement :rolleyes:

JohnnyBGoode
01-16-2013, 9:37 AM
Put some 2-1's on an Ironhead, you'll notice a very nice improvement.

alkay191
01-16-2013, 9:43 AM
Put some 2-1's on an Ironhead, you'll notice a very nice improvement.

over a Norton twin? no way.

why not just put in a XR750 or even a well built Evo motor ?
I don't dislike Ironheads, but admit that there are better choices.

ccgirl
01-16-2013, 12:48 PM
Looks like two front heads to me . It is nice to see people cross build bikes . I do agree a Norton twin is way more motor then a Iron head but seeing a norton in a norton frame is not that uncommon . I think this thing is cool !

TimB1640
01-16-2013, 1:31 PM
seen this bike ,thought all you race types would dig it,fine blend of brit and yankee,yeah old iron

i would like to know more about that open primary set up! do you have any more close up pictures of it?

Bdehlin
01-16-2013, 1:55 PM
Bike looks fun, but I think it would perform better with the original motor in there.

JohnnyBGoode
01-16-2013, 5:39 PM
over a Norton twin? no way.

why not just put in a XR750 or even a well built Evo motor ?
I don't dislike Ironheads, but admit that there are better choices.

I've ridden plenty of evos, and if you like a bike that doesn't vibrate much and doesn't excite your soul, by all means, buy an evo :)

Shit man, my Ironhead runs like a bat outta hell, screams and pulls you back into your seat, love that old bitch! Won't catch me ownin an evo, I test ride them workin, sure the 1200s may be faster but it feels like a loud honda.

Ride what ya want, keep knockin old Iron so we who enjoy them can get'em cheap.

They're pieces of crap that always break down, you don't want one.

ElChux81
01-17-2013, 3:05 PM
Ditto...

Brendden
01-17-2013, 3:47 PM

Agreed ;)

alkay191
01-17-2013, 5:15 PM
I've ridden plenty of evos, and if you like a bike that doesn't vibrate much and doesn't excite your soul, by all means, buy an evo :)

Shit man, my Ironhead runs like a bat outta hell, screams and pulls you back into your seat, love that old bitch! Won't catch me ownin an evo, I test ride them workin, sure the 1200s may be faster but it feels like a loud honda.

Ride what ya want, keep knockin old Iron so we who enjoy them can get'em cheap.

you're barking up a wrong tree. I love and ride old iron as well as new. I'm just not delusional and know that if you're looking for performance you can get it easier out of an evo than ironhead.

the point of stuffing different motors into a Norton Featherbed frame was performance. Cafe racers got more power out of Triumph mill than a Norton and got better handling with the Featherbed frame. What was the point of getting a slower and less reliable motor?

JohnnyBGoode
01-17-2013, 5:23 PM
Because it's pretty ;D

I'm tellin you, put a 22T sprocket on with a real nice 2-1 pipe, you got somethin that'll move. These bikes were EVERYTHING bikes of their time, hill climbs, flat tracks, stump pullers, yadda yadda yadda.

Hooligan80
01-17-2013, 5:30 PM
you're barking up a wrong tree. I love and ride old iron as well as new. I'm just not delusional and know that if you're looking for performance you can get it easier out of an evo than ironhead.

the point of stuffing different motors into a Norton Featherbed frame was performance. Cafe racers got more power out of Triumph mill than a Norton and got better handling with the Featherbed frame. What was the point of getting a slower and less reliable motor?

I think all the drag racers that ran old Ironheads would beg to differ..

TimB1640
01-17-2013, 8:37 PM
i know a shop owner says he has an ironhead that he used to drag race that has 150hp. i personally have never seen it in person but i have seen pictures. not that that prove that it's true just saying i've seen pictures in his shop

alkay191
01-18-2013, 12:28 AM
clearly, the ironhead motor is performance giant .... :rolleyes:

harley had to come up with xr750 because the ironhead was just too fast.
then they just had to build an evo because the ironheads just wouldn't wear out ... :killerjob:

ya know, I really love my Shovelhead, but I'm not about to pluck the twin cam out of the Dyna and slide the Shovelhead in.

JohnnyBGoode
01-18-2013, 8:56 AM
The XR750 was made to dominate the flat tracking circuit, and it did just that.

They built the evo because it was more cost effective to their wallets, much cheaper to build a whole engine with blocky cylinders all cut from one block of aluminum than bringing in some big beautiful round cast iron jugs ;P

I won't lie, I'd like a 5 speed, or even a 6.

mrcoffee
01-18-2013, 3:01 PM
Gotta admit, I'm wondering why there are so many Norleys out there if it's such a bad idea...

-m

mrcoffee
01-18-2013, 3:02 PM
Gotta admit, I'm wondering why there are so many Norleys out there if it's such a bad idea...

-m

alkay191
01-18-2013, 3:40 PM
I wonder the same about crack whores, but I've never seen a Norley my 30+ years of riding ...

what makes it a good idea?

bobbarooski
01-18-2013, 3:42 PM
what is a Norley?

Brendden
01-18-2013, 4:40 PM
What if, he had a Norton frame, but no motor, and an old ironhead motor just chilling in his garage, and was out there bullshitting around and was like hey what if.

Nosebleed
01-18-2013, 4:45 PM
Guys back in the day over in Europe and the UK used to do this all the time, swap motors out into different frames although most of the time it was into a Norton "featherbed" frame. It was the most famous of the time and was considered to be a marvel of engineering for performance by the standards of the day. People would put a Triumph motor into a Norton frame, blammo, it's a "TriTon." Put a Harley motor in there, bang, a "Norley."

Personally though, if I did it, I would call mine a "Norumph." Kinda sounds like dropping a large rock into a lake...Norumph!

junkyardxl
01-27-2013, 11:32 PM
guy on craigslist list claims to have built a nice model of this. says hes looking for it after building it in the 80s. hes got some pics if anyone cares to look.