PDA

View Full Version : Removing factory paint

Badassjamie
01-03-2013, 3:46 PM
Got a HD dyna tank in the gayest cobalt blue from 2007. Want to get rid of the what looks like 5 deep coats of clear; or whetever they use to make it so pretty, and remove it down to the wood.

I've used an aircraft paint stripper before and it's messy, and I,ve just sanded old tanks to shit to remove paint. But this is gonna be more work.

WHAT'S YOUR BEST WAY FOR REMOVING NEW PAINT?

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=33820&stc=1&d=1357249536

inkedmonkey
01-03-2013, 3:58 PM
I like the way she's painted as is!

Stlmikie
01-03-2013, 4:32 PM
Poly-carbide abrasive wheel? On an angle grinder.

cb550Matt
01-03-2013, 4:34 PM
foaming aircraft stripper, do it outside shit is toxic .. wear goggles and gloves it will burn your skin. Let it sit for an hour or so wipe down and spray again .. done deal

edit

yeah it is messy but it works without the work of a grinding wheel.

Jeffy
01-03-2013, 4:35 PM
Yep id ride her.looking just like that! Hahaha
Yeh that factory paint is a bitch to get off! Grinder with a flap wheel after.some scraping to get through a few.layers. Thats how I did it at least.

Bandersnatch
01-03-2013, 4:55 PM
I used that all natural orange stuff.
Nontoxic, no fumes.
Paint crinkled up and scraped off easy peasy.

They also sell a paint/ rust stripping wheel that attaches to a drill.
Works pretty fast......but scuffs up the metal more than chemicals do.

threat357
01-03-2013, 5:34 PM
Gel-type Jasco. That shit works awesome.

Sent from hell

Badassjamie
01-03-2013, 6:08 PM
Yeah I feel like their won't be a magical weapon, just more variance in what I'm already doing. Some kinda hot rod chemical peeler or abraisive sanding.
Think I'll go looking for a good stripper and melt that shit off.

goldenrule
01-03-2013, 6:18 PM
aircraft grade paint stripper. I used it on my old tank and it worked great. apply, rinse, repeat

OhioFlameThrower
01-03-2013, 6:22 PM
Find a local sandblasting shop that does quality work... my guy would sandblast that tank out for somewhere between $10 and $20. Also, freshly sandblasted surfaces are the very best for holding fresh primer.

www.flamethrowercustoms.blogspot.com
www.flamethrowercustoms.com

gyro
01-03-2013, 6:34 PM
If you search around on here there was a few threads a long time ago about the best easiest way to strip paint.you can find one of those or just put the tank on a 20 foot chain and hook it up behind your truck and drive around for a few days pulling it around.

lamb67t
01-03-2013, 6:52 PM
+1 on jasco from HD or lowes. Shit will bubble up powder coat like its nothing. I'm sure it will take off any paint and its easy to get. Wear heavy duty gloves and glasses/goggles. Water will neutralize it so clean up is easy. Make sure to scrape it while its still soft or it will harden back up.

NeoDutch
01-03-2013, 9:44 PM
Orbital sander.

mrcoffee
01-03-2013, 10:25 PM
Elbow grease, sandpaper and a dust mask.

-m

motorlou
01-03-2013, 10:31 PM
take it all off and just leave the TATS!!!! i know this ain't for everybody or for tanks that have been used recently but this is how i do it............easy breezy!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/motolou/DSCN0637_zpsade41a50.jpg

ARBY
01-04-2013, 6:42 AM
Find a local sandblasting shop that does quality work... my guy would sandblast that tank out for somewhere between $10 and $20. Also, freshly sandblasted surfaces are the very best for holding fresh primer.

www.flamethrowercustoms.blogspot.com
www.flamethrowercustoms.com

Now this is advice that should be taken.

Nottso
01-04-2013, 7:08 AM
If you're going to paint it, scuff it down with 320 grit paper or red Scotchbrite and paint over it..

threat357
01-04-2013, 7:17 AM
+1 on red scotchbrite pads. They work perfectly.

Sent from hell

ruckus2115
01-04-2013, 9:05 AM
i dont know what it is about that new factory harley paint but i know air craft stripper did not work for me on a fender that i did. i even returned the cans twice thinking there was something wrong with the cans that i bought. so....like mentioned above....i did the sand blasting route. i wish i had one of my own....but had to go to a friends to do it....

Badassjamie
01-04-2013, 9:36 AM
If you're going to paint it, scuff it down with 320 grit paper or red Scotchbrite and paint over it..

I was thinking this for the tank.

The fender is already scuffed and chipped so I'll need to strip that down but If I can get away just repainting the tank, then that's what I'll do. I basically 3m scotchbright everything else I own already, so if that's all I really need to do to prep this tank, I'm all over it.

Badassjamie
01-04-2013, 9:43 AM
Now this is advice that should be taken.

Yes, ideally I'd love to go this route, but theres no way I'm gonna get it done that cheap where I live and I don't have any Buds in the biz.
Basically when I walk thru their door with the tins, it'll be like "well theres at least an hrs worth of labour" and at 85-$100/hr +/-

realgone
02-05-2013, 1:44 PM
I see you're in Edmonton.
I take my tanks to RMC, over on the south east side.
They dunk them in a tank for a week or so, pull em out and coat them with a phosphorous(?) sort of spray so it doesn't flash rust.
Takes off all the paint, and any rust or crap on the inside as well.
WIth old Triumph tanks I find it's the only way to find out what I'm really dealing with.
I'm always surprsied at the bondo abuse the process reveails.
He charges $60-$100, depending on whether or not the tank has been kreemed.
I've stripped paints with aircraft stripper, this is worth it.
http://www.rmc-industries.com/