PDA

View Full Version : A "Basics" part of the forum???

Randeezy868
01-02-2013, 7:39 PM
So I've noticed a lot of hostility on here lately. Seems like the spectrum of people on here has gotten to wide. At one end guys are doing there own frames and at the other guys are wanting to switch out their first set of bars. Now I realize most people just want to flame or jump on them for not searching. But what if there was a "non-hardcore" place topost the easier questions. I off road a jeep as well and pirate4x4.com had the same problem. They made a place for the bolt on crowd and it works. The rule is you can ask the easy questions without getting raped over it. I dunno, maybe I'm retarded and we should just let everyone Internet fight. Just my two cents.

bonesxl1100
01-02-2013, 7:42 PM
Go fuck yourself

SinisterRouge
01-02-2013, 7:44 PM
i dont think its a bad idea. everyone needs to start somewhere. ive come a long way since i first joined the site, and ive got alot more to learn. but it would be nice if there was a spot on here where people could start getting into the scene judgement free and pull from the wealth of knowledge here. there was a time i didnt know how to change my bars, just like everyone else on here. making a "basics" section would be good for people who are into choppers and customs but are just getting into bikes and dont have fab skills. i vote yes.... it would also keep questions that have been answered a million times out of the regular sections.

bonesxl1100
01-02-2013, 7:44 PM
Lmao. Just playing man. I know what you're saying. Sometimes the people that answer with the typical sarcastic remark should probably just move on and not respond at all. But i think most of the internet arguing happens in the junk pile anyway. I still think people are really good here. For the most part.

NeoDutch
01-02-2013, 7:53 PM
Yeah. it can be called Thumpers mama folder and it will be filled with goodness and light and sparkles and unicorns. But no Disney.

Shacknasty
01-02-2013, 9:28 PM
Not very long ago, before the internet, ya had to get off yer ass and walk into a motorcycle shop. Approach the counter with the tough-lookin', greasy counterman and ask yer question while he regarded ya with steely eyes. If ya measured up, he might take pity on yer ignorant dumbass and show ya what ya need and how to do it. If he didn't like ya, ya might get told to fuck off, get a manual and learn to do it yer-damned-self.

If ya ask a question and have to wade through a little shit to retrieve a gem of hard-learned info, well - that's the price of the transaction. If ya can't take a little BS, then yer hide may not be thick enough to ride a motorsickle for the long run. Life is short and brutal. Ride hard mofo...

Randeezy868
01-02-2013, 10:07 PM
What are you 100? This isn't the 60s. I haven't seen a greasy mechanic in 15 years. Times have xhanged I know, everyone's gotta be a cool guy and not help the new guys in the scene. Well fuck that. I was just saying they could have a place to figure shit out, cuz everybody on here had to at one point. And just because there are 15 sportster all the same on here that doesn't mean those guys aren't the only ones in there city with a bike like that. Not hurting my feelings either way. Just a suggestion. I ride the middle of the road. I'm nobody, but I make a lot of my own stuff and don't mind helping others. It's whatever dudes.

ridemore16
01-02-2013, 10:37 PM
I agree that it's a good idea, but probably not feasible with the amount of moderation on Chop Cult. Who's going to keep the assholes out of the "new guy" area? I don't think Billdozer, McGoo, Allen and the other mods want to spend their time policing. A lot of the "new guys" really can find a lot of good info using the search feature. Chop Cult has been around long enough to have some pretty great tech info in the forum.

billdozer
01-02-2013, 10:41 PM
This isn't a bad idea at all. There are some changes in store real soon that might make this more possible, so stand by. Thanks for bringing up a good topic.

Jetblack
01-02-2013, 10:51 PM
This isn't a bad idea at all. There are some changes in store real soon that might make this more possible, so stand by. Thanks for bringing up a good topic.

Arby is going to be ecstatic; I hear he loves C.C. site changes ;)

CRFyou
01-02-2013, 11:13 PM

Hahaha!

Arby practically has all the threads started in the help section.

It reminds me of when we gave my grandfather a cell phone to use and he held it in his hand, at a distance, and stared at it like we asked him to decipher the enigma code.

Jeffy
01-02-2013, 11:26 PM
Is there also gonna be a tell me what you think about my bike section? That would be cool too. No offense to the rookies out there but maybe they could do the lurker thing like everybody else and learn some simple shit before jumping out there.

