PDA

View Full Version : I just bought this lathe. Good deal?

n8ball
01-05-2013, 11:47 AM
My wife was at an estate auction and called me about this south bend lathe. Bought it over the phone for $1100. Good deal?
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc184/n8_ball707/55D806BB-orig.jpg

purerockfury
01-05-2013, 12:10 PM
i've been looking at them on craigslist and seen a lot of them ranging from $500 to 1500, i'm no expert but depending on what tooling is in that cabinet it could be a "Fair" price...

livingdeadmc
01-05-2013, 12:14 PM
Not awful depending on its working condition and what it includes. I bought my Logan 825 for about 1/4th that.. But I see these pop up on CL in Michigan for 700-1000.

But fuck it... Make shit and sell it. It'll pay for itself in no time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

tattoo2303
01-05-2013, 12:23 PM
if i had the space and money id be pumped about it, besides if ya already bought it no sense turning a positive into a negative

70schop
01-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Horrible deal, terrible, send it to me and I'll dispose of it for you! From what I've seen in my area depending on working condition etc I'd say its fair

dirtbag
01-05-2013, 12:40 PM
Really depends on where you are,up here in pickup truck country,that would be a great buy,anyway dosent really matter as now you have a lathe,a few hundred or thousand dollars if its doable is well worth spending to have a lathe,your the man,well maybe not but you do have a lathe..

n8ball
01-05-2013, 12:55 PM
You guys are right, I already bought it. F'it. Im stoked about it. Now just gotta find a way to get it home. Any good sites to learn how to use it? I know NOTHING bout lathes. I just know that they can be handy once you learn how to use it.

livingdeadmc
01-05-2013, 1:00 PM
You guys are right, I already bought it. F'it. Im stoked about it. Now just gotta find a way to get it home. Any good sites to learn how to use it? I know NOTHING bout lathes. I just know that they can be handy once you learn how to use it.

Price don't matter on something like this lol. You're gonna love having one.... I couldn’t live without mine.

Also if you need any bits to get you up and running let me know I'll ship you some. I've got hundreds lol

purerockfury
01-05-2013, 1:01 PM

youtube has a shit ton of video's, i'm sure there's forums as well...one thing i know for sure is be fucking careful, that shit can fuck you up in a min, watch your sleeves too

FlameThrowerCustoms
01-05-2013, 1:06 PM
Looks like a decent deal from here. What did you get for tooling? I have a similar vintage South Bend 10L (passed to me from my Dad) and it's great to have for making anything.

Good luck and be careful....

www.flamethrowercustoms.blogspot.com
www.flamethrowercustoms.com

aaronc
01-05-2013, 1:06 PM
I don't see a lead screw, but I still woulda bought it for a grand if the ways were good and the headstock seemed pretty tight.

Revelator
01-05-2013, 1:32 PM
May not have been the best deal, But if it is in good shape & you end up using the hell out
of it, Then it is money well spent, & pat your self on the back for buying a piece of American history,
Now go make something.

n8ball
01-05-2013, 2:15 PM
Once again i know nothing about this lathe or what all it comes with. I had VERY little time to look at it and had to go to work so i called my ol'lady to go bid on it at this auction. All i know is that it works but the guy had to be put in a nursing home so they auctioned his shit off. Pretty cool dude judging by his garage. He had a ol flathead h-d and frame layin out back. Lots a cool motorcycle parts. Full on motorcycle shop.

tattoo2303
01-05-2013, 2:20 PM
i frequently hear myself repeating in my head something i learned in tech school, speed and feed, dont go slamming or trying to chew off to much meterial at once and youll get the hang of it as you go. ask questions here and youll learn all sorts of at home tricks im sure

DetroitSpeedMetal
01-05-2013, 3:40 PM
If it is single phase then you done real good. A good old fashioned lathe is always a good purchase. I have a 3-phase and it has been a pain in the ass to get wired because I am in a single phase building. That lathe would be 4 or 5 grand new and that one already has tooling and a soul. Very good deal I say.

FootLoose
01-05-2013, 3:54 PM
Have a look here, biggest lathe archive in the world, history, parts etc en lot's of how to....
http://www.lathes.co.uk/
There'a a Southbend section with full history, user groups, accessories, how to date it, etc

South Bend's a quality machine, one of the best, thousands of copies/clones out there, Boxford etc...
Good usable size too by the looks of it. You'll love having it, I couldn't miss mine for a day....
And I do see a lead screw, it's backgeared, screwcutting gearbox, power cross feed and it appears to have a thread dial indicator as well hiding behind the price tag. Not sure if it's able to cut metric threads....

Indeed the tools make the machine, but this is a fine start if the ways and headstock are ok.
All the rest is easily rebuildable or aquired. Even if it's got some faults, you'll learn to work with those.
You might not have realised but it's also a milling machine, it's just lying on it's side....
Rule no.1: NEVER leave the chuck key sitting in the chuck!!!

Go with what people here said, be VERY careful and not just at first!
A lathe does not take prisoners!

LDNCLR
01-05-2013, 3:58 PM
no gloves and no long sleeves!!

ugotbit
01-05-2013, 4:01 PM
Kick ass!

I want me a lathe sooooo bad. Don't even know what I'd do with it, just know I NEED it.

justafurnaceman
01-05-2013, 4:01 PM
Fair price for it. Congrats on your purchase!

I just bought a mill off the local machinist and he's letting me keep it in his shop while I learn to use it better. I'm hoping to pick up a lathe this spring.

n8ball
01-05-2013, 4:41 PM
Thanks for all the help already, You guys got me feeling WAY better about emptying my bank account for this thing. Im pumped. One thin i do know about it that it is 110, so i get to just plug and play. As soon as i can get it home i'll post more pics and what all it has with it so you guys can help me know what the hell im lookin at

sickboi55
01-05-2013, 10:09 PM
http://techtv.mit.edu/videos/142-machine-shop-1

Stadger
01-06-2013, 7:27 PM
I spent half that on a Chinese made POS mini-lathe from Harbor Freight. No matter what you have there will always be "experts" to tell you that they know better than you do. Your wife loves you enough to buy you an American-made industrial unit that you can repair and use for years. You are blessed, son.

n8ball
01-07-2013, 8:11 AM
I get to pick it up tomorrow! Its goin to be interesting trying to move it around. Anyone know bout how much this weighs?

Yeah sh'es a pretty badass wife. She stood out in the cold (25*) at this auction for 4 hours and couldn't feel her toes. Didnt complain much at all.

memphisrain
01-07-2013, 9:03 AM
http://techtv.mit.edu/videos/142-machine-shop-1

Thanks, those are great for a newbie like myself!

As for moving, I just bought a Standard-Modern that looks to be similar in size to that one. It's ~1250 lbs.

THEY ARE HEAVY BITCHES!

I used an engine hoist to pick up the lathe after separating it from the cabinet, and put it in the back of my pickup, then loaded the cabinet separately.

n8ball
01-09-2013, 10:32 AM
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc184/n8_ball707/8F0931F7-orig.jpg
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc184/n8_ball707/65E0EAA1-orig.jpg
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc184/n8_ball707/67CE0D8C-orig.jpg
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc184/n8_ball707/3DDF8AB4-orig.jpg

CaviMike
01-09-2013, 12:56 PM
You never realize how much you need a lathe until you don't have one. Even a beat to shit one will get the job done.

dirtbag
01-09-2013, 1:36 PM
Looks like your all set, do some cleaning, and it looks like you got enough to start turning shit,sweet,i think its a good deal.