PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing engines on Ebay

xbmxxx
12-27-2012, 11:30 PM
Who has done it? How'd it turn out?

I will be in the market for a used EVO 1200 here in the next few months (once I pay off my current CC bill) and it's looking like Ebay will be about my only option since I will have to pay with paypal.

I am sketched out about buying a used engine though, especially one I cant put my hands on and verify its condition.

any advice?

Brendden
12-27-2012, 11:58 PM
Who has done it? How'd it turn out?

I will be in the market for a used EVO 1200 here in the next few months (once I pay off my current CC bill) and it's looking like Ebay will be about my only option since I will have to pay with paypal.

I am sketched out about buying a used engine though, especially one I cant put my hands on and verify its condition.

any advice?

see if someone on cc is local and can give it a once over for you maybe.

12-28-2012, 1:42 AM
if you find a motor ask if they can show any paperwork showing mileage, any work done on motor etc...

nunez8853
12-28-2012, 2:03 AM
my .26 pesos

to damn sketchy man Id never. especially ebay iv been fucked over to many times with little shit, none the less a motor. to hell with that if you cant see it or get it from a person that has a kick ass record dont even bother

http://www.salvagemotorcycleparts.net/indoor-salvage-yard

these guys are pretty ok, iv delt with them once or twice. they may have what your looking for,

worth looking into again just my opinion. I heard about these kat from donna ann cycles out of las cruses NM. they recommend them highly.

Evidence
12-28-2012, 5:50 AM
If its an individual, be careful. There are businesses that do things like sell engines and basically run junk yards on eBay. Some of them have start up warranties, which would be your best bet. A friend of mine bought a 636 engine with a start up warranty, and had no problems with it.

kawijake
12-28-2012, 7:20 AM
^ what he said. Pinwall cycles is a great ebay mc junk yard source. They will def have a 1200 evo sporty motor. They show disasssembly videos, run videos, and will give you as much paperwork as possible. They are based in ohio.

aaronrkelly
12-28-2012, 7:28 AM
^ what he said. Pinwall cycles is a great ebay mc junk yard source. They will def have a 1200 evo sporty motor. They show disasssembly videos, run videos, and will give you as much paperwork as possible. They are based in ohio.

Ive bought a few things from those guys.....they seem honest and the stuff I bought from them was as described.. They seem to have a ton of supply. Id give em a call atleast.

HumblePie68
12-28-2012, 7:37 AM
The BIGGEST issue , is having it shipped ! Cost and packing. Most folks can't pack a gas tank proper let alone a motor. and a motor like that is easy to find, I would stick to looking local so you can inspect it ,,and get it home in one piece

maxcapacity
12-28-2012, 8:29 AM
+1 for Pinwall in Ohio.

I've bought a bunch of smaller stuff from them over the years and never had a problem. They aren't cheap on shipping, but everything is packed right. I've never had any issues with stuff getting damaged in shipping and don't mind paying a little extra to know it's gonna arrive in good condition.

TimB1640
01-12-2013, 9:44 AM
don't buy from cyclewarehouse.com! i bought a 2001 sportster sport motor from them and it was suppoedly a good running motor and after i had it awhile i decided i wanted to have the cases powder coated black and as i was pulling the motor apart i found 5 cracks in it. 2 cracks in the bottom sump area and 3 of the 4 rear bolt holes in the rear mount cracked and the dick head wouldn't replace the cases. he's a fucking scumbag and he charges way too much for his SHIT. they are out of butler pa. cycle source did an article on them in the feb 2012 issue and i can tell you from experiance it's all bullshit

SquashThatFly
01-12-2013, 10:27 AM

+1 on Pinwall Cycles. Theyre out of Ohio. Ive bought parts from them before. Great to deal with and usually they always have videos showing the motor running

and yes cyclewarehouse is a joke.

They actually told me that i could not count when i received a 36 hole wheel instead of the 40 hole harley rim that the auction clearly was for and showed. I had to number each hole and take a photo of it to prove to them that i didnt get the right part. Took almost a month to return the damn thing

sgilliesjr
01-12-2013, 11:07 AM
I despise eBay! I have lost about $500 dollars with them both buying and selling. I closed my account this Christmas after purchasing some tooling for a lathe then the deal going south. To be honest though if your a buyer and they haven't changed their buyer protection it's almost impossible for you to get screwed. If you get the motor and it's not as described you can open a case and get everything including shipping refunded, even if the seller says you will be responsible for shipping. It will take a few months but you will get it back. Personally I am done with eBay, I am going to try eBid, nowhere as big as eBay but they are suppose to be growing pretty fast from everyone leaving eBay.