Its kinda like when we were all growing up and.youd go jerk off outside the neighbor girls house all the time, and when you finally started feeling pretty confident with that youd go fuck a fat drunk girl.

Jetblack
01-02-2013, 11:27 PM
Hahaha!

It reminds me of when we gave my grandfather a cell phone to use and he held it in his hand, at a distance, and stared at it like we asked him to decipher the enigma code.

I'm wondering when my technology barrier is going to hit; it came for my parents in 1985 trying to program the VCR clock for over 2 hours, I get home from somewhere and do it in 5 seconds...insulted that they even tried to hand me the manual.

nunez8853
01-02-2013, 11:29 PM
Hahaha!

holy shit man you made my damn day hahahaha what said word for word is how the guys at the indy shop i chill at do. these guys are 70 and 68 two brother( a wealth of knowledge) and I whipped out my smartphone and showed them what i can do, and that my phone had more computing power than their 90's pc and they look like they seen a freaking alien the shit was too funny,

drseiss
01-02-2013, 11:31 PM
Its kinda like when we were all growing up and.youd go jerk off outside the neighbor girls house all the time, and when you finally started feeling pretty confident with that youd go fuck a fat drunk girl.

Baby steps guys.

I think this is a pretty good idea.

xbmxxx
01-02-2013, 11:49 PM
Most of the other forums I frequent have a "newb" sections, flame free for people to ask the simple questions, and get started in the scene. I enjoyed them back when I got my first bike.

xl1200s
01-03-2013, 12:13 AM
i wish the newb section could be limited to actual technical questions related to issues they come across...

i almost never chastise the ones who are trying to learn but there are too many who just need to be flamed. and while im not the one to flame them there are plenty of guys on here who will.

it will actually make them better builders and further feed the industry if they learn how to do somethings the hard way.

you can lead a whore-to-culture....

kingdeadbeat
01-03-2013, 1:45 AM
In the near future, I wouldn't mind making a few SHORT yet rad videos, kinda giving you future chopper daddies some easy How-to's for some basic mods almost any chimp with opposing digits could manage? sound kinda neat???? I've learned a hell of a lot of ways to make a bike cool, easily and on the cheap.

Shacknasty
01-03-2013, 5:23 AM
This place is called "Chop Cult" not "Change Yer Handlebars Cult".

StoneHead
01-03-2013, 5:55 AM
Haven't seen a greasy mechanic in 15 years?

What the fuck do you ride, BMW?

Hahahahaha!

53rigid
01-03-2013, 7:01 AM
Funny. A thread about a no flaming section gets flames. Sad, but this seems the norm latley on CC.

I am willing to bet a huge chunk of the members here started off small like changing their handlebars. Cut em some slack and stay the fuck out of that section then and lay your hardcore chopping skills on a thread that needs you.

I for one smell another contest to name that section.....

ARBY
01-03-2013, 7:02 AM

Aaaaahhhhhhh!!! Not again. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

ARBY
01-03-2013, 7:09 AM
Hahaha!

Hey, I only have three threads. looney has two so he's runnin' a close second. Some things are a little harder for me. I'd like to see you keep a Commodore 128 up and running all these years!

NHMike
01-03-2013, 7:48 AM
Why does anyone give a shit if someone doesn't use the search function? I think we should be more concerned with the assholes, that have been hanging around here lately, more than the kid just trying to figure out his bike. As of late, it really seems like there's an "I'm better than you" attitude coming around FAR more than before JJ got taken over...anyone else notice that "coincidence"?

NHMike: Hardcore since 1973

DirtyCracker
01-03-2013, 7:56 AM
you can lead a whore-to-culture....but ya cant make her think...:cheersmate:

threat357
01-03-2013, 8:10 AM
Why does anyone give a shit if someone doesn't use the search function? I think we should be more concerned with the assholes, that have been hanging around here lately, more than the kid just trying to figure out his bike. As of late, it really seems like there's an "I'm better than you" attitude coming around FAR more than before JJ got taken over...anyone else notice that "coincidence"?

