PDA

View Full Version : N1 Drum Shift Pattern (opinions needed)

ElvisCastillo
12-28-2012, 12:30 PM
I'm considering going with a N1 drum shift pattern (that is N-1-2-3-4-5) and I'm looking for pros and cons from those of you familiar with this setup.

Thanks in advance guys!

Revelator
12-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Pros: Great, especially if you have a foot clutch.

Cons: May take some time getting used to, especially if you have been riding for many years
with a "normal" setup.

If You ride other bikes, beside the bike with the N1 setup, You may find yourself making mistakes if You don't remember which bike you are on the entire time you are on the bike.

woz
12-28-2012, 1:02 PM
is there a modification to a factory 4speed that can be done to make this work? or are you talking about buying a whole new trans (i know baker offers that option)

ElvisCastillo
12-28-2012, 2:16 PM
Pros: Great, especially if you have a foot clutch.

Cons: May take some time getting used to, especially if you have been riding for many years
with a "normal" setup.

If You ride other bikes, beside the bike with the N1 setup, You may find yourself making mistakes if You don't remember which bike you are on the entire time you are on the bike.

Great points... especially since I'm not running a foot clutch setup it might not be worth it. Thanks!

ElvisCastillo
12-28-2012, 2:17 PM
is there a modification to a factory 4speed that can be done to make this work? or are you talking about buying a whole new trans (i know baker offers that option)

Baker has the option to go with the N1 Drum Shift Pattern setup in new transmissions but I believe also makes a kit for aftermarket applications (I could be wrong about that 2nd part).

BerserkerBlue
12-28-2012, 2:18 PM

I know you can buy just the N1 shift drum for ratchet 4-speeds, so you don't have to buy a whole new tranny. I dunno about any other trannys though.

BuddhahoodVato
12-28-2012, 3:54 PM

baker sells a NI shifting drum, a little work, but kewl as fuck if ya wanna bang the gears.
or turn your arm upside down,thats if it's a ratchet, hehe, you will figure it out.
It's all good.

Lindy
12-28-2012, 4:02 PM
I recently bought a frankentranny with the N1 shift drum, I still use a hand clutch but just wanted it anyway, if I had to go back I probably would buy the normal 1N2345 drum as I will probably never try and jockey shift the thing.

JMFNC
12-28-2012, 7:20 PM
If you're not hand shifting or racing, seems unnecessary.

BadMonkeyMW
12-29-2012, 11:37 AM
I installed one in my friend's 5 speed a while back, but it was brought on by the fact that he hand shifts the bike and has a prosthetic leg on one side.

I will say, it is a very nicely made unit and the transmission shifts very precisely now. Definitely no big benefit if you're not hand shifting it, but a quality piece either way.

ElvisCastillo
12-29-2012, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the opinions guys. After much thought and many minutes of deliberation (aka one 15 minute beer drinking session) we determined that we will be going with the standard shift pattern. We wont be running a foot clutch or racing the bike... and it would be nice to jump on one of the other bikes without forgetting and fucking something up.

rwhite97
12-29-2012, 3:56 PM
Does anyone know if the baker n1 drum will fit in a revtech 5 in a 4 spd?

ElvisCastillo
12-30-2012, 7:39 PM
Does anyone know if the baker n1 drum will fit in a revtech 5 in a 4 spd?

Not sure about that, but I can ask the rep I'm working with next week and get back to ya.

rwhite97
12-31-2012, 8:20 AM
Not sure about that, but I can ask the rep I'm working with next week and get back to ya.

Thanks man that would really be a huge help

rwhite97
01-07-2013, 4:27 PM
Hey elviscastillo did you ever get an answer from your rep?