PDA

View Full Version : what are these grips made out of?

EnglandStGarage
08-10-2009, 9:22 PM
first of all this bike is fucking awesome. if you scroll a couple pics over you can see grips, theyre pretty cool but i cant figure out what they are? any ideas? they look like just leather wrap but im hoping some leather buffs out there can specify on how these are made and where to get materials.
wouldn't let me copy the pics so heres the link.

http://www.falconmotorcycles.com/gallery/1-The%20Bullet%20.html#0

justin666
08-10-2009, 9:32 PM
that looks like road bike bar tape covered in electrical tape or something....

eightthirtysixcc
08-10-2009, 9:32 PM
Racket tape, now that you know... Just use normal people grips.

justin666
08-10-2009, 9:33 PM
ahhh racket tape seems more right. ha

EnglandStGarage
08-10-2009, 9:40 PM
Racket tape, now that you know... Just use normal people grips.

now why would i wanna go do a thing like that?

i thought it was racket tape too but i dunno. it looks shinier and thicker to me. maybe im wrong.

eightthirtysixcc
08-10-2009, 9:45 PM
now why would i wanna go do a thing like that?

i thought it was racket tape too but i dunno. it looks shinier and thicker to me. maybe im wrong.

It's like painting rust on a tank.

EnglandStGarage
08-10-2009, 10:06 PM
ooohh have to disagree with you there. cant stand fake patina and painting rust on something that rusts naturally is just kinda a waste and obviously will never look like the real thing. im happy with my max schaaf grips but i was just wondering for future reference. either way i think it looks good on that particular bike.

BigDawg
08-10-2009, 10:21 PM
Racket tape, eh? I'm surprised they didn't use pure old fashion sex like they did on the rest of that bike.

superflysnow
08-10-2009, 10:44 PM
for whatever its worth, I disagree... It looks like hockey stick tape to me. Its the old standby dudes have been running it for a grip. It is cheaper, comes in white or black, and the roll is much longer than the foam racket tape....

i just took up tennis (dont ask) it is def. not what i use on any of the rackets i've played with, but racket tape comes in way more colors...

Halwade
08-10-2009, 11:30 PM
I've wrapped some road bike bars AND some tennis racquet grips in my day, so let me tell you... there is some good shit out there for motorcycle grips if that's the look you're gunnin' for.

My favorites:

Velo "gel" handlebar tape, non perforated

Velo cork tape

Babolat stock replacement tennis grip wrap

I've also seen 12 guage wire and friction tape used to good effect.

Try different shit and be creative. It's fun, and it's cheap.

justin666
08-11-2009, 12:00 AM
I've wrapped some road bike bars AND some tennis racquet grips in my day, so let me tell you... there is some good shit out there for motorcycle grips if that's the look you're gunnin' for.

My favorites:

Velo "gel" handlebar tape, non perforated

Velo cork tape

Babolat stock replacement tennis grip wrap

I've also seen 12 guage wire and friction tape used to good effect.

Try different shit and be creative. It's fun, and it's cheap.

velo cork tape is the way to go if you decide to use bar tape

americanjunky
08-11-2009, 12:23 AM
for whatever its worth, I disagree... It looks like hockey stick tape to me. Its the old standby dudes have been running it for a grip. It is cheaper, comes in white or black, and the roll is much longer than the foam racket tape....

i just took up tennis (dont ask) it is def. not what i use on any of the rackets i've played with, but racket tape comes in way more colors...

Hockey tape was my frst thought also, something just don't seem like racket tape to me.
That bike was certainly dripped in hot wet sex though.

Spoke
08-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Hockey tape was my frst thought also, something just don't seem like racket tape to me.
That bike was certainly dripped in hot wet sex though.

"Dripped in hot wet sex" Sounds like someone needds to take a cold shower

imtheslime
08-11-2009, 10:33 AM
old bicycle inner tube.