Well said

Knuckleduster
01-03-2013, 8:22 AM

OMFG Bill, not again :( (I promise I won't freak out this time,.ya ya I know I said that last time too)
I kinda look at it like this , when I was just a wee lad, my dad decided to teach my bro & I how to swim. We were in a boat in a very large lake. He tossed us both overboard and literally told us to "sink or swim!" oddly our little arms started flailing about, as our little legs were kicking. In a matter of seconds we were swimming, I think its important to "learn shit the hard way" sometimes.

I'm no pro builder by any means, and I don't have a problem asking questions, no matter how simple they may seem to a pro. And for all I know Torch really enjoys answering all my quirky questions. In my eyes the only dumb question is the unasked question. To me ChopCult is more than just a forum, this is a very diverse community where novice & experts get to intermingle, and learn from one anothers past experiences and knowledge of how shit works, whatever that may be. You may be the best engine builder in the world , but have no idea how to set up a website to promote your business, and then theres the geeky PC guy, that needs to rebuild an engine and looks up to you for advice, tips, tricks, ...knowledge, and you get web help from him in return. Nobody ever stops learning.

True there may be a touch of vagueness or sarcasm here and there, personally I feel things like this are sometimes needed just to make folks think a little harder, dig a little deeper. I'll be honest when I ask a simple question over on the TOL board, I usually get very vague answers, or riddles, this challenges me to "figure it out", most usually by digging around through older posts, or asking other questions to try to get more parts of "the code" they are trying to get me to decipher. Sometimes being told how to do something, and doing it are two totally different things. Until you "do it" you just can't fathom how its done, but afterwords you think to yourself "Ahh thats what such and such means, and thats what the guy told me " They rarely give direct answers, and usually end up getting into an argument about carb float heights, when it was a question about tires.

I like to be challenged, if I did not want a challenge of figuring shit out, making shit work, I'd save up for a new stock bike! Because honestly I feel that is a big part of doing shit like this in the first place.

2stroketim
01-03-2013, 9:46 AM
I think it's a great idea.

For those that don't like it, you don't have to view the pages. But we all had to learn from someone/something, at some point.

I can almost guarantee that most of us here have had to ask a few dumb ass questions in their time...

Newbies shouldn't be afraid to ask their questions -IE: What the fuck is the difference between a "unit" and a "pre-Unit" Triumph?

We should actually encourage them a little more so that the younger guys develop that same passion that we grey beards have developed...

Jetblack
01-03-2013, 10:31 AM
Aaaaahhhhhhh!!! Not again. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I knew you'd love Bill's post mentioning site changes; from your comments on the last ones...I just couldn't resist.

:cheersmate:

cabinetjesus
01-03-2013, 10:33 AM
What the hell 's up with your avatar Bill , some kind of political protest?:)

billdozer
01-03-2013, 10:39 AM

Yeah, I flipped my patch.

Knuckleduster
01-03-2013, 10:40 AM

....He hates you, too

CRFyou
01-03-2013, 10:42 AM
What the fuck is the difference between a "unit" and a "pre-Unit" Triumph?

A unit Triumph has cases with an integrated engine and transmission. Whereas the pre-unit has two autonomous components that can be interchanged or removed.

There, Tim!

OhioFlameThrower
01-03-2013, 10:43 AM
Go fuck yourself

Dude, that humor just freakin' made my morning!!!! Thanks!

www.flamethrowercustoms.blogspot.com
www.flamethrowercustoms.com

Jetblack
01-03-2013, 10:56 AM
I personally haven't seen much flaming of, just starting out build threads...I peruse the Japanese section the most; because that's where my build is...so I can't say what goes down in the Brit or US sections.

But I do think a first timers or noob section is a good idea; if anyone starts a build thread and doesn't clarify...first build or not much experience with bikes; their skin might need to be a little thicker...even with good intentions text can void subtle tact, because tone of voice is absent. Yay emoticons... :D but they aren't :cool: to some just annoying.

I have seen some posters talking smack; but have no build thread etc. of their own...experience can be any ones guess; do they know what they are talking about, with hands on experience or using google and forming an opinion? Hard to say at first...but the more they post the more it becomes apparent...forming their own BS meter.

I'm looking forward to see what changes happen. Thanks to all whom; put effort into this site and supporting the community surrounding chop culture.

