PDA

View Full Version : Harley clutch switch bypass

rgm
01-02-2013, 4:39 AM
Guys, need some help with my current project. Newer HD (2012) and installing a jockey shift with clutch pull on hand shifter. Moving perch (without sitches) to shifter handle. That said, the clutch switch is still in the switch cover on the handle bars. I need a way to by pass this switch????? Here are my options and need some advice if possible. Hopefully someone else has done this. I do want to also change from the stock switch boxes to clean up handle bars. i.e removing the left side switch control box all together, hence requiring the bypass of the switch.

Options:
1 - leave old controls on handlebars with switch intack, just not being used-last resort option
2 - move an aftermarket switch set up to jockey shift hand shifter where it will still be operational - not sure if this is even avialble.....
3 - bypass switch somehow by jumping it without causing other problems.
4 - can I just disconnect the wire ends from the switch, cap them off, or do I need to connect them i.e. move the switch under the tank somewhere, just never to be used.

Other guys have just connected them permanently but this causes the engine light to stay on and diag errors to occur. I would like to avoid this if possible....

Any assistance or ideas, either on my options or otherwise would be greatly appreciated. My older HD's didn't have this switch in them......

Thanks

Robb

Brendden
01-03-2013, 10:55 AM
What model is it?

andri
01-03-2013, 3:12 PM
Post says 2012 model.

But I'm just curious what this switch does. Never heard of this before, as I have never worked on such a new bike.
Seems like they managed to stuff 'em full of electronics last few years especially.

Brendden
01-03-2013, 3:49 PM
I'm asking what model it is like flstc, flhtcu or what, because only one i can think of with features like that are police models.

jimg
01-03-2013, 4:01 PM
I don't know if this helps but I had one on my 06 Triumph Speedmaster. I cut and connected the two wires together that fed the switch, there by wiring the switch out of the circuit. I then pulled the switch out of the hand control.

You could jumper across the switch to see if it works the same as the one on the Triumph.

ercle69
01-03-2013, 6:15 PM
i believe you are talking about the neutral safety switch. you should be able to just snip the wires and twist them together, so the computer thinks its always in neutral. or snip them and leave them apart, whichever way works.this shouldnt harm the way it runs or anything either, didnt on my bikes. i had to do this on the Honda Shadows i chopped. should fix your problem!

bobscogin
01-03-2013, 8:26 PM
i believe you are talking about the neutral safety switch. you should be able to just snip the wires and twist them together, so the computer thinks its always in neutral.

Is the computer still going to think it's still in neutral when the speed sensor tells it the bike is going 70 mph and the engine is under load? I smell a trouble code if he does that.

Bob

ercle69
01-03-2013, 8:30 PM
that is possible. ive never dealt ith any of that bullshit. i prefer the "older" simpler machines.

Jeffy
01-03-2013, 9:34 PM
Did it on mine when I switched the.ignition to a car style. It basically just got disconnected not tied back together that would show clutch in to computer stuff. If disconnected.bike.has to be in neutral to start. The switch is.strictly a.safety feature to keep you from starting it in gear without the.clutch pulled in. mine was a 08 sportster but applies to all the newer shit.

mrcoffee
01-03-2013, 10:36 PM
Did your ECM start throwing codes afterward, Jeffy? I'm looking at cleaning up my bars, and while I can move everything else, the clutch switch is just plain going away...I had already figured the best approach was to leave the ECM thinking the clutch is not pulled in and force starts to be done in N. Never thought it would generate codes, but Bob and rgm have me wondering now.

-m

Jeffy
01-04-2013, 12:00 AM
Nope. No codes up until I ditched the Speedo. Just like I said tho only thing is had to be in neutral for it to even attempt to start thats it.

rgm
01-04-2013, 1:54 PM
Actually I do get codes when I attached the wires permanently together. Bike still functions but light on dash stays on, red engine light for some reason.

Does ayone know how that switch is wired. Momentary on or off normally without the clutch being depressed? I think I might get the opposite style switch, wire it up and place under the tank to fool the engine and codes. If anyone knows how it is normally wired, let me know, thanks.

Jeffy
01-04-2013, 6:51 PM
No. leave it disconnected. When its wired together its showing the clutch being pulled.in.