PDA

View Full Version : Long Road trip tips

shovelhead91
01-03-2013, 11:01 AM
Hey everyone
During the summer time I plan on doing a road trip from Mobile AL to Erie PA. About 19hrs. It won't be a straight shot.will make some stops and spend the night somewhere. I've done Short road trips like 2-4 hours or so.
But I'd figure I'd post on here to get and tips or helpful information on what to prepare for, what to bring. Things like that.
Thanks!

NIGHTTIGER666
01-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Apple headphones usually fall out.

Good luck.

MadRiverMoCo
01-03-2013, 11:14 AM
Break it up into 50-75-100 miles stretches

rustrocket84
01-03-2013, 12:48 PM
Wearing a helmet is better than none for fatigue, and a fullface is even better than an open face or 3/4 helmet. When you stop for gas take the extra time to stretch and move around a bit too.

CoyoteUSP
01-03-2013, 1:00 PM
If you have/have access to a windscreen of any sort USE IT. It looks dorky but it helps more than you'd imagine. Alternate riding positions are also a huge plus, i.e. if you can add passenger and/or highway pegs. Again, might look silly, but it helps your body keep from getting cramped up.

BrandonThePleb
01-03-2013, 1:09 PM
EAR PLUGS.

The wind and noise will start tiring you out. I always ride with them in if on the freeway

DWLifer
01-03-2013, 1:16 PM
+1 on the ear plugs on the highway, wind noise all day long drains on you.

Also, avoid eating big meals when you're on the road. Pack up some jerky and trail mix and every time ya stop grab a handful of it to keep from getting hungry.

sandergecko
01-03-2013, 2:39 PM
Earplugs, full face, good motorcycle jacket some descent boots, all to keep the wind fatigue down.
I like to do long stretches with a lot of micro stops. One hour, 65 miles since the last stop or whenever I need fuel or have to piss or shit, whatever comes first I get off for five to ten minutes. When I don't need food or fuel I stop at the side of the road if possible, less distractions keeps me focused.
Make sure you drink a little bit at every stop, food stops take me 30 minutes, eat light meals and a heavy breakfast. Energy drinks work.

Make sure your lugagge is tied up securly an not in the way of your normal riding position, you don't want to worry about antyhing but riding and getting there in one piece.

This worked for me on a moderatly comfortable sports bike last summer to get home from Switzerland, with a few hours of rain, about 500 miles in twelve hours. The next day I felt like shit.

SouthBayBobber
01-03-2013, 2:53 PM
Solid pair of boots +1 for ear plugs on long trips...Extra bandanas for face covering, snot, oil rag, tie down etc...And +1 for stopping every every hour or 2 even if you dont need food or gas...Helps to brake up the miles and gives ya chance to look at the scenery.

SquashThatFly
01-03-2013, 3:23 PM
I did 4000 miles in a week in September. 1800 in the first 3 days.

Good helmet the fits your face well. It cuts down on wind noise and "parachuting".

Walk around at every gas stop. Don't just get back on and Go. It keeps you loose and keeps the blood flowing.

Drink water. Keeping hydrated keeps your body from shutting down.

Good breakfast. Light meal. Snack.

DON'T ride tired. If you ride tired, you wear out even faster.

Take in the sights and have fun. If you see something you want to take a closer look at...do it. It will make your trip much more enjoyable in the end.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/voodoochopshop/photo-4-1_zps4c312eae.jpg

SinisterRouge
01-03-2013, 5:08 PM
i like to find a place on my rear fender to hook my cargo net (over all the other stuff ive strapped on) a gatoraid bottle, coat, etc can then be easily accessed but also held in place. also made it nice when id buy something at a stop like a book etc, dont have to take all my gear down to stow it.

broclanders
01-03-2013, 5:52 PM
Gold Bond is your friend on a long trip when it's hot outside. A piece of sheep skin over your seat or one of those bead covers will keep some air flowing across your arse. It may look and sound gay but it keeps the swamp ass to a minimum.

pj
01-03-2013, 8:00 PM
Tools, spark plugs, points if you got them, bulbs, wire, hose and clamps, zip ties, oil, etc. Extra cords or bungies. Leather coat and gloves even it's warm out.

xllance
01-03-2013, 8:49 PM
All above is good advice. Take your time and don't pack TOO much. Remember if you forget something, there's a Walmart every 20 miles. Have fun !

heretic530
01-03-2013, 8:55 PM
I have a fairing that clips onto harley removable windshield mounts...looks ugly as hell. Saves my butt on long trips. I have went coast to coast and back a few times. I will never even try that again, without a windshield.

JohnTheWrench
01-03-2013, 9:06 PM
My brother and I are riding from Fort Worth, Texas to Jamestown, New York (47 miles from Erie) in August. I'm taking notes here, and making a checklist. How many miles are reasonable to expect to do in a day on a trip like that? Is 500 reasonable? I realize I just invited every self-appointed hardass out there to jump in and suggest we do it Stampede-style, but I want to enjoy the trip. After a 500 mile day, is riding still going to be enjoyable after the third day?

xllance
01-03-2013, 9:19 PM
Unless you're entirely not used to riding at all, 500 mile days should be no problem givin your bike is set up right.

Buellbomb
01-04-2013, 5:17 AM
I take a couple aspirin in the morning before I go.

If you have the time, take it. Banzai runs beat you up for days, especially if you're old like me.

surfbum
01-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Take your time. Nothing sucks worse than a schedule

DistinctCustoms
01-04-2013, 12:37 PM
Not sure if its been mentioned, but multiple places to put your feet. Highway pegs or what have u. Being "stuck" in one position kills.......

SinisterRouge
01-04-2013, 12:55 PM
oh yeah, have a small can of extra gas and make gas stops when you can, i had a fun experience in the mountains,at night, with no one around, on the way to BMR

VPNick
01-04-2013, 1:24 PM
all good stuff on here...retty much covered everything...i am riding up to Washington State this summer from San Diego. I am gonna bring a couple spare tubes for those flats i hope i do not get.

deadbeatcustoms
01-04-2013, 3:09 PM
On a long enough trip rain gear is key. Putting whatever is in your pack in a trash bag inside your pack is also good. Gaiters, even though they look silly can sure come in handy to keep your boots dry. I learned the word "water proof" only holds true for a few hours before everything your bringing is wet. Invest in rain gear, you'll be glad you did when its pouring.

budman1876
01-04-2013, 3:55 PM
Keep a good body temp. I rode from Jersey to Key West in February. Almost killed myself and the OL when my hand wouldnt close on the clutch lever.

Flashback
01-08-2013, 2:54 AM
A lot also depends on what you are riding. I can ride my rigid stretched chopper from my house to my lake Tahoe cabin (770 miles) and it takes 2 days (frame mounted seat) and have a serious case of flat ass when I get there. Or I can take my FLHT-P with the air seat and do it in 13 hours straight and not be tired. That being said pain and all the chopper is more fun lol :banghead:

L7Josh
01-08-2013, 10:20 PM
Eat ice cream at every gas stop.