2stroketim
01-03-2013, 11:27 AM
A unit Triumph has cases with an integrated engine and transmission. Whereas the pre-unit has two autonomous components that can be interchanged or removed.

There, Tim!

Ha! Thanks dude - - -

Jesse13
01-03-2013, 11:29 AM
I think this is a great idea ! I have learned a shit ton of useful info on the 33 by asking dumb questions and im looking forward to learning a lot more ...

ARBY
01-03-2013, 11:56 AM
I'll lead off. If it becomes a thread somebody can move this.

Lefty loosey, righty tighty. Except on some things.

NHMike
01-03-2013, 12:20 PM

He loves us all now.

Evidence
01-03-2013, 12:29 PM
I think this is a good idea...I frequent a lot of forums, and a couple more sub sections wouldnt hurt good ole CC (this is my favorite forum btw). Just dont go overboard with the sub sections, then they get desolate and its hard to find shit lol.

mrcoffee
01-03-2013, 1:28 PM
I think there are plenty of resources outside of CC - XLF for the Sportster crowd, for example - where newbs can get a shit ton of useful knowledge about everything from basics on up. I've even seen folks here direct others to those sorts of sites for info. But they aren't always helpful when someone wants to step outside the box and doesn't know where to start.

I don't see why anybody should take issue with encouraging and educating those who seek to build their knowledge and skills. How is asking for advice from the experienced folks here any different from asking for advice from the guru down the street? Fact is, if I want to learn, I'm going to seek out the best source of information that I can find. Reality is, as a collective, the majority here represent an incredible wealth of knowledge. Y'all should feel honored that newbs come to you with questions, rather than look down on them with disdain.

-m

xtankx
01-03-2013, 1:58 PM
I'm the kind of guy who likes to dig through 50 thread pages just to find what i'm looking for. By doing this, I come over many other things i'm interested and this is how I learn new stuff.

This forum is one of the greatest I've been on and sorting all the threads with sub categories would be really nice and helpful for the new comers with minimal knowledge and ressources (just like me).

I'm more of a low profile person, making my own projects my own way with what I got and the persons I know but some people just aren't that way (the "how do you like my bike" & "what handlebars should i get" kind of stuff). I think this is the chemical reaction it does when little more mainstream meets the underground...

leoj
01-03-2013, 5:16 PM
Personally, I can't wait for the unicorns and sparkly shit - why no Disney?

Nosebleed
01-03-2013, 5:39 PM
I think that the newb section would be a great idea. CC is a very diverse community and not everyone came from a background where they had a Dad/stepdad/uncle who was a greasy Vietnam vet who built bikes in the shed to learn from. When I first came to CC it was mostly to look at pictures of insane bikes and to try and learn a few things. I don't think I posted anything for the first few months because I felt like I wasn't the type of guy to "fit in" around here. Eventually I started asking some questions, probably all dumb ones at first but people were very accomodating and I appreciated it.

Over the past few years I've organized rides and events, some of which were even sponsored/supported by Biltwell/ChopCult and other fine companies and I've probably met about 150+ ChopCult members in person. Know what I've found? About half of them know a ton more about bikes than I do, and half don't know how to change their own spark plugs.

Just goes to show you that there are a lot of "unasked questions" out there. CC should be the kind of place where people feel welcome to ask questions, not the kind of place where people fear that they will be humiliated because they don't know something. That's just pointless, and in the words of the Junkpilers, "ghey."

Pendulum
01-03-2013, 5:52 PM
I'm actually against this, for one simple reason:

I didn't know shit about shit like 2 yrs ago, and now I consider myself pretty damn knowledgeable... and I didn't get that way from asking stupid questions. I read. I read a lot. Then I read some more. Yeah, I'd ask questions... but until I'd read. A lot.

If you're too lazy or stupid to do your own research, or go out to the garage and fuck with your bike, then I don't want to help you. I've been seeing more and more stupid questions on Chop Cult...

Now, if someone posts a question and they've obviously already done some research or are just stuck on something, then of course I'll help however I can. But, having a whole section for lazy morons to ask questions before they even Google for an answer is a horrible idea.

Nosebleed
01-03-2013, 6:04 PM
^^^ I agree to an extent. Some questions are more stupid than others and at times it's better to "teach a man to fish" instead of just handing them the answers. The answer to many stupid questions should often be, "What does the Clymer/Service manual for your bike say?"

