PDA

View Full Version : making battery cables

nunez8853
12-29-2012, 2:51 AM
Im thinking about making some custom length cables I know im going to use 4 gage wire, Im going to hit up granger tomorrow if its open to see what they have as far as prices and such,

i read that some people use car audio wire cause its very flexible and easy to work with and has better connectivity any opinions??? and what would you feel more comforablt on your bike a crimped cable or a soldered/brazed cable

just want some thoughts or opinions before I get to it

CaviMike
12-29-2012, 6:47 AM
You won't need 4ga wire, 8ga will be just fine for that short of a distance. Good car audio power wire is better than other types of wire - it has better insulation that won't dry out and crack, a slightly higher quality conductor, and as you mentioned it's much more flexible due to the many strands in it. It's also twice as expensive because of all of that. Just make sure that you're buying real copper wire, a lot of shops sell CCA wire - CCA stands for Copper-Clad Aluminum and it's exactly what it sounds like, it's aluminum wire with a copper plating. It's fucking garbage. You want OFC(oxygen free copper) wire.

And yes, solder those connections.

53rigid
12-29-2012, 7:50 AM
You do not have to solder if you have the right crimper for that big of cable. I run car audio power wire for my battery and ground. 4 gauge. I have one of the crimpers for these large size wires and it does not make a mess from trying to get the wire hot enough to melt the solder. The jacket gets all kinds of sloppy from the heat.

FXD1369
12-29-2012, 10:12 AM
I like to use welding cable, as it is a flexible alternative to battery cable. I personally use a solder slug terminal connection...simple, clean and provides a perfect connection.

here is a link on the way to do it.Video shows a traditional battery terminal, but you can get a variety of terminals from Del City.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXDkNMDDrBs

ajInMs
12-29-2012, 11:24 AM
Crimper for battery cables equals a vise and a hammer.

ftwmotors
12-29-2012, 11:30 AM

Agreed.

I also use a small torch to heat up the terminal just enough to melt a little bit of solder into the cable.

Don't get it too hot and don't use too much solder or you will end up with a stiff joint that will eventually crack.

53rigid
12-29-2012, 11:38 AM

Yea, if you want a big flat terminal....

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t212/d-sb-1/crimper.jpg

I have been installing car audio since 1990 and this works like a champ. Plus, if you go with car audio wire, you can get different colors....

ajInMs
12-29-2012, 11:47 AM
Yea, if you want a big flat terminal....

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t212/d-sb-1/crimper.jpg

I have been installing car audio since 1990 and this works like a champ. Plus, if you go with car audio wire, you can get different colors....

I think you really just wanted to tell everybody about your car audio experience. Bravo. Terminals are usually flat and who in the hell has that contraption laying around? It's a battery cable, not rocket science. Moving on.

53rigid
12-29-2012, 11:49 AM
I think you really just wanted to tell everybody about your car audio experience. Bravo. Terminals are usually flat and who in the hell has that contraption laying around? It's a battery cable, not rocket science. Moving on.

you mad bro? I was just letting everyone there is a different way to do things. I only stated my experience to show that these things work and that I have used it for years.. nope, you do not have to use it, but I like my shit looking good.

Now I am moving on.

ajInMs
12-29-2012, 12:04 PM
you mad bro? I was just letting everyone there is a different way to do things. I only stated my experience to show that these things work and that I have used it for years.. nope, you do not have to use it, but I like my shit looking good.

Now I am moving on.

Yes I'm mad that I don't have pretty colored wire and symmetrical crimps on the 4,000 battery cable ends I've made for electric golf carts and I just felt like busting your acorns for funsies. I like putting chewing gum and glitter on the ends as well. I recommend Juicy fruit gum also. It hardens and holds the glitter and connection extremely well. It's almost like tig welding your battery cable to your bike with a magic wand that only wizards of cable making have at their disposal.

Nevertheless, I digress. I stayed up way to late. Sorry for coming off like a donkey dook. Options are always good and there is always more ways than one and that's what this place is all about. :cheersmate:

FXD1369
12-29-2012, 12:12 PM
There are plenty of ways to do this...some are clean and professional, some are inexpensive and functional, some look and work like monkey shit. Guess it all depends on what you want the end result to be.

I know I have had to fix most electrical connection on most my bikes by people taking the make it work approach. Kinda like parts...you get what you pay for! Electrical is as good as the time and thought you put into it.

estevefr
12-29-2012, 12:41 PM
i have done them in the past by putting the fitting in the drill stand and countersinking ,not drilling thru on the top then put a big ball bearing in the countersink put the cable in fitting put assembly in the vice tighten up done ball bearing falls off good contact ,neat and no melted outer covering

nunez8853
12-29-2012, 1:11 PM
how here is another thought, I have some crap wire just laying around and its a pos ccable wiht one of those big ass fuses in line maybe i can use one of those for the just in case thing???

and have it tucked away thoughts?

nunez8853
12-29-2012, 1:13 PM
scrap not crap hahahah

53rigid
12-29-2012, 1:16 PM
scrap not crap hahahah

you could, but normally the wire from the battery to the selenoid and starter is not fused because you would need a pretty large fuse based on what those damn starters pull....

nunez8853
12-29-2012, 1:28 PM
very true man didnt think of that hahaha. good call

CaviMike
12-29-2012, 1:48 PM
Ditch the fuse. The fuse will limit current to the starter. No starters have fuses.

BrokenSprocketGarage
12-29-2012, 9:48 PM
Do it right the first time! Crimp the connections with the proper tool, solder it and cover it with heat shrink tube. 4, 6 or 8 gauge will work. The larger the cable, the better it will move the current. It's as simple as that

blackesthart
12-30-2012, 12:27 AM
Juicey fruit ? Really I'm going to to get some now! But Really that blue thing works great I have one and I've used it to make all kinds of cables over the years

Sent from my WM8850-mid using Tapatalk HD

labdude2
12-30-2012, 7:24 AM
Im thinking about making some custom length cables I know im going to use 4 gage wire, Im going to hit up granger tomorrow if its open to see what they have as far as prices and such,

i read that some people use car audio wire cause its very flexible and easy to work with and has better connectivity any opinions??? and what would you feel more comforablt on your bike a crimped cable or a soldered/brazed cable

just want some thoughts or opinions before I get to it

if you got $2.99 for a foot of marine grade wire go that way, plus if there is a west marine near you you can use the store crimper no charge cheers...

sactojon
12-30-2012, 8:49 PM
I went to a car audio install shop & scored about 3 feet of scrap 4ga power cable with a clear blue covering for free! Super flexible ,soldered some terminals on & red heatshrink over pos terminal & black over the neg. Works sweet.