PDA

View Full Version : Trying to figure out how much over...

NHMike
12-28-2012, 8:12 AM
I'm planning to pick up over length tubes for the Unicorn Slayer. I'd like to try and get a general idea of which height I like best, +4 or +6. If I throw a couple blocks under the front wheel, what'll give me a good representation of what to expect? I figure if I throw 6" blocks under the wheel it'll look taller than it actually would be. Thanks.

NHMike: Hardcore since 1973

JMFNC
12-28-2012, 8:22 AM
Measure six inches above your forks following their plane and the measure straight down to the ground. Compare that with the normal ride height to see how much to put under the front wheel

Hope that helps, other than that, I'm useless

NHMike
12-28-2012, 10:00 AM
Measure six inches above your forks following their plane and the measure straight down to the ground. Compare that with the normal ride height to see how much to put under the front wheel

Hope that helps, other than that, I'm useless

That makes sense. At least then I'll know how to block it so I can step back and get an idea of what will work. Thanks.

NHMike: Hardcore since 1973

mlc216
12-28-2012, 10:16 AM
Take your top caps off your fork tubes, loosen the tree clamps and slide the tubes down 4" or 6" and clamp them down with the lower tree. You should have at least 6" of room there to slide the tubes down... You won't be able to ride it like that, but you can see what it does to the bike's stance and sit on it and get a good idea.

Brendden
12-28-2012, 10:54 AM
Wheres the build thread?

SyndicateChoppers
12-28-2012, 12:12 PM
Take your top caps off your fork tubes, loosen the tree clamps and slide the tubes down 4" or 6" and clamp them down with the lower tree. You should have at least 6" of room there to slide the tubes down... You won't be able to ride it like that, but you can see what it does to the bike's stance and sit on it and get a good idea.

Yes this is a pretty good way to do it to get a good visual of how it will look

worn
12-28-2012, 4:06 PM
What bike is the Unicorn Slayer? Sportster?
This is my Sportster a few years ago, 5" over, no rake. Looks like crap and felt kinda tippy at low speeds, but fine once rolling.
I raked it 5 degrees and it looked and handled much better.