PDA

View Full Version : For You tight mutha doers....

BuddhahoodVato
12-31-2012, 9:08 PM
For your tight nuts.............

Penetrating Oils

Machinist's Workshop magazine recently published some information on various penetrating oils that I found very interesting.
Some of you might appreciate this. The magazine reports they tested penetrates for break out torque on rusted nuts.

They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist.

They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a
"scientifically rusted" environment.

*Penetrating oils ........... Average torque load to loosen*

No Oil used ................... 516 pounds
WD-40 ..................... ... 238 pounds
PB Blaster .................... 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ...............127 pounds
Kano Kroil .................... 106 pounds
ATF*-Acetone mix............53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix is a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone.

Note this "home brew" released bolts better than any commercial product in this one particular test.

Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results.
Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is almost as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.

Steve from Godwin-Singer says that ATF-Acetone mix is best, but you can also use ATF and lacquer thinner in a 50-50 mix.
*ATF=Automatic Transmission Fluid

LivingCanvas
12-31-2012, 9:18 PM
Good looking out

Jetblack
12-31-2012, 9:34 PM
Nice; was there any note about the amount of time it was left on the fasteners?

sonny
12-31-2012, 10:02 PM
i know liquid wrench is not as good as kroil , i have used atf and acetone mix for years in my parts cleaner but not as a penetrating oil

Tito
12-31-2012, 10:31 PM
Thanks for posting this. I had heard about ATF/Acetone for freeing stuck pistons. Looks like it has more than a few uses. Surprised they didn't try Gibbs oil.

billdozer
01-01-2013, 12:36 AM
Man, I thought PB blaster was the shit. Thanks for the science BHV.

BuddhahoodVato
01-01-2013, 9:11 AM
De nada, I work with alot, alot of old shit. So this insight was ablessing.

ARBY
01-01-2013, 9:28 AM
Interesting post. Ya think the ATF mixture would be good as a cutting oil for drilling stuff?

Tito
01-01-2013, 12:34 PM
Interesting post. Ya think the ATF mixture would be good as a cutting oil for drilling stuff?

I would think not. It would be more for penetrating and getting into crevices (haha) to free up parts. Whenever cutting and drilling it seems the thicker stuff works good for me. Once it gets hot, it thins out even more.

Maybe I'm wrong though. I am going to mix up some ATF/Acetone today to put in an oil can to have around. I'll give it a whirl next time I'm cutting threads.

JMFNC
01-01-2013, 1:31 PM
I was told kerosene and motor oil 50/50 years ago, ended up smelling like wd40.

aaronc
01-01-2013, 1:41 PM
Kroil oil is the bomb diggity

bobbarooski
01-01-2013, 1:48 PM
I got turned on to some stuff called PEN it is alot like kroil

BuddhahoodVato
01-01-2013, 4:49 PM

I seriously doubt it would be as good as cutting oil. Acetone, does not seem compatible for drilling
But I will surely give it a try next time.

Mollard
01-01-2013, 5:12 PM
Thanks for the info. Great post bud.

pessimiste
01-01-2013, 10:35 PM
I work in the petroleum industry, we swear by Kroil! stuff is amazing on huge equipment and even better on regular stuff / bikes.

dirtbag
01-02-2013, 4:19 AM

I got some walters brand coolcut in a spraycan and its the shit...

WilliamsDeeLux
01-03-2013, 12:52 AM
I have free`d up a few rusted up engines with ATF. The last was a ford flathead that hadn't run since the 80s. Put the tranny fluid in the cylinders and lightly tap the pistons every couple days. After a while I was able to crank the engine over. I'm a pretty big fan of PB Blaster too.

Knuckleduster
01-03-2013, 11:15 AM
...Oddly no mention of "Knock 'Er Loose" , A catalyst penetrating oil similar to PB Blaster.

TheGooch13
01-07-2013, 6:55 PM
Cool post, thanks

HumblePie68
01-07-2013, 7:11 PM
ATF*-Acetone mix.. A+ freed several motor with this stuff,,works great

gyro
01-07-2013, 9:40 PM
Man, I thought PB blaster was the shit. Thanks for the science BHV.

Damn me too. I just told somebody the other day that pb blaster was the best and to grab some of it. Now I'm gonna have to tell him about this. Thanks for that tip man

pj
01-07-2013, 10:09 PM
Any one ever used Strongarm ? I got some awhile back it seems to work good for multiple applications including a penetrate. I do maintenance at a brewery and I use Kroil a lot, good stuff. I look forward to trying this atf , ethanol mix on my bikes and at work. Thanks for the tip.

Jetblack
01-08-2013, 2:02 AM
I've always used Marvel Mystery for breaking stuck motors; I pour a good amount in plug hole(s) leave in for an hour or two, get a breaker bar and slide a piece of pvc pipe for a long ass handle...put that on the crank, then put my foot on it sometimes that's enough, if it needs more negotiating depending on where the pistons stuck, I either pile shop cloths on top and slide a 1x1 on the deeper one and smack it sharply like a clock face: 12, 3, 6, 9 then middle with a rubber mallet, then go to the highest and tap in the middle in short quick taps as my foot pushes the breaker bar, that pops it fast...

My method on cars if it's a stick(manual), pour a good amount of MM in each cylinder leave the plugs out, get another car hook u a tow rope(not chain) to the frame not bumper. Then get to 5 or 10 miles an hour in the lead vehicle pulling the stuck in neutral, then drop the tow car into second and dump the clutch, worst stuck motor I dealt with that way only took 3 yanks to free it...

never broke a single ring breaking them loose this way either...

I've heard of people back in the 30's and 40's pouring in lamp oil and lighting that on fire, and using long breaker bars; but I never tried that route.

OldStfCycle
01-08-2013, 2:09 AM
Kroil oil is the bomb diggity

agreed, when I worked on gas turbines this stuff was the standard. dealing with tiny ass titanium bolts.

VPNick
01-08-2013, 11:33 AM
wow, really good info. Good looking out. I knew about ATF but we used it for clearing out grease lines at work. I am gonna have to mix up a batch of Acetone/ATF for sure

VPNick
01-08-2013, 11:39 AM
Damn me too. I just told somebody the other day that pb blaster was the best and to grab some of it. Now I'm gonna have to tell him about this. Thanks for that tip man

i told my buddy the same thing..."dude PB Blast is the best, fuck WD-40" Ha...I just sent him the link to this thread

RokDoctor
01-08-2013, 10:28 PM
Dude this is seriously useful.

Being an office jockey, I'd never heard of the AFT-acetone mix. Sweet.