I usually don't answer when people post questions like, "what spark plugs will fit in my 1999 Sporty?"

nunez8853
01-03-2013, 6:21 PM
Pendulum and Nosebleed

you guys are both right, there is nothing wrong with asking questions that are "newbee" questions. I was there a year and a half ago. I didnt know my asshole from my elbow. and i would ask dumb questions till someone called me on my shit. at the time I was on hdforums they are mostly for new guys. bolt it on and say look what i did and all the other new guys were impressed. you know good for that. but once I got my ass chew for posting a question that was just asked, I got the point do a bit of research and then ask. and it got to the point where i was doing so much research that i came across chopcult and here I am and now i think im pretty ok around a bike not rebuilding motors yet but not asking how to change bars either.

do some searching get a manual and if you still are stumped ask whats up.

I had a math teacher from 7th to 9th grade and he told me a valuable thing that i still use to this day

sit in stare is not the way your going to solve that problem... its not an option. you guys feel free to live by that

straightshot
01-03-2013, 7:49 PM
How do you change the spark plug wires on a sportster?

Jeffy
01-03-2013, 7:51 PM
Its just kinda commonplace in the world we.live in today. Dont work hard for the things you want just find the easiest way to get the end.result or.kust have.someone give it.to you. Everybody interested enough to do anything to their ride ahould e.interested enough to scour.the.earth for the knowledge they need. Not just say gimme gimme and.get butt hurt when somebody tells em to kick rocks. Tons of.dudes here got shit from all kinds of people on their way up and did they quit? Or just keep on keepin on until they found the info they needed and ride back over to that old asshole and say "check it out!l old man approves and now they are teacher and.mentor since he.proved.some wrth.

Just as in the.tattoo industry and many others hazing heckling and general hard time is used as a motivator. If you cant hang then this isnt your crowd, buy a dresser and have the stealer make it "custom" for you and show it off to other dudes of a similar style. I started learning how to do stuff on my own at a young age by looking at it and just tearing into it to see how it worked. You go as far.as..you can maybe you get it.done and feel proud of yourslef or maybe you get close THEN ask. That shows your true intent and people will appreciate that even though you knew nothing you still dove in head first because its something you truly wanted to do and not some passing trend that you had to hurry up and show off.

Better questions to ask would be stuff like "where can I get a detailed description of my steering components so I can learn how to change bars/forks/wheels/frontend service?" Still gonna vet some.dicks telling you to buy a fucking manual but seriously buy a fuckin manual!

Nosebleed
01-03-2013, 7:51 PM
Oh, it's easy, let me help you out. All you have to do is...

straightshot
01-03-2013, 7:55 PM
I don't have a clymer manual! I'm not building a clymer, I'm building a "old skool bobber":clap for you:

Nosebleed
01-03-2013, 8:02 PM
Oh, well in that case youre going to need my new book called "Everything I know about old school bobbers, I learned on ChopCult." It details everything you need to know including where to buy whitewall tires for the best prices, how to remove your turn signals, even how to find your local HD dealership when you need an oil change!

Only $39.99 with the ChopCult member discount!

53rigid
01-03-2013, 8:10 PM
So, those of you against it will probably just not visit that part of the forum then? Done. I for one will answer any question I feel deserves an answer.

straightshot
01-03-2013, 8:11 PM
Oh, well in that case youre going to need my new book called "Everything I know about old school bobbers, I learned on ChopCult." It details everything you need to know including where to buy whitewall tires for the best prices, how to remove your turn signals, even how to find your local HD dealership when you need an oil change!

Only $39.99 with the ChopCult member discount!

Does your book have a paint section that covers how to lay down flat black on the tins and red on the rims?

Nosebleed
01-03-2013, 8:20 PM
Does your book have a paint section that covers how to lay down flat black on the tins and red on the rims?

Does it? Come on now, how can you run whitewall tires on a late model Old School Bobber without red rims? There's even a forward by Paul Jr!

mrcoffee
01-03-2013, 10:23 PM
I.think.Jeffy's..keyboard.is mayb borken...

