12-30-2012, 6:21 PM
http://www.rothmetalflake.com/rattlebomb/rattlebomb_flake.html

thought you guys might like this for those who dont know of it

blackout
01-01-2013, 7:01 AM
those are junk don't waist your money.

blackout
01-01-2013, 7:34 AM
You can not get good flake out a rattle can. Can You?
You got another brand?

i have found a way to do flake with rattle can and a jar of little daddy roth.

Steps.

paint a base color on what ever you want to paint normally a black or white base. let it dry. after its dry lightly scuff it up.

next take the jar the flake came in take a drill and make a hole on one side of the jar big enough to fit a straw in to. then on the other side drill a hole just big enough to let the flake come out.

next take your rattle can clear and spray some where you want the flake. try to not do this on a very hot day cause the paint drys fast. after the clear in down and still wet. blow through the straw and the flake will shoot out the other end. keep putting clear down and blowing flake in to it. then after you have reached the desired look let it dry and take a can of Spray Max 2K clear and clear over everything.

thats how i did this can it came out great.
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/528634_4330046620987_1525786905_n.jpg

sixball
01-01-2013, 7:49 AM
Before all the BS started on the Jockey Journal and I posted over there, I did alittle "review" if you will with pics.

Bottom line: It's not bad, but not really worth the $$ for the results.

I did an Alien and a Sporty Frisco. The Alien I did with the purple. I think I used about 4? cans of purple flake on it, then I used some purple candy from Autozone. I didn;t clear that one, it sold before I finished it. It looked good, but at 20 bucks a can and 4? cans, I coulda shot it outa my gun and got larger flake.

The Sporty Frisco I did, I used Duplicolor MetalSpecks as a base then about 6? cans of Roth, then 2K clear. I did this all out of cans, just to see what results someone could get without a gun/compressor setup. The Frisco turned out real nice and the flake was heavy, but again, 6 cans at 20 bucks, do the math......

The Roth in the can, doesn't add color like you would think it would coming out of a can. You have to have a color base, and you have to use SEVERAL cans to get the look of flake, otherwise, it will just look like mini metalic spray paint that you can get for a fraction of the cost.

The market they were after was the rattelcan garage type guy. I have nothing against that, I've rattelcanned alot even though I have the "proper" equipment, I'm just lazy sometimes. I would think a guy could come up with some sort of flake shaker with some creativity and use larger flake on a spraybomb tank and get better results.

You can get the flake look out of the Roth Rattelbomb, but be prepared to buy ALOT more cans than you normally would for a tank.

Sixball

sixball
01-01-2013, 7:52 AM
As I was typing that long ass reply, Blackout showed just what I was talking about. Making a flake shaker with some creativity. You'll get alot better results the way he did it, instead of the Roth in the can

Sixball

offbeat
01-01-2013, 10:20 AM
I just bought two cans of this a few days ago to paint my girls lid. I'll let ya know how it turns out.

Saltytonk
01-01-2013, 10:55 AM

Steps.

paint a base color on what ever you want to paint normally a black or white base. let it dry. after its dry lightly scuff it up.

next take the jar the flake came in take a drill and make a hole on one side of the jar big enough to fit a straw in to. then on the other side drill a hole just big enough to let the flake come out.

next take your rattle can clear and spray some where you want the flake. try to not do this on a very hot day cause the paint drys fast. after the clear in down and still wet. blow through the straw and the flake will shoot out the other end. keep putting clear down and blowing flake in to it. then after you have reached the desired look let it dry and take a can of Spray Max 2K clear and clear over everything.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/528634_4330046620987_1525786905_n.jpg

Hey Bro. The clear you used during shooting flake ....what kind is it ?did you use the 2K the whole time or only for final clear?

To everyone else ...I've seen this tank in person and it really looks nice!

blackout
01-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Hey Bro. The clear you used during shooting flake ....what kind is it ?did you use the 2K the whole time or only for final clear?

To everyone else ...I've seen this tank in person and it really looks nice!

I used duplacolor to lay the flake down cause its cheap then used the 2K over that since its resistant to gas and will hold up better.

