PDA

View Full Version : primary drive lock

emmure
01-05-2013, 7:05 PM
i have need to remove my clutch and shit and i dont have a primary drive lock tool does anyone know of something to do the same job as the tool

TimB1640
01-06-2013, 11:59 AM
what kind of motor ? when i did my sporty i took a piece of 1/8" thick steel that was big enough to bind between the front sprocket and the clutch and when i loosened the nut it created enough pressure to bind and lock it so that i could loosen the nut

emmure
01-06-2013, 12:27 PM
what kind of motor ? when i did my sporty i took a piece of 1/8" thick steel that was big enough to bind between the front sprocket and the clutch and when i loosened the nut it created enough pressure to bind and lock it so that i could loosen the nut

sportster..ive heard people use the bar stock or a piece of hard wood

jherr
01-06-2013, 12:51 PM
Primary drive lock tool? I made on out of a $3 cutting board cut up and drywall screws together.

emmure
01-06-2013, 2:25 PM
Primary drive lock tool? I made on out of a $3 cutting board cut up and drywall screws together.

i just used the left over bar stock i had workd like a charm fucking nut was on there good

sonny
01-06-2013, 2:47 PM
i use a red rag rolled up and stuffed into chain and clutch basket , worked for past 25 years :D

BrokenSprocketGarage
01-06-2013, 4:45 PM
ARE WE TO GUESS WHAT MOTORCYCLE YOU HAVE?

If you are working on a sportster, and have an 1/2" impact gun you don't need to lock the primary for disassembly. Take the clutch hub nut off first. Then the crank sprocket nut. You might need to heat the crank nut to get it off.
For final assembly and torquing you WILL need to wedge something in there. Hard woods, old primary tensioner shoe, or buy the right tool for the job!
How are you going to disassemble the clutch? That too requires a special spring compressor tool.

Of you have a Honda none of my advice will work.

emmure
01-06-2013, 5:03 PM
ARE WE TO GUESS WHAT MOTORCYCLE YOU HAVE?

If you are working on a sportster, and have an 1/2" impact gun you don't need to lock the primary for disassembly. Take the clutch hub nut off first. Then the crank sprocket nut. You might need to heat the crank nut to get it off.
For final assembly and torquing you WILL need to wedge something in there. Hard woods, old primary tensioner shoe, or buy the right tool for the job!
How are you going to disassemble the clutch? That too requires a special spring compressor tool.

Of you have a Honda none of my advice will work.

if u had read a couple posts up i said i have a sportster and u kinda sounded like a dick

BrokenSprocketGarage
01-06-2013, 5:28 PM
Yeah, I guess I did

McGrizzle
01-06-2013, 7:53 PM
If it turns out you can't find anything that works for you, I use a 1/2" impact gun. I remember seeing a post on here where a fella used a section of chain somehow (I wish I remembered exactly) but he made a tool out of that section.

Shacknasty
01-06-2013, 8:20 PM
You can use rubber doorstops to wedge in the chain/sprocket. Hell, I've used the rope in the cylinder trick several times to lock up the motor, that's old school fer sure. Ya gotta make sure yer on a compression stroke so ya don't bend a valve and leave the end of the rope stickin' outta the plug hole!

Use a jam bar first - it's the easiest way...

emmure
01-06-2013, 8:34 PM
already done have been for hours lol

flourman
01-07-2013, 9:50 AM
hammer handle has worked for me.

Shacknasty
01-08-2013, 8:17 PM
So how did ya get 'er dun? Don't forget, the answers given and the resolution of the problem isn't just for you...it's also for anyone that uses the search function and wants a fix for their motorsickle. So c'mon, emmure, give up the info for the edification of the masses...