-m

rus
01-03-2013, 11:03 PM
from my experience....

forum sections devoted to people who don't know anything tend to only be populated by other people who don't know anything. guy's who know what they're doing don't want to sit around answering a bunch of remedial questions and people who really want to learn will find a way. it ends up being a being a bunch of unmotivated kids calling eachother names.

if a topic is basic, typing it into google will get you an answer 99% of the time. if people can't figure that out, they shouldn't even be on a motorcycle, let alone trying to alter one.

however, so i don't sound like a total nay-sayer:
i suggest bill makes a special t-shirt you can only get in exchange for writing quality how-to's. fill the 'greatest hits' section with more quality content and you won't need dumb questions. make a 'dictionary' thread with links to threads/sites/wiki articles on every question you might want to know...common harley abbreviations, motor years, how to change your oil you tube videos, etc. break it down by bike type if you'd like. it'll create database which is ultimately way more useful than a bunch of people thinking they have an open forum for dumb questions that 5 minutes of looking would have probably answered.

rus
01-03-2013, 11:10 PM
as an example of what i'm talking about, this is how they did it on a VW forum i used to be on (this link is specific for the jetta i used to have, however they had them for all models). obviously something here is not going to be that expansive, but it's an idea...

vw vortex (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5187132-MK4Forum-Essentials-DIY-FAQ-amp-Resources-Guide)

Jeffy
01-03-2013, 11:54 PM
I like it. And the keyboards not broke but touch screen keyboards done exisf big enough to fit the gorilla mitts smacking into them over here. And I dont feel like fixing all those mistales. Plus I think it adds charachter. Lol

Jeffy
01-03-2013, 11:55 PM
Yeh and what he said^ good idea.

Incrediblah
01-04-2013, 12:31 AM
I agree with Pendulum. I didn't know shit when I started lurking on this site a couple years ago, but I don't believe I posted any irrelevant questions, or talked about my "build" until I actually BUILT a bike. I've learned a ton of stuff from this site, but I've also taught myself a lot, including how to weld.

I think the people who tend to get angry at all the new folks on here, asking the stupid questions about how to relocate their coil on their nightster bobber build, are the people who spent time learning how to do shit themselves, or by reading.

Maybe just a more specific set of guidelines for joining the community or writing your first few posts? I'm not saying everyone has to be a chopper genius or anything, but this is CHOPcult. There's plenty of great info on how to move your horn, or change your blinkers on other sites. I came to this community because I wanted to create my own rolling pieces of art, and because it offers information that those other sites don't.

I learn something new every day on here, and I love the site for what it is. Basics are great if they're chopping basics. Plenty of other sites for the easy stuff.

Here's a butt. :asshat:

McGrizzle
01-04-2013, 5:19 AM
I've been a mechanic for a long time, and I think alot of folks would be suprised what they'd actually learn from a noob if they took the time to (not saying give a free meal) but share some know-how. Sometimes your few simple words like "that's backwards" gets someone over a hump, in turn you notice something as simple as his tool selection or hand positioning that makes you better yourself.

threat357
01-04-2013, 6:33 AM
I think the fact that there are 7 pages of debate about whether or not to add another section for threads geared toward newer wrenchers/riders is retarded. Seriously. Those more experienced guys and gals who want to help the less experienced will check out that section, and offer help as they see fit, and everyone else (all the high and mighty elitists) can just ignore that section. It's not difficult. Just because a new section is possibly added doesn't mean you've gotta click on it and concern yourself with it's contents. You could add a section about fast and furious tokyo drift fag cars and it wouldn't matter to those not interested. It just becomes a link you don't bother clicking on.

Jeffy
01-04-2013, 9:12 AM
Or the elistists who are higher than the other elistists can tell those elitists to stop being so elite!!!......

Nobodys knocking them for trying to get into it and learn, as said a few posts back its the thing on nkt wanting to spoon feed them. I stopped doing that shit for my son when he turned 2 and damn sure dont plan on doing it for grown folks. If you wanna learn take up books and learn its out there.

While im here im new to painting, can anybody show me how to get brushstrokes down to paint the Mona Lisa? I can currently almost comprehend stick figures.......maybe I should pick up a paint brush and put it in some paint first.

NHMike
01-04-2013, 9:36 AM
No one has mentioned that the search function doesn't work all that great.

Badassjamie
01-04-2013, 9:58 AM
The quality of info here is second to none.

