PDA

View Full Version : AHHHHHHHH!!! Links? Anybody? Where?

outlawTA
12-30-2012, 11:02 AM
Call me what you will but where the hell can I order extra links and a master link to make my chain longer? :banghead:

CaviMike
12-30-2012, 11:29 AM
You don't. You buy a new chain.

outlawTA
12-30-2012, 11:47 AM
Oh c'mon! Absolutely no way to lengthen? I mean i know the chains I work with on the plant are massive and bicycle chains are tiny but I know damn well links can be added or taken away... i think... isn't that the point of master links and half links and what-not? I'm wrong aren't I? Fuck.

ibuiltmine
12-30-2012, 11:54 AM
get a chain breaker, but if you add stuff to a chain, its gotta be a brand new, never used chain, otherwise the pins will come out on the road! I use half links on the gokart, but not the motorcycle.

Stubs
12-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Swap meet!

outlawTA
12-30-2012, 12:01 PM
Right. Now I'm on the same page with that. All new stuff definitely. My issue right now is finding where I can buy six new links and a master link. Any ideas? Thanks fellas.

Jetblack
12-30-2012, 12:02 PM
Yep, to do it proper you need a chain breaker tool; when I was younger and didn't have that fancy shit, I just used either a chisel or a good flat head and a hammer to pop out a link. If you have in Ace hardware near you they will have some master links and possibly chain lengths. For safety I suppose you should have two masters in it...again when I didn't have access to that shit I just popped the regular link back on...sometimes the link you split will bend but a hammer on a surface will flatten that back out.

Mind you, hitting up a cycles shop or salvage or even craigslist if lucky for another chain or donor; to do things proper is the best route...even though; I never had an issue with the lack o resources fixes from being younger. I wouldn't go that route now unless...it was a road tripping in a pinch situation.

Knuckleduster
12-30-2012, 12:13 PM
An alternative is to get a custom length chain, some places sell chain " by the link" so you can order any length required. I personally ran into a slight snafu when attempting to locate a stock chain for the Trident. See normally motorcycle chains are sold in even link lengths, but my bike requires an odd number link chain. you can also use half links for other needs , i.e. if it falls between an even / odd number of links. Also take into consideration chain tensioners, chain/axle adjusters and where the axle hits in the frame. just some thughts

outlawTA
12-30-2012, 12:29 PM
I'm with you there Knucleduster. That's essentially what i had in mind. Know any joints that sell chain like that? I can't find any around yet. Thanks for the input.

MIKE47
12-30-2012, 1:03 PM
This isn't that hard. Hit up any local bike shop and they should have a few links around that they'll sell you for the price of a cup of coffee. I have short pieces that I take off of new chains in a drawer here so I'm sure a service shop would have the same. I would press a pin out and back in and peen it real good but I've used 2 master links before as well.

ibuiltmine
12-30-2012, 2:21 PM
Right. Now I'm on the same page with that. All new stuff definitely. My issue right now is finding where I can buy six new links and a master link. Any ideas? Thanks fellas.

buy a new chain and take 6 links off it. then next time you need a longer chain, take 6 more off it. I got a couple different chains coiled up in a coffee can with a squirt of WD40 on there to preserve them. Regualr ol chains are pretty cheap.

ARBY
12-30-2012, 4:18 PM
"You can't always git whatchoo wa-ant. You can't always git whatchoo wa-ant. You can't always git whatchoo wa-ant. But if you try sometimes, ya jus might find, you can get whatchoo need!!!

CaviMike
12-30-2012, 5:08 PM
buy a new chain and take 6 links off it. then next time you need a longer chain, take 6 more off it. I got a couple different chains coiled up in a coffee can with a squirt of WD40 on there to preserve them. Regualr ol chains are pretty cheap.

WD40? I hope you're joking. WD40 evaporates and leaves metal drier than it was before. Use oil.

ibuiltmine
12-30-2012, 5:51 PM
WD40? I hope you're joking. WD40 evaporates and leaves metal drier than it was before. Use oil.

well, yeah. I use a spray oil thats meant for preserving metal parts. Its from Amsoil, but was just eaier to say wd40 at the moment. plus its on a sealed container, so no evaporation happening in there.