Saltytonk
01-01-2013, 11:33 AM
cool thanks !

sonny
01-01-2013, 11:58 AM
roth flake is cheap , i dont see why anyone would buy 18 dollar rattle cans . i have seen my father in the 70s use a pepper shaker to lay down his flake over wet clear coat

nunez8853
01-01-2013, 2:08 PM
hey fellas sorry im late on the reply

for the record guys I never used it i was just searching and I can across it and it seemed legit. Tis why i posted i knew id get some opinions and I did so the conciseness is that its shitty for the price

So you guys say that you get a better quality flake from the spraying your own flake, vise pre mixed cans??

sonny
01-01-2013, 3:04 PM
hey fellas sorry im late on the reply

for the record guys I never used it i was just searching and I can across it and it seemed legit. Tis why i posted i knew id get some opinions and I did so the conciseness is that its shitty for the price

So you guys say that you get a better quality flake from the spraying your own flake, vise pre mixed cans??
not sure better but cheaper , heres front fender i did . this is before heavy clear and wet sanding . flake cost about 2 bucks for 2 fenders and fatbobs
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u246/sonnydazegunsmithing/2012-12-02_14-13-10_522.jpg

sonny
01-01-2013, 3:06 PM

Steps.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/528634_4330046620987_1525786905_n.jpghttp://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u246/sonnydazegunsmithing/2012-12-02_14-13-10_522.jpg
wanted to see you tank next to my fender , i used hok blurple base

3Deuces
01-02-2013, 6:28 AM
I used it with good results, IMO. This is surfite silver base with warm beer flake and custard pie candy. Used Spraymax 2K clear over top. This pic is uncut and no buff.

MurrayEliminator
01-02-2013, 7:11 AM
I used rattle can flake i bought at Ace hardwear store on this small engine. came out real nice. and the flake was like 7.00 a can,, then i used some krylon x metals cangy over it to het a more lime color, then a few coats of clear over it.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae154/murray-eliminator/Mini%20Bikes/My%20Cat%20Slingshot/CatSlingshot020.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae154/murray-eliminator/Mini%20Bikes/My%20Cat%20Slingshot/CatSlingshot004-4.jpg

sixball
01-02-2013, 10:01 AM
Let me explain myself alittle better: I liked the results of the green tank that I did, it had heavy flake in it, but I think I had about 6 cans of the Roth flake in it to get the look I was after. There is not much "paint" in the can, so it doesn't get real think when spraying using multiple cans, so you can go with as many as you want without fear of having so many layers of paint it will crack.

I switched computers since then, and can't get any pics of the tanks I did. My only complaint with the stuff is the price. If you just use the silver base and a can of the flake your just getting a metalic paint job, not a flake job in my opinion. So if you want the heavy flake look, you'll have to buy multiple cans, and at 20 bucks, it adds up quick.

If you really want a rattlecan heavy flake job, I'd go the route Blackout went. The results would show heavier flake, and cheaper too.

The engine MurrayEliminator did looks awesome, and shows a heavier flake look than just a single can of Roth. I've used the X Metals before, but it's an Enamel, so be carefull with what you are using for base and top coats and your timeframes of shooting.

Sixball

Jeffy
01-02-2013, 3:09 PM
The look on that minibike is nice. What brand flake spray did you use on that? I know you said from ace but what brand specifically if you remeber. That really isnt too bad looking and id bet itll do it for 20-30$

Jeffy
01-02-2013, 3:10 PM
And where can you buy the 2k clear? Local kick ass paint stores or anything more run of the mill?

Nosebleed
01-02-2013, 6:41 PM
Murray, that minibike is killer! Do you have full pics of the bike? Also, any more info on that paint from Ace Hardware, brand or anything? Paint job looks great.
:cheersmate:

offbeat
01-19-2013, 4:31 PM
Here is a picture as promised. Not the best but I'll take a better one in the sunlight. I sprayed it right over grey primer because...well, because I don't listen. Took three cans to get almost full coverage and you can still see a little bit of the primer up close. Buried the flake in about a can of clear. Decent product but not for the money. But if you want some quick and easy flake, I'd imagine it'd look great with two cans and proper basecoat.

edit: I don't know why the picture's sideways, I uploaded it straight

oldmansporty63
01-19-2013, 10:11 PM
since we are on the topic of flake and cost, i found this.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/Customshop/ksflake.aspx#flakebuster_div

no tag line here