9/10 if I'm stuck and don't have the balls to start a noob thread, I always just plain old GOOGLE it.

But then I could be looking for info on welding underwater and somehow find 20 plus pages on HDforums.of dudes discussing what they should be "blacking out" on their 2012's.

derekd403
01-04-2013, 10:19 AM

+1. It seems since there is so many different search strings, key words, etc. i usually have a hard time using the search function. Doesn't help too that not everybody uses the same vocab so it makes t twice as hard:

threat357
01-04-2013, 10:22 AM
The quality of info here is second to none.

9/10 if I'm stuck and don't have the balls to start a noob thread, I always just plain old GOOGLE it.

But then I could be looking for info on welding underwater and somehow find 20 plus pages on HDforums.of dudes discussing what they should be "blacking out" on their 2012's.

Lol! HDForums rules the google results.

Sent from hell

CRFyou
01-04-2013, 10:23 AM
I haven't seen any of the n00b questions/bashing. If someone has a British bike question, it gets an answer. We keep a Torch in there.

So I'm going to assume it's happening in the American section? And they're mostly sportster questions??

I've been thinking this place needs a sportster section for a while due to the shear volume of people that own that particular production bike.

Did you know??? You can now get an 883 from the miles store?

Anyway... Chop Cult doesn't have to chuck out n00b5, but I'd rather see more custom build stuff in the American forum(i do creep in there). There's a lot of talent drowned out by Chopper Seamen Apprentice threads.

Nosebleed
01-04-2013, 10:53 AM
+1. It seems since there is so many different search strings, key words, etc. i usually have a hard time using the search function. Doesn't help too that not everybody uses the same vocab so it makes t twice as hard:

True what these fellas said. I was trying to search for Bill's "EZ XL" thread one day to look at the pics and couldn't find it forever. If you want to learn something about your Sportster forks, you can search for "39mm", or "front end", or "narrow glide", or "narrow trees", or "sporty fork", or...

rus
01-04-2013, 12:22 PM
^^hence my suggestion for an expanded 'how to' section, broken down by area of the bike.

Shacknasty
01-04-2013, 4:51 PM
It's kinda sad when a nicely focused idea becomes diluted. Over on the JJ folks complain that they can't post pics of their fabulous Jap chop, but exclusivity is what makes it cool and desirable. Chop Cult appealed to me because it was about taking a perfectly good motorcycle and chopping it into yer vision of a motorsickle. I didn't sign up here to find out about bolting a piece of Factory chrome on my bike.

This place was, and still is, filled with people that wanna customize their machines and share with like-minded individuals. There are plenty of sites aimed at the never-twirled-a-wrench crowd. This forum has a reputation of keeping the flame of chopping alive and kickin' and it would suck hairy balls to loose that. The cool factor is lost with dumbing down and mainstreaming...

Jeffy
01-04-2013, 6:42 PM
Bingo!

LivingCanvas
01-04-2013, 8:32 PM
It's kinda sad when a nicely focused idea becomes diluted. Over on the JJ folks complain that they can't post pics of their fabulous Jap chop, but exclusivity is what makes it cool and desirable. Chop Cult appealed to me because it was about taking a perfectly good motorcycle and chopping it into yer vision of a motorsickle. I didn't sign up here to find out about bolting a piece of Factory chrome on my bike.

This place was, and still is, filled with people that wanna customize their machines and share with like-minded individuals. There are plenty of sites aimed at the never-twirled-a-wrench crowd. This forum has a reputation of keeping the flame of chopping alive and kickin' and it would suck hairy balls to loose that. The cool factor is lost with dumbing down and mainstreaming...

Quoted for truth!

mrcoffee
01-04-2013, 9:39 PM
I don't think anybody is recommending that we dumb it down to the level of bolt-on bling and routine maintenance, although I suppose I could be mistaken....? As has been mentioned, there are plenty of resources for that sort of thing. But I don't think I've ever found a better source of information for chopping, hacking, fabbing, etc. and I don't believe being mechanically inclined and creative preclude asking questions of guys who've done it before.

-m

mad750
01-04-2013, 9:39 PM
First world problems.

Jetblack
01-04-2013, 9:49 PM
I personally don't mind answering questions; and lending a hand in areas of my knowledge or experience, or best educated guess...there's plenty of gaps I need to refine, we all have some weakness to refine somewhere, and even some old things when the memory starts slipping.

