PDA

View Full Version : Handy table lift and bumpy floor?

carbon
12-30-2012, 6:35 PM
Hi everybody. Long time lurker. Thinking of buying a Handy table lift as they are made in the usa, but my garage floor is made of concrete pavers and is not real smooth (was this way when bought). It's not massively uneven, but has 1/4" gaps and bumps. With this type of lift, half of the scissors roll on the ground as it goes up.

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/645/111116000sambig.jpg

I called Handy, and asked them if it'd work on my surface. They gave me the safe answer, which is "No."

So, I was thinking the other type of lift construction looks to be more forgiving re: the surface flatness. It's this K&L MC615R. It's rolls on it's own frame.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6176/mc615rposter52378132917.jpg

So, 1) Do you think the Handy will work? Maybe you have one on a bumpy surface? 2) Will the K&L one work better on my surface? 3) Where is the K&L one made? 4) Is there a easy way to make the surface flatter, like with plywood and shims?

Thanks guys.

xtankx
12-30-2012, 6:49 PM
You may want to try and make a platform on your current bumpy surface (with shims and level) for the handy lift to work on a smooth surface. We all do sketchy stuff but when it comes to serious investments like you're about to do, i'd say that a few more bills to get it right is the safest way.

Otherwise i'd realy go for a fixed base lift like the other one...

BrokenSprocketGarage
12-30-2012, 7:10 PM
I have used Handy lifts in shops I have worked at in the past. Good quality except the wheel vises would crack after a couple years. Granted this was in an H-D shop selling 300 bikes a year, maybe ten bikes on and off the lift a day. For a garage mechanic that may not be an issue.
Currently in my shop I use Direct Lift. Less expensive, same or better quality. No cracks in vise after 4 years. Buying another this spring with side extensions for ATV's ($849). 1000 lb capacity.
The wheels on either lift dont move a whole lot, but they will easily roll over a 3/8' air hose. I think the Handy will easily roll over your floor irregularities. Or, get a piece of steel plate wide enough and long enough to go under the wheels and it will work fine.

BuddhahoodVato
12-30-2012, 7:32 PM
Don't even trip, your good to go. Handys are tufffffffffffffffffffffff

longlivepunk
12-31-2012, 1:43 PM
Self-leveling cement to fill the cracks and call it a day?

carbon
12-31-2012, 1:54 PM
I didn't even know there was such a thing as self-leveling cement. Thanks for the replies. Looks like Handy it is!

SquashThatFly
12-31-2012, 2:39 PM
youd be amazed at what problems a piece of 3/4" plywood will solve

purerockfury
12-31-2012, 6:55 PM
youd be amazed at what problems a piece of 3/4" plywood will solve

i was just going to say the same thing...i have a handy lift and love it, great quality and i got mine for a steal

purerockfury
12-31-2012, 6:58 PM
you could always take some pavers out and form out a small like 3x7 area and pour a cement pad i couple inches thick...

JukeJointGypsy
01-01-2013, 8:54 AM
I have both of those lifts you pictured. The handy is by far the better lift. As far as the floor ,The plywood answer above is by far the easiest and will work. Also shop around for the handy lift, you can get it alot cheaper than you can going directly through Handy. I wish i could remember where i got mine. Maybe through K&L? I know it was 200 bux cheaper than going direct to Handy.

Mickey
01-01-2013, 9:44 AM
Just buy a sheet of this and take it with you if you move. You can also build off of it if you want to chop just make ure itis level.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HEAVY-DUTY-STEEL-PLATE-4-x-8-x-1-2-THICK-/140817289556?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c95d5154

Not a bad idea, or two U-beams culd work and you culd even bolt them to the floor.