SinisterRouge
01-12-2013, 11:07 AM
good thread! every now and again i see a nightster motor on there and i think about snagging one up as a spare. but ive always been a bit sketched out about picking a motor up off ebay

kawijake
01-12-2013, 11:16 AM
Sgillie i hear you man. They make it so the buyer gets it all. You literally as a buyer can scam about anything it is total horse shit. I have had no bad experiences in my years of buying on ebay. I decided to start selling some old parts and will NEVER fuck with it again. I sold three sets of bars on there no reserve, got 20 bucks. The dude said he only recieved two sets and reported me. Im like WTFF you piece of shit. I even sent in pre ship photos to ebay that showed three sets in there. They kept the bars, and put a hold on the 20 in paypal so i just refunded it and said fuck it. The final straw was when i sold a kawi windscreen for 130 bucks. Buyer said they never recieved it. Filed a complaint, put a hold on my paypal payment from them and refunded their money. Never saw the windscreen again either. I will say from many experiences, buying on ebay is foolproof. But i wouldnt sell anything you dont care about risking that is for certain.

bkrtrsh
01-12-2013, 11:30 AM
I despise eBay! I have lost about $500 dollars with them both buying and selling. I closed my account this Christmas after purchasing some tooling for a lathe then the deal going south. To be honest though if your a buyer and they haven't changed their buyer protection it's almost impossible for you to get screwed. If you get the motor and it's not as described you can open a case and get everything including shipping refunded, even if the seller says you will be responsible for shipping. It will take a few months but you will get it back. Personally I am done with eBay, I am going to try eBid, nowhere as big as eBay but they are suppose to be growing pretty fast from everyone leaving eBay.

I'll let you decide what this means.. I made a purchase on e-bid a while back and the package arrived with an e-bay postage tag on it. And it was the wrong part. ????

sgilliesjr
01-12-2013, 11:40 AM
I'll let you decide what this means.. I made a purchase on e-bid a while back and the package arrived with an e-bay postage tag on it. And it was the wrong part. ????

After reading this I googled eBay buys eBid and found this link. I can't validate this, I mean it is the fucking Internet, but it could explain your experience.

aaronc
01-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Man Ive seen some flatheads on there that I wanted but chickened out from fear of getting a pile of scrap.

ibuiltmine
01-12-2013, 11:51 AM
i have bought tons of shit from pinwall on ebay. you look for used motorcycle parts on ebay and they are about all that comes up!

61xlh
01-12-2013, 5:35 PM
dont EVER buy anything from marshall hagge in chicago. he has like 250,000 different names on ebay. screwed me on a 650 unit motor. paid 450 bucks for a complete motor. 3 months later, i fainally got it in three different boxes. it was almost worthless. the bottom motor mount was crushed, and the kicker is, after months of bitching, and dealing with 4 different people on his behalf, and a claim on ebay i fainally got my shit. the ENTIRE CRANCKCASE WAS FILLED WITH SAND.
YOU DID NOT MISREAD THAT LAST SENTENCE.
i dont want to suggest all ebay traders are bad. i sold a guy in england an a10 motor in many pieces. i had bought all new parts to rebuild it, and included them, (it was, in essence, a complete new motor)
in transit, the right case was broken where the dynamo was mounted, but the guy wrote it off.
i offered to make it right, and he did also.
im just saying. be very careful, read his feedback, and most of all, COMMUNICATE.
dont wait to say "wheres my shit" ell ebay immediately. it may not help. but it cant hurt.
sometimes people just really suck, and they are too far away to go and kick their ass,.

XbrooklynX
01-13-2013, 12:41 AM
I bought an 87 FXR motor off ebay. Pile of shit. Guy said it was in perfect working order blah blah blah. Almost worth trying to find a cheap donor bike locally and then sell off the other parts.

TimB1640
01-13-2013, 12:48 AM
my mistake was paying by money order. another one i've had bad dealings with is red barron choppers. i bought one of their frames (after market ) and nothing was straight on it and when i called them they lied to me. the guy told me he just happened to have the owners cell phone and that was the way they build their frames. a lot of other people were also unhappy with their shit. i ended up building my own frame with the help of tigman

Nosebleed
01-13-2013, 1:29 AM
IVe been looking at EVO XL motors for sale for about a year and Pinwall on ebay always has most of the ones for sale, but geez, they are expensive!!! Yes, they seem to have a good name online and they tend to sell their motors mostly complete, even with manifold/carb/intake/ignition etc, but they often want $1600-2000 for an XL motor plus $200-300 shipping.

Craigslist.

TimB1640
01-13-2013, 4:32 PM
IVe been looking at EVO XL motors for sale for about a year and Pinwall on ebay always has most of the ones for sale, but geez, they are expensive!!! Yes, they seem to have a good name online and they tend to sell their motors mostly complete, even with manifold/carb/intake/ignition etc, but they often want $1600-2000 for an XL motor plus $200-300 shipping.

Craigslist.

that's cheap compared to what i paid for a sportster sport motor

SouthBayBobber
01-13-2013, 7:48 PM
Im glad this thread keeps going...Im gonna be looking for a sporty engine pretty quick myself. While local pickup is maybe better, I feel like you can screwed either way. Pinwall might be expensive buy they DO have videos of the bikes running and insure most of their engines as good runners.

TimB1640
01-13-2013, 9:56 PM
if i was to ever buy another motor on ebay i would go through paypal then you have protection and i would also try and pick it up myself or just buy a whole bike and part it out and keep what i want and sell the rest to help pay for the build