But that's just part of the bike passion to me...I'll give a response definitely; not to be and end all answer in any way, and it's cool when others chime in, theirs without arguing...and a consensus is formed; then I learn a different way than the way I do things; and I am always looking for the most efficient easy way to accomplish the same outcome...so yeah; to me noob questions are valuable to more than just to the OP with the question. A lot of different experience and techniques on this board, and no matter how many times I've rebuilt carbs or whatever...I like seeing other members ways of doing the same thing; it hones my craft.

I think what Rus mentioned...would be cool like different parts of bikes with tuts; and when someone gets a wild hair they can add to the rim tuts, or paint tuts etc. a tab where all of that is in one place; easy to find would make a sick ass reference...for noobs or not.

BeetleJuice
01-05-2013, 8:23 AM
I'm the kind of guy who likes to dig through 50 thread pages just to find what i'm looking for. By doing this, I come over many other things i'm interested and this is how I learn new stuff.

This forum is one of the greatest I've been on and sorting all the threads with sub categories would be really nice and helpful for the new comers with minimal knowledge and ressources (just like me).

I'm more of a low profile person, making my own projects my own way with what I got and the persons I know but some people just aren't that way (the "how do you like my bike" & "what handlebars should i get" kind of stuff). I think this is the chemical reaction it does when little more mainstream meets the underground...

I agree 115%. While I don't have a build thread of my own, when I got my bike and it wouldnt run I sat in the garage for hours with my laptop scouring this site and absorbing as much as I could. I still dont have all the knowledge in the world but I have a hell of alot more than I did to begin with, and Im comfortable wrenching on my bike, taking on small stuff for others. Its all a learning experience. I've always been the type that is never afraid to ask a question, because at some point in time someone else had to ask it too. A "basics" or "beginners" section seems like a great idea

Evidence
01-05-2013, 9:04 AM
I think part of the problem is that there are a lot of people who like the "bobber"/chop look and want their bike to be styled that way, and they end up here because its the closest to what they're looking for. Unfortunately for them, they are kind of stuck in limbo. If they come here their bike isnt modified enough to be considered a chop, but when they go to a place like XLForum, theres a lot of chrome guys who dont really understand what they are trying to accomplish.

Personally, when I see the threads of guys who put apes and a tank raise on their nightster, if I dont think its all that great I just leave the thread. They are enjoying themselves and dont deserve to have me taking a dump all over their style preference.

Not to mention, ive asked some stupid questions before. I usually try to google stuff, but when it doesnt come up and I need a quick answer ill make a post. Usually it gets a couple quick answers and then just dies away, which is the beauty of internet forums...I also have thick skin though, so when I ask "hay u guiz, do mah coil wyrez hav 2 go 2 a sertin post on da coil?!" I dont get offended when someone calls me a dumbass for not paying more attention when I took it apart lol.

SingSing
01-05-2013, 11:20 AM
Yeah man..I concur with the original poster....I only been on here for a short time also but ive learned a great deal bout shit and im thankful for that. met some really cool ass bros too..havin said that i prefer this 33 forum just cuz it doesnt have the collection of keyboard gangstas that THAT OTHER (HD F____ms) has. I mean if u cant say something helpful then STFU and fall back and let whoever needs the right info get his shit n move on.. Good thread.:cheersmate:

SeaChicken
01-05-2013, 11:07 PM
Somebody mentioned the chrome guys at the xl forum not relating with the guys on this site. I totally agree but I do wish there were more detailed threads on rebuilding or modifying engines alot of the mechanical stuff that sometimes takes a back seat. I am loyal to the chop cult but occasionally look on the Xl forum for engine and transmission threads.

threat357
01-06-2013, 8:39 PM
Agreed. I commented once a while back about how there were almost a dozen pages of discussion about a vest, but I couldn't get more than a handful of replies to a question regarding sportster cams. Lol. I think that over time, there will be more mixing of the minds. The sportster is a pretty popular bike to chop after all. I've recognized some members from both forums posting back and forth.

904Punk
01-07-2013, 3:57 AM

Whenever I need to search the cc I just go to google type in my search followed by "chop cult", gives much better results than searching the site and weeds out all of the hdforum threads.